Help me remember the name of this game!

Is it Imperium Galactum - Wikipedia ?

This is what I thought of when reading the description. So many memories popped up.

Played it on an Atari 800xl.

On MobyGames, Gigatrek and Planet Miners seem to fit some aspects of your description. Maybe one of those?

That looks similar, but looking through an Atari site I think I found it (or a clone), Galaxy. I had forgotten all about the 400/800 and you led me to find this. Thanks!

Glad I could help! Brought back a lot of memories of game I’d forgotten.

Not because I’m old you understand.

At all.

I can’t find the thread just now but it turns out the game that was on the tip of my tongue for years was…

Ignition!

There was a game. Late 90s, perhaps? Early 2000s? At least 20 years old. It reminded me of something ‘sim’. Sim Ant? No. Sim City? No. There were pretty detailed ‘jungle’ or ‘trees’ for the time period, isomorphic view, tile based. I remember… building something over those trees. There were little white birds that flew out of the trees sometimes. Something about… water. Rivers nearby? Soil? Fences? Powerlines being built? Were you building a theme park? A city? A road? I don’t remember!

Sounds like a pretty accurate description of Black & White XD

SimIsle maybe?

It might be SimIsle! Great guess! Although… that UI doesn’t shake any bananas from the tree. I think it was around the time of Outpost, a bad game that I didn’t really realize was bad at the time. “Have a nice day!”. But that box art for SimIsle really rings a bell.

Oh, good one. Wasn’t Chicago yet, lol.

Oh wow. I’m behind on this thread, but I had recently watched a video on Ignition because GOG had it on sale and it looked interesting. IIRC, I liked the art direction, but the camera was too zoomed in for me I think.

There is a game that I bought a long while ago (20 years ago?) online. It was one of my first online purchases, at a time where the “indie game” thing hadn’t quite been coined yet.
I think regularly about it, but can’t for the life of me remember its name, to this day.
It was very inexpensive, about 4$. It was a clone of Bokosuka Wars. I can’t really describe it better than that. It was mostly a pure clone of it, although I think you could generate new troops, and it was scrolling from right to left instead of left to right?
It had a very peculiar graphical style, like old scriptures, very simples, and mostly monochromatic in an ancient tablet sort of theme.

The name “Darwin” keeps popping in my mind when I think of it, although that’s obviously not its name, nor related to any evolutionary theories.

Please help :O

Darwinia?

I like that I googled Bokosuka Wars and it showed up in two threads, one titled 1/10 games and the other titled something like Worst games you ever owned.

Bokosuka Wars is awesome! At least the computer versions were. I think it only reached the West on the NES and I haven’t played that one.

I wished it was Darwinia ;)

I found it! It was Battle of Tiles, which is “not available anymore”, and apparently got a PS3 and iPad upgrade at some point.

http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/bot.htm

That in no way looks like any of the screenshots I had pulled up for Bokosuka Wars…

Really? It’s the same presentation, with the same lack of vertical axis, and basically the same gameplay. It comes with the added twist that you can bribe any enemy unit to join your ranks, instead of finding your own prisoners, if you have the funds to do so, and the QOL brought by the mouse and memory’s modern luxury: you can rearrange freely your troops into the formation you d like, without having to puzzle out your environment to do that. Bokosuka Wars is such a cool game concept, and this improved upon it on every way.

Any idea what game this is? I feel like the key is remembering where that shotgun model is from, but I’ve got nothing after banging my head all day. No clue what the little dude in the middle is supposed to be.

EDIT: Found it, it was D2 on Dreamcast.

Help me identify this game, please!