Help me upgrade my old PC to support a Rift

My old PC is working pretty well for us, but now we want to buy an Oculus Rift and it’s craning it’s neck up gazing at the minimum requirements so time for an upgrade. Obviously I’d like to reuse as many components as possible.

Here are my specs:

• Intel Core i5 2500K (1155 - The compatibility tool says it meets the minimum requirements but I’m not convinced.
  • Asustek P8P67 Pro - I’m guessing if the CPU goes, this goes as well?
  • 8 GB DDR3 - will these work with a modern MB?
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 750ti - this goes away
  • Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB - please say this can stay
  • Samsung 103SJ 1TB - same

Assuming I only replace the GPU, will a new RTX 2060 fit in an older MB?
Should I expect any problems fitting a new motherboard into a 7 year old case. Hopefully these stayed more or less the same…

Thanks in advance all. There’s an 11 year old very keen on me building this as fast as possible :)

That CPU is old.

I had a i7-2600k and it was bottle-necking my new GTX1080 at the time.

I think the RTX2060 is about 15% slower than the GTX1080. So maybe you will be ok.

Scenario 1 - You only change GPU: the thing will be if you have sufficient power. One, the form factor is different plugs. Back in the day there were only those molex thingies and obsolete 3.5" plugs, and SATA power. Now there’s all these weirdo things just for video cards. I think there’s converters. But then you have to deal with rails and whatever.

So you need to figure out if PSU delivers enough power, as well as plugs. Seems to be a 160 watt card which is not awful. Your old card is 60 watts TDP.

Scenario 2, Motherboard replacement will physically fit, no changes. I think new MB means new ram new CPU, those standards change so quickly.

Well, at least I get to keep the hard drives. Thanks.

Does any one of these motherboards stand out in particular? I think if I’m going with a single nvidia card, I don’t need crossfire?
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/motherboards-intel/intel-z390-socket-1151-atx-plus-motherboards

Oh, and I’m not planning to do any fancy overclocking. Just plug and play.

Personally I bought Gigabyte last year. I think because 1) dual BIOSes make me feel safe because once in 25 years I had a corrupted BIOS flashing. 2) i think they use solid capacitors so in theory more reliable. Don’t know if it’s marketing. 3) they tend to be pretty good about not using shitty noisy little fans.

But MSI, Asus are all solid choices. Asrock is more budget I believe.

edit: I would also consider looking at bundles and compare prices. Also because I’m lazy and a bundle means they know the RAM/CPU will work with that motherboard.

I’ve been very satisfied with my ASRock board from 2 years ago. Before that I had a bad string of luck with MSI boards and Gigabyte boards.

Thanks for the info. This is what I ended up with:

Intel Core i5 9600K
Gigabyte Z390 UD
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz

What cooler for the cpu? :)

Are you planning to OC?

This:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/arctic-freezer-11-lp-low-profile-cpu-cooler-for-intel-socket-1150-1151-1155-1156-775-100-watts-max-c

And no, I don’t plan to OC. I’m hoping for this money it will do its work without me fiddling with it.

It will… Did you answer the PSU question to your satisfaction?

My current PSU gives 650W.

Does the PSU have a 8pin and a 6pin connector?

I am assuming so… But check…

Hmm, I’ll need to take that thing apart and check.

Fingers crossed.

Modular PSUs FTW.

We’ll, I ended up replacing everything but the 2 harddrives. Finished building it and installing windows yesterday. Tried running Nier which my old PC was struggling with at low settings, and it runs smoothly with everything turned to 11.

Funny thing is it tried to run it in some 4k resolution, i couldn’t see what because the TV was displaying maybe a quarter of the screen. I need to find how to enable resolutions higher than 1080p.

Another snag was that i found that the GPU has only one HDMI output, which both the TV and Oculus need. There are 3 DP outputs, so I’ve ordered a DP to HDMI cable. Hopefully that will work.

I guess the days of booting up Crysis at Max settings when building a PC is over.

We’ll, I’m downloading Metro Exodus (only 50GB). I think it should qualify as a contemporary Crysis.