Help My Business Plan Fail! Forum software design

More that everyone is a professional (read “chronically addicted”) web page user. Users may not be expert on what is right, but they are damned sure the final authority on what is bad.

I don’t really go to Digg, so I am not sure what it looks like.

Not being facetious.

That’s extra-hilarious, then. Check it out. Also dotnetkicks.

There’s going to be some level of design similarity because the usage model is so close, but still. I’m not a big fan of the stories as a list of rectangles model, either, though.

The Stack Overflow private beta is live and doing quite well, actually.

If you want an invite to criticize based on what the site actually is instead of what my crappy descriptions made us imagine it to be, PM me – I’ll bump any q23 members to the top of the list. (EDIT: Please include your email address!)

Invites go out every night at around 12am PST.

AUTOMATIC username/password creation. All you do is enter your email address, then you save it on the browser. Then put an option that says REMIND ME IN 6 MONTHS checked on by default where they email you a pw/username.

Nothing is more annoying than having to register to yet ANOTHER account ala NYTimes.com

we use OpenID – look it up, it’s pretty cool

OpenID is sweet. Some guy at NYT says it’s a harmful distraction from the ID-Card future, whatever that means.

public beta

When I looked at the about page, I had my glasses off and thought that the top three pictures were of the same guy.

Neat site, though. I’ll hang onto it.

Nevermind - I think it could have been a cache problem…

God, that was a pain in the ass to register. And now, despite the fact that myopenid told me my email address was optional, I can’t use my ID yet, because I used my home email which I can’t access at work, and despite being optional, it still sent a required confirmation.

Recommendation: Go check out how Mibbit.com does registration, all registration should be like that.

Also, when you fail to log in it sends you to a page not found.

edit: Oh, nevermind. Somehow it let me log in, and I don’t know why. I never got confirmations, only failures.

editedit: I have to sign up for another site in order to change my image? That’s… retarded.

Hrm. I can’t get my Yahoo OpenID to work. The content looks good, wish I could contribute.

When I looked at the about page, I had my glasses off and thought that the top three pictures were of the same guy.

All us white people do look alike.

Hrm. I can’t get my Yahoo OpenID to work.

http://stackoverflow.uservoice.com

Also, just for the record, Yahoo’s implementation of OpenID is… not great. I recommend MyOpenID.

Note that no account is required to contribute. Think wikipedia.

How do you add a comment to someone’s post?

need 50 rep; see the http://stackoverflow.com/faq

Wumpus,

in the years we’ve known each other I’ve been dying to say this to you:

OMG IM GOING TO FUCKING HAXOR YOUR FUCKING SITE NEWB. OMG!@#

Good luck dawg.

It might be useful to have a way of communicating that on the thread page, the same way as when someone tries to rate a post without having logged in, they get a box telling them to register or login.

Teaching peers is one of the best ways to develop mastery.
- Jeff Atwood

I notice that we completely failed to help his business plan fail.

We can try harder. Also, that image is begging to be Photoshopped.