I picked up Dead Rising shortly after launch, squealed with delight for a night or two once I started to find sexy things like the lawnmower, but then got a little frustrated with the well-documented text problem (your mileage may vary, but the text is basically indecipherable on my TV using the S-video connection) and my inability to save anybody, and I pretty much moved onto Fight Night and Saints Row.
Now I’ve come back to DR, and I’m still having a lot of problems getting through Day 1, so I thought I’d ask for some help.
My main problem is that I can’t seem to rescue anybody for the life of me. I have Frank at level 20, and my first day tends to go something like this:
- Run through the normal intro stuff, and rescue the first couple on the roof.
- Make a B-line to help Brad.
- Go with Brad to meet the old man in the bookstore, grabbing the SMG from the fountain on the way.
- Head back to the two guys barricaded in the shop. Get them to join and arm them with some decent melee weapons.
- Run across the hall and wait for the mother to get through her lo-o-o-o-ng dialog (anybody else wish this stuff could get clicked through?) while the store gradually fills up with zombies.
- Try fight my way through the store and back into the food court, to get into the centre courtyard.
- Try to save the girl from the guys in the jeep.
- Get them back to the security room.
That’s the plan, anyways. Usually by the time I start adding people to the party, they wind up getting separated pretty fast. If I go back to try save one of them, they’re almost invariably in the middle of a swarm of zombies, and if I go in swinging (usually the dumbell is the weapon at hand), I wind up clocking them and taking them out. If I try to be more selective about my target, either they wind up taking too much damage in the interim or the rest of my party gets swarmed.
Given the swarms of nasty post-7pm zombies that are between me and the security room, I’ve never made it back with more than one survivor alive, so I have the following questions:
Should I even worry about survivors on my first playthrough, or should I mainly stick to the cases and treat anybody who happens to survive the run back to the security room as a bonus?
Are there any tricks I can use to help keep my party close to me and alive? (I’ve read tips in other threads that involve arming them with weapons I haven’t yet found.)
Are there any effective tactics for dealing with a party member in a crowd of zombies so that I can take out the most zombies while doing the least amount of damage to him or her?
Thank you for any and all help!