Help wanted: X-Com UFO Defense

Don’t just take the ammo, take the plasma rifles as well. If you have any leftover after equipping your squads, you can sell them.

Yeah, of course take those too. I just meant that it’s not obvious that you need to eject clips to keep them.

I love the sound that clips make when you load/unload them. I kinda wish they’d keep that.

I suppose I’m not 100% on whether damage actually occurs from the fall. It was in my experience that falling aliens survived explosions less frequently than when hit by the blast radius of a grenade.

Okay, I just found an Antarctic alien base fairly early on. How safe is it to leave it alone for now. I tried to dive in with a 12 person team and had a pretty hard time - mostly due to psionic attacks. Maybe go back and bolster my troops with a couple of rocket tanks?

Without Plasma Rifles and armor I wouldn’t raid the base just yet.
But knowing where it is can be a tremendous boon. Take out the supply ships and treat it as the gift that keeps on giving.

So for base defense, you know about redesigning your base layout, right? There’s a mod that starts your base in a better configuration, but if done manually, you should relocate your hangars and use the access lift as a chokepoint.

I always keep ~20 proximity grenades on hand for base defense purposes. Basically, I line up in the hallway near the access lift and chuck proximity grenades at the intersection. Er, don’t thrown them all at once; wait for the first couple to explode, and then deploy new ones as needed. Also avoid the temptation to cluster your squad together, because the aliens sometimes bring blaster bombs.

http://gamerationy.com/reviews/pc/xcom/Geo-BaseLayout.jpg

The UFOpaedia has an excellent Base Layout Strategy article .

Yeah a super important extra layer of tactical loveliness for the long game. I’m sad the base has become a mere eye-candy piece in the new X-com, as it was in the original game (and the use of more than one) it opened a whole heap of strategic goodness you could mess around with (this base is recon-base for finding all the alien bases, this one is for manufacturing etc).

I really hate the dumbing down we do in games currently, we are just going to raise a bunch of ‘consumer kids’ rather than critical thinkers.