Help with Citrix

I have been working from home for 10 months now. I use my gaming PC to log in to Citrix to my work desktop and work. I have a 200mb line down and 20mb up. I am on a wired network.

Recently i have been struggling with a real laggy system, work says it is not them. My clicks trail my mouse by a few seconds and switching between programs is a nightmare. I use Acturis (Insurance database program) Word, Excel and Adobe and it’s turning into a right pain.

As soon as I come out of Citrix my PX is fine. As a user is there anything I can try to sort this? I am moving house in 2 weeks so hopefully that can solve it.

Dumb question, but is your citrix client updated? :)

Not a dumb question, as I log in via the web I hadn’t thought to update citrix it’s self, there is a update for it so let’s see :)

I have updated Ctrix, seems ok at the moment, fingers crossed, cheers

Nope still laggy, one thing that seems to make it worse is if i do Shift + F2 to come out of it and then go back in. But it’s still super laggy.

I am assuming your on a laptop, whats the resource usage look like? Also what priority do you have citrix set to run at?

Are you using a VPN ? Hows the connection quality and speed?

Lots of stuff affects performance Citrix. :|

Agrees with @lordkosc
These are tough problems to track down.

Other suggestions:
Don’t immediately trust your IT department - check the resource usage on the server itself. Are you maxxing anything out? :)

Check network connection to the server.
Ping the server - any packet loss?
No packet loss, check the MTU, excess fragmentation?

Those would be my first checks:
Server performance/network connection.

I connect via my gaming laptop. Once on the server cannot check or do anything except run the agreed services.

I click a link on my browser which connects to a virtual desktop I authorise and then it loads my citrix profile.

On my laptop connections are all fine, it all connects fine just once in Citrix it now sucks, it did not 2 weeks ago.

Unfortunately I cannot run anything on the server all restricted, hence coming out of it to browse the web and check my emails.

Can I check the above with Citrix running but from my own desktop rather than in citrix where I can check nothing

Did anything change in your setup that may have caused it?
Are you connecting to the Internet wirelessly?
If so, try connecting directly to your router via ethernet cable and see if that helps?
(So you can eliminate the possibility of wireless interference)

You could ask your IT dept. for help in running some network tests. Ask them if they can help you run a ping command to the server to test for packet loss?

When you connect to Citrix, if you are on your applications page, at the bottom middle it should tell you what Citrix server you are on (if there are multiple), I’d let your IT department know the connection to that server when running applications is slow.

Maybe something on their end needs a reboot. :)

THanks both, I will speak to IT again, I am running wired atm, it’s even worse on wireless :)

We don’t use Citrix here (remote desktop). But another thing we can look at (in our case) when the connection becomes iffy is connection quality settings.

For instance, in remote desktop, you can get presets based on your braodband speed. But you can also go and edit individual settings. The most impactful by far is the colour depth rendered. If you can drop from 24bits to 16bits, that’s a lot less colour information to transfer for every pixel on your screen. It tends to make a difference for those of us with uneven connections to the server. Is there any equivalent to those settings for you? That type of change often resolves “laggy” inputs.

If you’re on a laptop, trying going somewhere else and connecting to make sure it’s not your ISP. Then, try to find a different computer to connect to Citrix with. Problem is either them, your ISP, or your system. You can’t troubleshoot them, so try the two you can troubleshoot.

I also use Citrix from home.

Citrix sucks ass. It is laggy as shit. It can’t negotiate app use well at all. It is a massive resource hog.

Sorry I can’t help you.

Citrix sucks.

That is all.

It’s actually worked great for me. I citrix from home into my work machine and have been doing that since last March. Very few hiccups, almost zero lag. Even works fine when my VPN is up and running.

It’s been a lot better today, maybe the update helped and I have been on wireless all day