Here there be Tower Defense discussion

I’ve just played the first level. So far, seems like the same as the prior games. Not yet sure if there is something new later.

I completed the first stage through to the end boss, and while the recipe is very familiar, this is closer to KR: Frontiers in that you level up your hero and tower upgrades operate the same.

Where they’ve pulled a rabbit out of the hat is the foes they unleash in later levels. They’ve dug deep to more irritating foes that will cause you to rethink your strategy. Hyenas that can’t be blocked, witches that when they die, their ghost goes to a random tower and disables it for a while, rolling huge spike things that have a ton of health & tear through barracks like they’re butter, flying enemies that continue to increase in numbers if you don’t whittle them down (similar to the fire demons in KR).

The towers are all different as well, with many different powers that I’m still learning. Archers that can mark an enemy for increased damage, mage towers that distribute more AOE when killing an enemy, and barracks that all offer more variety and changes from the other KR.

There is an early level, called Redwood Stand, (which btw, they continue their merciless adoption of star wars and is basically the ewok camp) where on the first playthrough, very few upgrades, I couldn’t 3 star it. When I came back later with more upgraded towers and hero, it wasn’t too much of a problem, but I do like to judge it while on a fresh hero & few upgrades. 3 other levels gave me fits on the first playthrough as well - on normal no less, so I think it’s pretty challenging.

Somehow I bought so early that my 20% off coupon didn’t come till later. If anyone wants it, PM me and I’ll give it to you.

So who is taking the bullet for the team?

I just want online Comet Crash.

Edit: hmm, the sequel came out on PS4 with online multiplayer! I don’t own a PS4 though…

The original was so good but local only.

I am just replaying Sanctum 2. I find the difficulty of a map varries a lot though.

I finished up Kingdom Rush Origins. Started trying to clear the achievements, but with no progress indicator I have no idea how close I am on some of these. I got 100% on the prior 2, so either they made some of the achievements more grindy or I don’t have the patience for it right now.

Fine game, but I don’t know if I’ll buy another one unless they change it up a bit.

Unleash doesn’t look great to me. Maybe geared toward multiplayer? I had it on my list to check out when it got released, but I’m not seeing anything that would get me to spend time with it. If anyone pulls the trigger, I’d certainly be interested in hearing more about it.

Ok guys, @kael will be here soon. Stardock will be announcing what it hopes to become the ultimate tower defense game later this year. :)

It’s going to be an early access game so that we have lots of time to evolve it. This thread is…well, frankly, a godsend. ;)

Would be neat if there was a way to design your tower’s powers and have various combos. Then have a research tree that allows different techs each game so the combos are not always the same.

Yeah, I tried the demo out on the Xbox, and I’ve found that while the idea of a shooter with tower defense sounds good in theory, I greatly prefer my tower defense as a chess match and the shooter/character control actually detracts from my enjoyment.

Seriously, it is. I’d never have noticed a lot of good games without it.

I am making a tower defense (desktop only) called Tower’s and Heroes. It mixes RPG elements with tower defense ones. I’m not sure it can really compete with the stuff mentioned in this thread (hopefully i’m just being modest but I am still fairly inexperienced).

If you want you can see screenshots and a link to the demo here:
https://nostalgiaforge.com/Towers-and-Heroes/

If you do try it then feedback and suggestions are appreciated. Warning, progress will probably be cleared when it is released.

Also, I saw a lot of interesting tower defenses I never heard of in this thread so i’ll have to give a few a try! Excubitor in particular sounded really interesting.

So what is the definition of soon. Curious what you guys are up to.

I’d like a new tower defense fix, but am not finding anything pure TD (ala Defense Grid) that catches my attention. I’m considering games with TD elements, has anyone played Eden Rising: Supremacy?

I stumbled upon this FREE game over on itch.io

It has some interesting ideas. First off the paths are random. You are a witch and there are 4 castles that are sending waves to you. Each path from the castle to your witch tower are different lengths / random paths.

You control the witch, which gives you a bit of extra if it’s on a tower when a creep dies.
This is basically endless mode - you get a life for each wave you finish and a life is taken away for each creep that gets to your tower.
The first few waves are really slow and easy, by wave 10-15 you will be wishing for a pause button.

the author is spanish & his english translations are a bit rough, but you can figure out what needs to be done by doing the tutorial (which is just a bunch of instructions that appear one after another).

I found this game on itch.io:

Mindustry

Looks like a take on a Factorio/Tower Defense combo.

There is a web based demo:

I’m colorblind and the blocks he uses for art are so rough and patternless (for me) that I’ll have to wait until he gets some better art.

It looks compelling and complicated. Reminds me of a more complicated Yorg.io which I adored.

Anyone try this?

It looks interesting. It’s a 3D map, so you have horizontal wall & typical towers. Feedback on their steam forums is sparse. There is a Youtube playthrough of the first few levels here:

Also anyone own this, I only see Tom as having a copy. I foget if he liked it or not.

Tower Defense and Dancing!

I enjoyed the first one, even if it is fairly simple. I haven’t tried 2.