Here there be Tower Defense discussion

Element TD 2 just came out

Why is the McDonald’s clown in their game?

The original WC3 mod had that as well. Why it was there, I dunno.

Looking at the Steam page and trailer videos, am I correct that there’s no pathing control in that one?

I am bought this game which is a mix of City Building and Tower Defense. The game is early access but does have a demo if anyone wants to try it out:

It has excellent reviews.

I am struggling a bit with getting a good start. I think I was building to many types of building but do not have enough citizens to work them. Going to try concentrating on farms, mine, and lumber in my next try (everyone was starving on my first go).

That sounds pretty cool. Wishlisted.

Mixing those two genres really sounds like a natural fit. Thanks for the heads up.

So, I’ve been revisiting Eden Rising. When I first played, it was extremely difficulty to get through the Sieges (the TD part of it). There are a couple difficulty settings now that pretty much solve that. There are still multiple lanes that you need to defend, but you can set sieges to “Solo”, “Group”, or “Tribe” and you can set combat difficulty to Easy, Medium and Hard. The harder you set it, the more rewards you get.

On Solo/Easy I can get through the sieges pretty well now and with better gear, I’m even doing some on Tribe/Easy (just to try to get more Nanochips which is used to upgrade towers). I’ve spent a few hours in it now and I’m still on the fence on it.

With the difficulty solved, now the issue is how fun it is. The Sieges are really short (most are just a couple minutes). The problem is that the next Siege usually uses different lane setups and so you need to move your towers around after almost every Siege. I’d have to think even playing with friends this would get in the way of being fun.

The exploration and resource gathering is fine. You want to find modules around the world to upgrade your capabilities in the Sieges and resources to craft new gear/traps/etc. You craft gloves that can make resource gathering a bit easier.

The general combat is a bit meh. Basically everything is attack, wait for enemy to attack, get behind it and attack until it is done with its attack animation. Repeat. Would have really liked being able to block/parry. It isn’t horrible, but not all that engaging either.

I’ve just been playing the free version and am just about at the limit of what I can do in it. Still undecided if I’m going to buy full thing…

I love lane based TD games but it doesn’t sound like you enjoyed the game.
Is there any reason you might want to pick it up?

By the way you should try

A little easy but it was fun.

The general loop (resources → upgrades → repeat) is still catchy. Right now it works as a time waster, I put on a podcast and (mostly) mindlessly go through the loop.

So, with the mediocre comments why am I even considering picking it up? That’s a fair question and is … sigh … a bit of a story involving a multi-year effort of me increasing my Steam game completion %. It is a silly meta game, but one I’ve been pursuing. Since I had at least one achievement in this game, that means I should get as many as I can. At least I gave up collecting badges…

I put Zombo Buster Advance on my wishlist. Thanks.

Sorry didn’t want to drill you lol. I actually find we have similar taste in games (or tower defense games specifically) so I thought I was missing something.

Your 100% completion rate is amazing btw.

No worries and thanks. It has been an interesting project. I’ve revisited games that I bounced off before and ended up enjoying them. I’ve been watching speedruns to help me set paths through games when I only need a couple achievements in them. Overall, I’d say a pretty positive experience. I’ll never get to 100%, things like Super Meat Boy will remain at near 8% forever probably, but I may get to high 80s (I’m at 80% now and started in the low 40s).

I started to play this game, The tech tree is huge! No that is not a big enough word - it is humongous!

For 5 dollars I think it is worth a try.

I’ve had the mobile version for a while although I haven’t made much progress. It’s got a dismaying amount of what I would consider to be F2P nonsense, such as 2-hr long timers to open chests or craft things, but there’s no actual paid currency as far as I can tell. The actual tower defense bits are pretty good.

The progression is slow and there is grinding like it was a free to play game even though it isn’t: good call I couldn’t figure what the tickets and other items were fall about, but you are right on the money, it mimics a free to play game). I don’t mind the grind as I play this while listening to something else. This game wanted to be a Tower Defense only. There is no hybrid like some have a bit of a city builder along with the TD.

The only minor complaint I have is learning all the shapes in order to know what type of weapons will be needed (air or ground based). It is the same thing to learn if they looked liked orcs, or beasts, or whatever. But for some reason I find it harder to remember what a triangle is. I thought that a triangle would be a flying unit since it looked like a plane and kept building antiair guns only to learn that triangles are ground and so on.

There is one thing that took me a bit to figure out. When you come back from the research tree you see a Continue Button. But it is grayed out. You have to click on the New Game button to get back to the maps to continue. It is very, very unintuitive IMHO. Took me a while to figure it out.

Anyone have an opinion on Iron Marines?

-35% Iron Marines on GOG.com

The 14 minutes I played of it in January seemed alright, I didn’t get back to it though.

I bought it on my phone years ago, because it’s from the Kingdom Rush guys. But then I discovered that it’s not a tower defense game. It’s some kind of RTS type game where you order your troops to move forward and attack things. As soon as I discovered that, I was out, and never played again. I mean, come on, I wanted to play a tower defense game, not order troops to kill stuff.

I think Iron Marines is pretty good. I really like minimal RTS, though, like the levels in C&C/Dune games where you control a small force. Building and manning walls is the most interesting mechanism, for me, and a little tower-defensy. It’s still tower-defense-like in that the peak of crisis in a typical level is typically surviving an assault on your positions, though there are levels where you have to correctly commit to your own attack and won’t be able to successfully fall back to your defenses.

I might pick this up if I have time but it looks really good. From the X Morph defense people. Looks to mix Diablo/PoE with RTS/Factorio mechanics.