Here there be Tower Defense discussion

Wait, there isn’t single player currently? I didn’t get that from the description.

There is because I purchased and played it specifically for that reason.

Yeah, it is mostly single player, but there are coop and pvp quests. 4 of the 33 main maps are coop. Additionally, I believe the characters are all stored online (probably for pvp purposes).

So I am 2 missions into X-morph: Defense and I am liking it. I just conquered Canada and it felt good. It is like a mixture of Air Mech and Defense Grid. It is on sale right now for half off.

Routing enemy waves down roads is great in this. And you can move towers to adjust to future waves. There is an upgrade tech tree for the towers, the tiny ship you fly, and the base core.

Also has great end of missions stats and a leader board!

At it’s current half price I’d recommend it. :)

@Ex-SWoo I saw you mentioned this back in November, did you ever get it? I am guessing not , as you aren’t on the leader board. :p

Nope - but I was just thinking about this again when you brought it up on the Bargains thread :)

I just might pick it up this time around…

First the tariffs, then this!

I noticed that the PS4 version of X-morph was also on sale so I picked it up. I’m enjoying it a fair bit but I didn’t expect it to be the bullet hell shooter hybrid that it is.

I also can’t help feel a bit guilty destroying all of humanity to help progress an unknown alien agenda :)

Does the game have a lot of longevity, do you think?

Main game has 14 missions, if you get the DLC there are 3 additional missions. It also has around a dozen user made maps on the steam workshop.

I am guessing there is around 10-15 hours total of content going by the time I have spent on the 3 missions I’ve completed so far. I mean you can go back and replay stuff on harder difficulty levels, so yeah you can stretch out the longevity of the game. :)

They also added a survival mode where you see how many waves you can last, its pretty hard even on normal difficulty.

Thanks!

Steam has me at 25 hours and it looks like I got gold trophies on all the missions. Only 57% of the achievements though, I didn’t get the co-op or survival ones. I imagine you could spend awhile getting everything.

I picked up X-Morph Defense as well. It’s well done, but still learning it. Just beat Canada, but I can see I have a long ways to catch up Effidian ;-)

Need to play around with all the variables and see how they impact score. Right now, I’m not seeing what the hoovering up resources gives me. I should be seeing more resources to build more towers, and maybe I am getting them, but it’s not evident.

Tower placement is very critical if your twitchy muscles aren’t up to snuff (as my old bones will tell you). I had to try the first level several times before I could beat it. It was only after I found a better route & could let the towers do most of the damage that I beat it.

@Effidian - does it help to level up your ship & come back to a level later on to improve your score, or does the game limit you to only the vanilla upgrades on the earlier levels?

You definitely unlock more upgrade points to use in other levels - I skipped a level because I found it too hard and found that I had more upgrade points to spend when I went back to it later.

I have such a horrible memory on this stuff, glad Ex-SWoo knew the answer. @Tman, if it is anything like all the other games we have scores in, you’ll beat my score once you get into it a bit.

Here is something new:

Trying it out!

So we’ve been looking at making a tower defense game with the Ashes of the Singularity engine so that we can have tens of thousands of enemies coming at you by late game.

My questions to you guys are:

1. Do you think people would be interested in a tower defense style game like this? I.e. is mass carnage a sufficient differentiator from all the other games out there? (this would be like a $10 game).

2. Which style of TD do you guys like the most? For example, some TD games only let you place towers in certain places while others let you build them pretty much anywhere. What is the consensus here?

Something like Defense Grid 1/2, with some pre-set areas for building, but also being able to channel enemies where you want them using towers or walls, or towers with walls. Also many types of towers and making sure there are different levels of upgrades for each tower are very important.

I pretty much want you to make Defense Grid 3 with thousands of enemies. :)

Defense grid also had the enemies stealing cores mechanic that I really liked, as you could reclaim them if you killed the enemy who stole it.

Brad, have you played the Defense Grid games? X-Morph Defnse? Creeper World Series?

I love TD games!

I agree with @lordkosc and like a bit of both preset places and being able to sculpt out the path. Both are fun.

I also prefer pure TD game (I like to kill everything with my towers and setup rather than having to use extra commander powers - like death ray attacks - I do not mind different type of commanders giving different perks to my towers).

Research new towers and would love to see the ability to combine different tower types.

Endless mode to see how far you test your setup (and maybe a blueprint ability so I can save some setups on a map so if I return 6 months later I can test things rather than trying to remember the last setup I was using).

Good map maker.

The ability to pause and very important speed up the attacks (with about 4 speeds with the max really fast to test out different setups). A lot of TD games only have two modes or the fastest in never fast enough.

So DG3 or Gemcraft (that would run smoothly). :)

The market would gobble up a quality TD game at $10, I mean look at the posts over the last year in this thread. There has been a severe drought of good TD games.

I’ve played Some. @Kael (Fall from Heaven, Legendary Heroes) would be the one leading this and he’s a big fan of of DG.