Here there be Tower Defense discussion

Ah, thanks, I didn’t even know it had a demo. Tried it, and the RTS elements are what I’m not looking for in a TD game. Seems good if that’s your thing though.

Thing about Marz is so much of it revolves around the moving crew member mechanic, but the controls to move the crew just feels so damn wonky.

Yep, hence the need for 1/2 speed when that time arises.

You know me too well! :)

I’m about to play level 6 as well. I’m on the fence so far, as there seems to be something missing. The sound isn’t great, and I think that has an impact for me. Not something I’d normally even think about, but for some reason I keep thinking the guns and deaths should sound better.

Level 6 & 7 were no big deals. Level 8 however, I give up on for tonight after about 5-6 tries. Ugh.

Need to come at with something completely different than what I’m trying.

I agree with this. I think they spent the $$ on the soundtrack instead of having each gun and death be distinguishable.

In other news, I got past level 8 & 9, but 10 gave me such fits, I dropped it down to “walking on mars”. Holy crap. You get so many benefits, it’s actually enjoyable - an extra energy, things occur way faster (research particularly). I think I’m going to keep it at this from now on. I was growing very frustrated with the difficulty.

But - they introduced some bug in the last patch that kills even easy mode, and that is troops will inexplicably march forward into the horde without any command. I think it has something to do with the teleporter on the tesla 2nd tier, as it just happened once I upgraded to that, but when I removed the tesla altogether it continued to occur. I submitted it and they’ve been responsive, so we’ll see.

I got sidetracked on another game, but just started Marz back up. I’m still on the fence. You have to move things around so much, it feels more hectic than strategic. That is likely what the game is going for, so that’s not necessarily a negative. I’ll certainly keep playing and see how it goes.

Are laser towers supposed to get stuck when things get too close? I know they have a blind spot, but they don’t target mobs that are further out when one is close to them. That can get a bit dicey…

Yes, if you notice, there is a red circle on the ground below the laser. It won’t target anything in that circle.

You need to stagger weapons so other weapons can shoot in that area, or use troops which requires a lot of micro because they are so damn squishy.

Yeah, I get that. It seems that if a mob is within the red circle, it won’t target anything outside that circle. It just looks at the mob inside the circle without firing instead of firing on valid targets outside the circle. Which makes keeping that circle free pretty important.

Games and movies have both struggled to make decent offerings about zombies on Mars.

On mission 11 now. Been playing on Nerves of Steel, but I think I found the weakness (I’ll spoiler it below). Perks are pretty amazing. I mainly start off with Quick Support, but jeez they are hugely helpful.

If you just rush the extractors to max right at the beginning, you seem to generate enough resources to do everything you need to. Maybe this won’t work later, but so far it has made level 6 to 10 pretty trivial. With the 10th perk, this may get to be even more OP.

I’d say the game is decent, not great. Sound should be much better.

I felt the same. I wish it was easier to manage my crew since it is so critical. Does the game let you hotkey crew members?

“C” will pick the the closest available crew member to your cursor.

Good to know Effidian. Thank you.

I know you mentioned you were trying out Siege of Centauri above. Any feedback?

Siege of Centuri needs time in the oven, its only hitting Early Access on April 16th.

Right now I’d consider it still a ALPHA level of development.

Fair point. Anything specific you would like to see changed?

I haven’t played Siege of Centauri. I don’t take part in early access. I think that would typically ruin my desire to play the released game.

On my wishlist though, so I’ll likely check it out at release.

@Kael

I would like to also have maps where we can set the path of the enemies.

I wish it had a grid to plop down towers on, I posted about it on the founders forum.

Also its still hard to easily recognise the paths enemies are going to use.

At least the night maps are gone. :)

A game that I really enjoy Alien Shooter TD has easy to see map path markers that light up to show where the enemy is headed.

600x338

As did Defense Grid 2.

@Kael Knowing the path of the enemies sure would help a lot when trying to place towers. ;)

I totally agree that we need to do a better job of displaying a grid on the plateaus so you can see exactly where you can place. We are working on it.

Yeah night maps were such an interesting idea. But totally not fun.

If you hold down the alt key you go into “Scan mode” and you can see the paths flying units will take. We can easily mark all paths to be displayed like that (maybe with a different color). But I worry that its to much, it becomes so many paths.

Maybe when you have an enemy selected his path is highlighted?