Here there be Tower Defense discussion

Hi gang, Steampunk Tower 2 is on sale at Steam. Anyone have any opinions on it? Reviews are generally positive.

The first 3-4 hours are really cool.

Then it kind of turns into a grind. I gave up at slightly more than 6 hrs of play.

My steam review

Thank you sir. Just voted up your review. You saved me some time.

I recall the first game getting boring after a few hours also, or grindy, which I consider boring. :P

I don’t remember it being bad. Steam says I spent 23 hours with it. I read @Tman’s review, but my memory is so horrible, I’d have to spin it back up to remember much more. I do vaguely remember the challenge missions being tough, but I don’t think I had to try anything 50 times. Guess I should have written a review.

Edit: Luckily I had commented on it earlier in this thread. Yeah, I remember now the challenge levels being … challenging. But I do think I enjoyed my time with it.

The look, setting, and idea of an X-COM tower defense is cool.

But it plays like the F2P mobile game it used to be. Multiple currency types, having to wait real time to manually collect income from two dozen difference sources on two different screens, super expensive power ups you can buy with said currencies which quickly become mandatory if you want to win in later battles.

Plus there’s really not much to do during the battles themselves. You go into the battles with all the towers you’ll ever have. You mostly just decide when to use super shots. The only times the battles are engaging are the rare boss fights, which are very fun indeed but only make up 5% or less of the game. The rest is low input grinding and waiting on income timers.

So I noticed that Eden Rising has a free demo, so I installed it. This is kind of like Sanctum with RPG and open world elements, so a lot going on.

I like how the it handholds you through the tutorial and the beginning area, but the ramp up in the new larger area overwhelmed me. The most frustrating thing is still trying to figure out where I can go and in trying to understand whether some river is crossable or an enemy is too tough, it’s just trial and error.

Also, I got to a point where it ramps up the paths and I don’t like my chances of trying to defend 3 lanes. 2 was pretty tough. It’s also telling me to head to a new crucible area when I’ve not even explored 20% of the area I’m in now. I have yet to find any new craftable elements.

Anyone else try this out? What did you think?

I didn’t like that the towers get actively attacked and destroyed by the mobs. It made it so that dealing with multiple lanes was tedious (I didn’t play multiplayer, so having a person per path would have probably worked).

I see Colony Siege has released as Early Access, anyone bite?

I purchased it played the first mission. Just a quick note - it is Early Access.

I think it has potential as you build different building types that have to be protected as well as the HQ. It also has a mix of TD and RTS elements (buildings can produce units that you can move around on the map). I think the map is a little busy (flying rocks keep rushing from the top of the screen to the bottom in the first mission and for me at least, it just gets in the way of trying to figure out how to path things). Looks like there can some tough decisions of whether to purchase more Towers, or Buildings for RTS units, Traps, or upgrade your command ship. I have not gotten my head around Traps yet and how to use them.

It does have a story which gave me a bit of a Defense Grid feel though it is only one person talking so far (where DG had the AIs conversing with each other as I recall).

Edit:
I am finding it hard to set up a route using the towers and their energy walls. It is not very intuitive. The pathing indicator (flashing line we have all seen in other TD games) is not consistent. I place towers altering the given path but when the enemies get to my towers they are going around and are not in range even though the path would indicate otherwise. Maybe I am missing something.

I hear you. I got to the new area with scarabs and immediately a 3 path … just not enough power to lay down enough to slow down / last while I try to take on one lane and I couldn’t even do enough there - it says it’s going to throw 2x + 1 scarab, but 3x show up. No chance really with my weapons / armor and one trap (I had 2 traps on each of the 2 other lanes and while one held, the other didn’t anyway).

Too bad, I see interesting things in the game. I just don’t think they’ve balanced it for solo play.

If you fancy a challenging old school RTS inspired TD then give 2112TD a blast!

Pocket gamer gave a tiny write up on it, sadly it looks mobile only.

Creeper World 4 now has a Demo available

Spotted this on Steam (plus I think it was mentioned in one of the Wallet Threat Levels posts). Holding off on trying it as Star Renegade (TBS Roguelite) becomes available tomorrow.

Anyone trying this? I’m not a RTS fan, so will have to look into it a bit to see how much of that there is.

Eyeing it also, but my wallet says wait for sale. :(

I’m grabbing this now…

I’m not enjoying this one as much as previous games. These aren’t the most challenging TD games, but this one feels a bit … easy … boring … something. It seems like they tried to add so many towers and heroes in that it suffered by not needing much strategy for tower mixing.

If my memory serves, they also changed the way you get upgrade points. Instead of getting awarded for number of stars. You get them just for completing a level, regardless of how many stars you got or what difficulty. It may not have mattered, since it feels easier, but it does give you less incentive to get 3 stars your first time through.

They have an “Impossible” difficulty, but it only gets enabled when you finish the first 16 missions. By then, you’ve got all your upgrades and most towers/heroes so playing levels on impossible ends up being easier than playing them originally on Normal.

This might be my last Kingdom Rush…

How did you like Frontier? I only played it for a little bit and found it too samey. I was going to buy this one and the easy difficulty isn’t too bad since I’m not very good at these type of games.

Did you found the gameplay had a big revamp?