Here we go (yet) again

the ratchet and clank 2 dvd in my ps2 says different!

Yeah, but PC World (part of the same group) and Game have also followed suit. Seems a bit pointless, especially as the game has been out for months and is already reduced in price.

But not in the UK. The game has an 18 certificate administered on it by the BBFC, meaning it’s a legal requirement that it not be sold to anyone under that age. The fine for doing so is anything up to £2000 along with a possible prison sentence.

The unfortunate thing about the story is that it only mentions the fact that the child committed the murder in an effort to secure money to settle drug debts in passing, instead focusing on this type of typical moral outrage scare mongering.

Whilst the game may well have acted as a catalyst, the motivation came from greater problems.

Is that British paper the equivalent of the US National Enquirer?

Oh, I did too. Truly suave and worldy kids are both smart and dumb, and therefore liked both shows, something the study failed to appreciate.

They should have done a crossover. Bo and Luke drive the General Lee so fast that it warps space-time and lands in the 4077th in 1952, maybe right in the Swamp. Hawkeye and Trapper John learn a new moonshine recipe from Bo and Luke, and recruit them no-good Duke boys as ambulance drivers. Meanwhile, Boss Hogg, Roscoe, and Enos stumble into the Duke-created time warp and strike a deal with Frank Burns and Hotlips Houlihan to get rid of the Duke boys in exchange for the still, which Boss Hogg wants to set up behind the Hazzard County Courthouse back in his own time.

Tim summed it up pretty well above, its readership is basically white, lower middle class, conservative and mainly female and it reflects their values. It used to be overtly racist, but is more covert these days preferring to rant against ‘asylum seekers’ and ‘illegal immigrants’, in the '30s it backed Hitler, Mussolini and the British Union of Fascists. Basically it feeds on and promotes prejudice, the Internet and video games are favourite targets these days.

It’s not quite the National Enquirer. It’s a conservative tabloid that caters for people who aspire to being awfully proper. They once did a centre-fold spread that summed their attitude up completely. It was a survey they had conducted to discover the monetary value of happiness. They discovered that a good marriage was worth an extra £70k+ a year, would you believe. They listed, in order, the most happy people to the least happy. The most happy were, surprise, Conservative voting, married, Protestant, church attenders, with 2.5 kids. Next on the list was the same as above, but Catholic. The list went all the way down to the bottom, where the unhappiest person in Britain, the single, left-wing, atheist graduate, the kind of guy who would never buy the Daily Mail, and whom Daily Mail readers would despise, could be found.

The most happy were, surprise, Conservative voting, married, Protestant, church attenders, with 2.5 kids. Next on the list was the same as above, but Catholic. The list went all the way down to the bottom, where the unhappiest person in Britain, the single, left-wing, atheist graduate, the kind of guy who would never buy the Daily Mail, and whom Daily Mail readers would despise, could be found.

This seems quite plausible, based on my experience with people from both of the worlds mentioned. Indeed, I’d actually have to agree, based on the anecdotal evidence I’ve accumulated during the course of my life. Of course, America breeds different kinds of conservatives than Europe does, so take from that what you will.

-McB

Last time I was in an EB the sales guy turned down a kid because of the M rating. I forget what game it was.

The Mail has a history of xenophobia.

‘The way stateless Jews from Germany are pouring in from every port of this country is becoming an outrage . . .’ In these words, Mr Herbert Metcalfe, the Old Street magistrate, yesterday referred to the number of aliens entering the country through the ‘back door’ - a problem to which the Daily Mail has repeatedly pointed.” - Daily Mail, August 20, 1938

Nowadays it keeps the xenophobia, but puts all its support behind Sharon. I’m not sure that this means their attitudes have changed one jot, however.

Change the words ‘Jews from Germany’ to ‘Asylum Seekers’ and you’ve got a Mail editorial from 2004.

The Mail’s campaign continues… now it looks like Doom 3, Soldier of Fortune II, GTA, Hitman, State of Emergency, The Suffering, Mafia and more are all in the firing line…

It wouldn’t be a summer silly season without a Daily Mail campaign to ban something.

Have you thought of switching to a different paper Gary? The Mail doesn’t even have tits on page three after all.

These are some fucked-up brits, wot?

The thing that REALLY pisses me off about the Daily Mail is that it still manages to maintain a veneer of respectability, and a seriously large part of the population takes it seriously.

It’s a disgusting paper.

It almost looks like a parody of a legitimate newspaper. Sort of The Onion, but applied with the subtle force of a sledgehammer.

No, but there’s one on the front page today.

I think we should ban the EVIL Daily Mail, which I guarantee has a far worse impact on society than any game could.

Shhh, no one wants to hear the truth.

YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

(Contractually mandated line.)

:lol: