Heroes of the Storm, formerly Blizzard All-Stars, formerly DOTA

She’s fine. She’s got an overall 49.5% win percentage across Hero League and 51.6% in QM over the last 7 days, which is about as close as you can hope to get.

Honestly from all your complaints I get the impression that you have a super inflexible play style. It annoys me cause the attitude is reflected in every rager I encounter in HOTS. “You’re all idiots”.

I don’t believe in MMR/ELO hell. I’ve never heard an explanation for it in any game that didn’t boil down to “The system is averaging my high MMR with my teammates low MMR against a team with an MMR in the middle”. And yet somehow the other players that rank up didn’t suffer this problem. It’s totally absurd.

The best way to climb the ladder is to complement your team’s play-style, even if it’s the wrong play-style. I also was stuck ~20 until I stopped playing ‘correctly.’ If your kael’thas is tanking, tank even harder to take the heat off him. Maybe he’ll get that kill. It won’t always work, but all you need is >50%.

When I get around rank 3 or 4, I start getting simply outclassed by my mates and opponents alike and drop a few ranks.

You don’t think KT running to the front of a fight to get exploded isn’t properly called idiocy? Had one do that just last week, and even at a disadvantage because not everyone was quite at the shrine yet. I don’t consider that inflexible, that’s straight throwing or being a moron. It’d be like flashing yourself in csgo and running blind into a bombsite alone before your teammates can rotate.

I’m not immune to being caught out sometimes, but holy hell there’s a fine line between some mistiming and repeatedly tossing yourself to the wolves and not learning from it.

For the record, I don’t type mean things or shit like that in game. It’s a waste of time. I also don’t feed or afk or just stop trying if I get a weird draft or something. How that makes me a rager, or inflexible I have no fucking idea.

Chromie is proving to be a lot of fun to play, but not someone you want to use in a 1 v 1 fight against someone semi-competent. She’s what Li Ming SHOULD be; powerful back-line, fragile as heck when isolated. She really has no way to escape, unless she has a near-by stasis hourglass set up. I suspect we’ll see some nerfing of her damage, but I really think her kit is well balanced.

The best thing I can recommend for managing through the 30s and 20s is to help your team NOT get tilted over losses. After that Kael face-check the best response would have been, “Guys we’re a late game comp, all we have to do is keep it close and we’ll be fine.” If nothing is said then probably the other 3 guys are totally pissed at Kael thinking he’s blowing it for them. Kael feels super bad because he made a mistake and is now playing more aggressively to make up for it. The team will definitely spin out of control.

When I say, “Guys, we’re a late game comp, let’s just keep it close till 16” I have like a 75% win rate. Even down 2 levels 10-8. It is amazing the effect that has on my team regardless of our actual comp.

Sorry looking back my post was more aggressive than I intended. We all blow of steam, and I agree it’s best to keep it outside of in game chat.

In that particular instance I my friend (who was support) just said something like, please wait for us next time so tank (me) can go first. If I bother to type instead of ping I don’t waste time with nonsense. If someone is just whining I mute them and move on.

I mean I honestly try to do everything possible to help everyone, but when you get an instalock Abathur who doesn’t even soak how exactly am I supposed to make up for that? Literally had one earlier just sitting mid and leaving top lane empty (hat elsewhere too). I had to bounce over to cover it and when someone else says something about it his response was “Abby can’t lane noob”. Basically our entire team had more xp than him and down a body. But, yeah I’m sure that happy feels and stuff could fix that we were being out leveled and stuck 4v5 the whole time.

I just have felt like venting and when I see similar sentiments on the interwebs it just seems like people who have not experienced such a huge amount of silly because of whatever reason just handwaive it away as a myth, or they managed to rank up after literally hundreds of games to escape it. I’m just salty because I do enjoy the game a whole lot, but either through bad luck or rngesus hating me I rarely seem to get good games (win or lose). I don’t give an actual shit about rank, I just want good games that don’t feel like a giant waste of my time.

I used to get a lot of competitive matches, but for a stretch of 1-2 months straight I played almost nothing but terrible matches. Either the opposing team was completely clueless, or my team was completely clueless. Neither of those situations is very satisfying. I don’t get any kind of enjoyment in whooping a team who has no business playing against a group of players that obviously have an idea of how to play the game. The reverse is infuriating as well, of course.

In any case, it ultimately led me to stop playing the game. I’d try my best and also followed the “if your team is being stupid, then go be stupid with them so at least you’re pulling in the same direction” advice. I’d try following someone else’s lead, despite them being incredibly bad decisions. I’d try leading myself. I"d try offering advice. The only thing I didn’t try was screaming at people, because that accomplishes nothing.

Anyway, after a couple months without seeing the close and competitive matches that used to be somewhat common, I just stopped playing. It wasn’t fun anymore and it wasn’t worth the aggravation. I don’t know if I was in ELO-hell or something else, but at the end of the day I realized it’d been quite a while since I’d actually enjoyed myself with the game.

I know the feeling. I have over 700 wins in hero league now. I’ve gone up to Rank 12 as my highest back down to 28, back up to 16, down to 22, and now climbing back up. I’ve been through it.

Solo queue hero league isn’t just about playing your best, it is about helping your team play their best. Sometimes they can’t be helped, if you have 1 on your team though you can assume they have 1 too and just work around it, look for theirs and punish him.

Last night we had a gazlowe that never came to our first 2 temple fights. Team started to tilt, but then I pointed out how much work Gaz was doing by split push. I said we should factor it and not hard engage over the next temple. After that, we never lost another team fight and won easily without even losing our all of our forts.

Next game I was stuck healing as the last pick. Hard for me to carry as healer, so I use my words to carry. I start out saying, “I’m really good with Lili, so if you guys can play your roles we got this.” It was a stomp. Tank played his role, damagers did theirs.

See that’s unfortunate and really what I’m trying to avoid. Also weirdly, I would say that I actually did get a decent ratio of good matches this morning. A few clown fiestas, but it actually balanced out for once. There’s probably no chance in hell I can count on this continuing, but it sure was nice to see.

The last two really tipped the scale. First one solid all around with a good Rehgar and people just played well in general. I actually got the same Rehgar the next match and he played ETC, so I was happy knowing that I had one less person to worry about and therefore I stuck with our bloodthirsty Valla the majority of the time to try to keep her safer (as Thrall). I think we’d have won anyway, but I was happy she finished with three deaths instead of six because papa Thrall was there.

Win or lose that game was just pretty much solid. That to me was a good example of playing to help with some slightly poor position in a way that made it work. If only that was always possible I’d be ok with that too.

So it’s not entirely doom and gloom here, I just keep playing for those games where things don’t seem to evolve into me feeling helpless to make a difference, even if it’s subtle.

Tapatalk was being weird and I didn’t see this yesterday for some reason, but I appreciate it.

I really kind of went into a very pissy mood and I’m guessing numerically it will likely even out match wise. It’s just extremely frustrating when you’re a competitive person to feel at the mercy of sometimes just one person.

But I still plan to enjoy unranked draft with friends whenever it comes around and I’ll cross my fingers that my hl experience yesterday becomes more common as it was really even and enjoyable.

As far as Chromie goes, I’m not surprised her winrate is completely dumpster town right now. She’s very difficult. Hitting delayed skillshots from extremely far away (which you have to) against actual players is very hard to get value from. She has basically no health so typically dies instantly to hard engage/stealthy or at best takes the hearth talent and lives, but then it’s a 4v5. Very curious to see how they are going to address her in upcoming patches.

Folks have quickly figured out that you just have to dive on to Chromie and she’ll fall apart. No escapes, no way to self-heal from getting plinked, no survival talents (other than bye-bye). I’m not finding the skill-shots at range too terribly hard to land, but staying alive has become a problem.

Zag loves sending Hunter Killers after Chromie. Release HK, watch Chromie ruuuuuuun.

Here’s an example of the usual game for me. Surprisingly, it really didn’t bother me because of the two matches I played today the first one was good and 50/50 is just whatever, but I think it’s a helpful illustration of my previous very irritated posts.

Draft time. Ban guy asks if I can play Tracer otherwise he’s banning it. I say I can. Except fourth pick durp guy then picks her and I am unable to. At the last second I swap out to Falstad. Enemy team takes Tracer. Shock. For some reason ban guy bans Johanna and enemy team bans ETC. Guy who screwed our Tracer pick takes Artanis… Thrall complains about massive lag. Things are brilliant.

I do my best to be everywhere and do all the things. When someone dumbly calls boss when we actually managed to get a curse, Thrall says no (and I agree it was dumb), but I’m in the neighborhood and agreeably swing by to help. That goes poorly and my gust to disengage only saves two of us. I used it offensively only once to wipe their team later, but most times to let our team escape after giant fuck ups. I’d estimate I directly prevented about half a dozen deaths this way.

Final result: http://i.imgur.com/TTCKPEC.jpg

Not even mad about it, but I have no idea how I could do anything more. Yet I lost more points for this than I gained from the prior win.

I’m confused by this bit. It sounds like you were first pick. Nothing should’ve prevented you from picking Tracer (like your ban guy asked you to do)?

I mean I don’t even think Tracer is very good after the nerfs, so giving her to the enemy team probably wasn’t the worst thing that could’ve happened. Although it probably affected team morale that the draft didn’t go as planned/agreed.

You apparently can’t have two people pick the same character. The other dude must have selected her just as we were talking about it so I was unable to lock in the selection and he didn’t change his until it was already too late to matter.

Pre-picks from later pickers never block characters from earlier picks. Just to make sure, you own Tracer and have her at hero level 5 or higher?

Yup, she’s 9. When I went to pick her she had the little red icon in the middle of her portrait and I couldn’t lock her in. She wasn’t banned and I was first pick so the only thing that makes sense is that the other dude choosing her caused it. It was the same icon that shows if the character you click has already been picked or banned, which obviously wasn’t the case here.

Never seen that come up, so not sure if it was a bug or what.

Cross posting:

Change your BattleTag for free!

The +50% bonus XP event is now live until June 14! Time to get your heroes to level 5 and 10!

Also, login to claim the First Anniversary Portrait.