Heroes of the Storm, formerly Blizzard All-Stars, formerly DOTA

D.va on the PTR along with a very adjusted Alarak, Tyrande and some changes for Anub’arak and Dehaka.

They’re really pushing this game. I see ads for it all the time on my Xbox dashboard now. I clicked on it once, and it was this really cool fight between some ninja and Diablo, with help from some weird anime character. That really makes me want to play.

I just wish this wasn’t a MOBA, and played more like Diablo. I do love the characters from Diablo and Starcraft. And the Overwatch characters look kind of neat too.

I kind of hate how much they’re pushing people to try this, because I got roped into doing the event with friends who were only interested in the Overwatch skins and have no desire to understand or learn basic genre mechanics. Two and a half hours of Valla tanking towers and leaving a bruiser to solo mid may be the greatest exercise in patience known to man.

Alarak is insane.

Watching mewnfarez and he was hitting people for 1217 damage with his Q alone. He was doing 1kish at like level 12.

I love the Tyrande work, though (as always) I have no clue if it’s effective. Lots of interesting interactions with her auto-attacks. D.Va looks super fun.

Another move-while-attacking hero. Great. This is why I hate every OW hero (in HOTS) except Zarya.

I didn’t realize this was a source of frustration for people. What is it about moving + attacking you don’t like?

Also looking forward to trying out those Dehaka changes.

Edit: I’m totally cluess when it comes to Alarak, but I love the introduction of quests that have a more difficult variant the completes the quest immediately:

Quest: Hit 3 enemy Heroes with the center portion of Lightning Surge in a single cast.
Reward: Gain 10 Sadism and complete all quests on this talent.

Being on the other end of it.

It tends to break the game. You can’t run because they just kill you while you do it, whereas normally they’d need to stutterstep, which gives you distance.

DVa might not be that terrible since she’s so slow, but as a rule it’s not a great thing in a MOBA. When it was Tracer, it wasn’t that horrific (though when she came out she was broken as hell). But it’s on… all the OW heroes save Zarya. Lucio is downright oppressive since you can’t flee and he can just dance around forever shooting you the whole time.

^ This, basically. Especially on Lucio.

Every time I try and quit this game another awesome patch comes out.

D.Va’s level 16 gg, wp talent causes her ranged auto attacks to do around the same dps as level 20 butcher with his quest complete (~900 dps)

edit: Tyrande’s 16 heals an ally for 6500 hp in an autoattack build. Factor in Elune’s with the reduce cooldown skill and you can heal an ally for 9500 hp in a spand of 5 seconds.

I’ve been getting back in to this a well with the update. I’d love to group up for some matches with other Qt3ers to unlock all those goodies tied to the quests. I already have a number of you in my b.net friends list. feel free to reach out to me, and I’ll do likewise.

If only they could all contain such riches!

Always the show-off.

That’s kind of cool. How do you get a loot box?

Every time you level a hero you get a regular loot box. Every 5 levels you get a Rare box + 500 gold, and every 25 levels you get an Epic box + 150 gems.

One can also reroll the content of a loot box up to three times with an escalating gold cost each time (250, 500, 750). As you can see from the screenshot, I rerolled that one three times. The initial content was four commons, as was the second reroll. I usually reroll until I get at least one Epic (purple) or two Rares (blue) if I like what they are.

I have been trying the game with one of my sons this past week and enjoying it. But I might have to give up on it altogether as my own machine is suffering from a really strange issue. My machine runs HOTS constantly at over 100FPS even at Ultra settings with a 6GB NVidia 1060 GTX. Though I would normally set it to Medium or High.

However, the action also freezes for half a second every 2 or 3 seconds. It only freezes on screen, mind you. And pressing CTRL + ALT + F still shows the framerate hovering at 120fps+ during the “freezes” (CPU at 55C, …).

It makes the game completely unplayable as I have no clue what’s happening every time a freeze occurs. Other games, like Blizzard’s own Overwatch, aren’t affected and deliver constant performance.

This is also with a brand new install of the latest drivers, no VPN, 12GB of RAM, …

I uninstalled HOTS and reinstalled it on a SSD.

Those hangups even happen in Training mode (AI vs AI). And they start at the nexus onwards.

Even weirder. The other computers in the house with older video cards and inferior specs do not have the same freezing issue.

I really have no clue what else to try and might have to give up on the game altogether. Very strange. Back to League if I can’t find another solution, which is a pity, as the shorter HOTS matches are convenient on weekdays.