Hex: Shards of Fate: TCG / MMO From Cryptozoic: Too Many Colons

Someone asked @HexTCG on Twitter, and they replied “not this weekend. might be a few weeks”. I may try to draft this weekend after all, but I expect it to be a pure loss.

Ah, that’s too bad that they’re waiting that long. But don’t have too much of a defeatist attitude – there are lots of draft tickets floating around among non-expert players. And the prize format is 5-3-2-2, so if you win the first round, you’re ahead of what you’d win in Swiss.

Well, yes, if. What’s good about swiss is that you get more experience playing. which I desperately needs. That being said, I did win the first match and got 2 packs so you were right in that regard. :)

I have a beta code if anyone wants it. First to PM me gets it.

Done!

Oh damn you! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

ahem…cough

I originally thought giving beta codes to backers was a great idea, but the more I mull it over, the less sure I become. Non-backers don’t get any free cards (like a starter deck), do they? And there’s no way to get cards other than buying packs or paying for and winning tournaments, right? Against a large population of folks who already have an extensive library?

It’s nowhere near as friendly to the new player as the other major digital TCGs out there right now. I hope it doesn’t actually turn people off. Waiting for PvE may be the better introduction.

I believe everyone that creates an account gets 1 starter deck.

I believe everyone that creates an account gets 1 starter deck.

Yep all new accounts get 1 starter. There’s four to choose from…just make sure you don’t click past it really quickly or you’ll get what you get (what I did).

Yeah. With none of the PvE or trading in yet, it’s very much still in the physical TCG model of “buy packs to play”. Playing pickup games with just a starter deck can be a nice way to get a handle on the mechanics and interface, but it’s not going to hold anyone’s attention for long. For anyone jumping in now, I’d advise either being willing to pay for tournaments (which are great) or recognize that you’ll have to come back later for the fun free stuff.

That said, while my beta key went to an RL friend, anyone on here who still wants to get in should check over here:

Yeah. With none of the PvE or trading in yet, it’s very much still in the physical TCG model of “buy packs to play”. Playing pickup games with just a starter deck can be a nice way to get a handle on the mechanics and interface, but it’s not going to hold anyone’s attention for long. For anyone jumping in now, I’d advise either being willing to pay for tournaments (which are great) or recognize that you’ll have to come back later for the fun free stuff.

That said, while my beta key went to an RL friend, anyone on here who still wants to get in should check over here:

So, setting aside the beta logistics and lawsuit talk, how’s the actual game treating you guys?

I’ve been drafting at every opportunity, both for fun and to build my collection before digging into constructed. I seem to be very streaky in my results – in the ten drafts since I started tracking, I’ve gone 0-1 four times and 3-0 six times, with nothing in between. The game is holding up really well for me, and I can see myself continuing to play for a long time to come, especially with everything that’s still in the works.

I stopped playing after getting tons of “card image missing” while browsing my collection or playing a game. The one draft I did also had several blank cards in the packs, and although I could zoom in to see the cards, it was just too annoying for me to continue with this, especially with so many other games worth playing instead.

never seen that error

It looks like this:

I’ve also never seen that on either computer I play on. There’s an occasional bug where one card in a draft will look blank or like a duplicate of another until you mouse over it, but nothing close to that scale. You might try the repair install feature from the launcher.

Yeah, that really looks like a set of missing files to me – if you look in

(HEX Install)/Data/Sets/Set001/Portraits/

How many files are there? You should have ~430.

Overall, if you click Repair Install on the patcher it will diff your local directory and the one to patch down and grab anything that is missing/fails an md5 check.

Chris Woods

Weird, I haven’t seen that either.

I haven’t hopped into any drafts or other tournaments yet, because I don’t know if I’ll have the time for it. I do have some tickets sitting around, but it’s tough to commit to a 3-hour thing and seems odd to start if you can’t stay to win (should you well enough).

I think the cards are quite interesting, and the game plays fairly well (apart from bugs and a few things I’d like to see streamlined like we talked about up thread). It’s a bit weird - I have a small collection, which makes it interesting to try to cobble together a deck (more like the old school days of Magic), where I’m basically like “what powerful cards do I actually have? How do I build a deck around them?” On the other hand, I’m used going out and getting a lot of 4-ofs to really build a deck out, so it’s a bit strange to have so few options. Like “Ok, I want a blue deck… there is one card that counters a spell, and I only have 1 copy of it.”

It actually makes me wonder if the Servant of Shattuck ability wouldn’t make for a really cool format (“you must have 20 different card names amongst non-resource cards in your deck” - though you’d have to enforce a max deck size of 60 or some scaling of the number 20 as well, I think, to keep the spirit).

Anyway, I’ve mostly been building decks, playing a few games, running into someone with a real deck and losing horribly, then trying a different idea.

This is something I went back and forth on too. If you have the free-draft-per-week tickets, you should probably just go ahead and do the draft to build your card pool. You paid (in Kickstarter) for those drafts – might as well get at least part of the value!

Also, you’re not going to piss anyone off by dropping. You’re just handing a free win to anyone you might have played, and it’s hard to believe anyone will get pissed about being pushed into a (higher) prize tier.