Hey Derek, should I bother with House of M?

I know you’re not the only comic junkie, but you’re the one with all the great pictures. I’m already trying to just pick out the good stuff from all the Crisis jazz over in DC, is anything to do with House of M going to be worth picking up?

To be honest with you, I haven’t even looked at whatever Marvel’s going to be doing for their summer “event”, so I’m really no help there.

Spoilers Ahead for those who care.

Seems a reworking on the whole Alternate Universe theme. The first issue just has everyone discussing what to do with Scarlet Witch in Bendis speech. So its set-up, putting the X-men and Avengers together. And at the end of it, it shows Peter (Spiderman) married to a blonde instead of a redhead. I’ll assume Gwen Stacy.

The writing is standard Bendis. which means its all set-up, dialogue and handwringing. Not a real of plot development goes on. Scarlet witch goes missing, White Queen seems to know something more than she lets on and Quicksilver and Magneto have something to do with it. That’s it. Standard Bendis, but somehow without the emotional punch that USM would have. I’d place it in the Avengers Disassembled category for now. There’s 7 issues to go. so it could conceivably get better.

Art’s is alright. It seems like a more detailed Stuart Immonen. Honestly, for a guy like me who loves the work that Cassaday, Hitch, Quitely and Finch pull off for this sort of comic. Coipel’s is better than average, but nothing fantastic. (the shot of all the X-men coming off the plane though, was really quite good.)

I’d suggest waiting around before picking it up. Just to see where it goes.

I’d also scan it, once somebody decides they could help me buy a scanner.

P.S. I didn’t read any of the satellite books tie-in since knowing how marketing for comics work, I’m cynical how much House of M story those actually have.

edit: because I’m a grammatical fuckwad

Sounds like another candidate for “digital acquisition now, legitimate TPB purchase later if it’s good!” Not that I would do or suggest that.

I’ll throw in some more:

The entire “story” will encompass about 50 issues. I think there’s 8 parts to the main House of M story, and then a handful of “alternate” minis (Spider Man, FF, Iron Man…).

Obviously it all connects to the end of the Avengers, and prelude-ed through Excalibur with Xavier and Magneto trying to help Wanda after Magneto airlifted her out.

Marvel is insisting that this won’t be the “standard” alternaverse deal, and that there will be impact after it’s over (mostly in contrast to the Infinity Gauntlet stuff, which just reset at the end).

Right now I’m planning on avoiding house of M. It just looks to flaky.

I think it’s entertaining that there are now two books that’re doing something with the full-version, totally established New Avengers when the NAs themselves have yet to put the full roster together in their own book.

House of M isn’t bad, but I have a high Bendis tolerance. Marvel’s also been pretty good about their big summer events lately, so I’ll be following it.

What summer events? They haven’t had a big event like this for about 5 years.

Avengers: Disassembled happened last year over a half-dozen titles.

Somebody lied to the Avengers?!

TYPWNED!

That turned out to be the first stage of House of M, but it really wasn’t a meaningful cross-over – they pretty cynically just slapped “disassembled” on the non-Avengers books, which really didn’t have anything to do with the storyline.

The last Marvel cross-over was Maximum Security back in 2000. When Jemas was in charge, he basically stopped them (they were pretty out of hand in the 1990s). But if they’re done well, I think they can be great – I like a more cohesive universe, with continuity and at least some evolution.

Me too … I hate getting too tied into these summer blockbusters. Reading issue 2 of OMAC convinced me to drop that series as well.

Hey what happened with Thor during the Avengers Disassembled stuff? I read through most of the Avengers Disassembled TPB the other night and they had some throwaway line about “Oh yeah, and did you hear about Thor?” Was he a part of the regular Avengers to begin with? All I really know about the Avengers is what I learned from the arcade game at the skating rink in middle school. I love the Ultimates, but I’ve never read the regular Avengers stuff.

Well you should at least consider the most likely possibilities, then: that Thor was in fact part of the Avengers at one point, but ran out of quarters, or was kicked out for forgetting to say thank you to Quicksilver when he ran by dropping a health powerup. As with many endeavors that end up not working out, one must ask one’s self: why should it goes well?

Well you should at least consider the most likely possibilities, then: that Thor was in fact part of the Avengers at one point, but ran out of quarters, or was kicked out for forgetting to say thank you to Quicksilver when he ran by dropping a health powerup. As with many endeavors that end up not working out, one must ask one’s self: why should it goes well?[/quote]

Damn you, now all I hear in my head is, “You will be the one escaping!”

I like the art in the freebie thing they gave out, but I’m also not picking it up, simply because with the way that comic prices just got jacked up again, it’s really cheaper to see if something’s good after the fact, then picking it up in GN format when these events inevitably get compiled.

The saddest part of the Disassembled stuff was the ending of Thor. Dan Jurgens built one of the best story arcs over 30 issues (Odin’s death, Thor assuming leadership of Asgard; Asgardian religion spreading across the globe; Thor taking more severe steps to “protect” the humans from themselves until he becomes a despot) – then Disassembled is announced – Michael Oeming comes on and in 6 issues Thor breaks the Ragnarok cycle, everyone of Asgard but him is dead, he sleeps some kind of Big Sleep and that’s it.

Except for Beta Ray Bill evidently. Always liked Sif, thought she coulda made it but… man. Talk about killing off a comic :)

— Alan

It was very odd. They continue to publish titles with worse numbers, so I’m still not sure why it happened. You also have to think “This is Marvel – Thor will be back in 6 months with a new #1 issue” but it hasn’t seemed to materialize.

They are apparently planning to relaunch Thor.

It really was a crazy decision to kill off everyone and everything that made the character. I’ve been meaning to pick up the Thor essentials for Kirby/Lee’s amazing initial run, which was just as sci-fi as FF, with Galactus, Ego the Living Planet, etc.