Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

I think you can ignore posters. Under the your settings, the very last entry is “mute users” and you can set up your list of users.

Yes, but…[quote=“wumpus, post:124, topic:119996”]
Note that muting a user simply blocks all notifications from them.
[/quote]
You don’t get DMs, but you still see their posts.

Interesting. I can’t say I’ll miss the feature, especially since I know there are people like diddums for whom it’s a useful feature regardless of wumpus’ concern that it allows bad behavior. It seems to me the ignore is a last resort when the bad behavior isn’t removed by other means, particularly in a small community like ours. There is some behavior that’s “allowed in the house” – to use wumpus’ terminology – but that some people just don’t want to see. That should be their prerogative. Really, though, I’m of the opinion that you should ignore something by just not reading it. But that’s often easier said than done. I confess that even I duck into P&R from time to time. :)

But I won’t miss the ignore feature because it’s too often used as a passive-aggressive cudgel. That old Usenet “plonk”, and the way people will loudly declare in a thread that “I’ve had so-and-so on ignore”, knowing that person is seeing the post. For those reasons, I’m happy to not have ignores.

-Tom

Not sure this is the right place for this question, but I’ll throw it out here (and if I missed some discussion about it, just lemme know). Would it be possible to have a link to the front page somewhere on the boards? I typically have the forums open all the time and I liked being able to jump to the home page by clicking the eyeball in the old forums. Now the eyeball goes to the forums home.

I realize it’s a little thing, and that I could have a second bookmark, but hey, I just thought I’d ask!

Yep! We’re working on it! Probably will be in place today or tomorrow.

We’ll be putting something at the top of the page! Stand by. And here’s a wiki’ed thread about what changes are on the way/being considered.

Having an ignore feature was how I managed to avoid fights with certain people that were probably not misbehaving on a level that deserves a ban but could quite easily have inspired me to violate a few rules. I guess I will just have to hope they didn’t make the transition. I don’t think it’s a great design decision.

On the flipside, I guess now I can confirm whether or not certain people are as big of assholes as I took them for weeks/months/years ago! Nothing like being proven right :P

Gah - no ignore feature anymore either?

Okay, I have a rather difficult time making the transition. I find, that when you strip Discourse of all the extra features like the avatar lists, the likes, the badges and all that stuff, what you have left, is an experience that is far less than the Vbullitin one.

Granted, a huge part of that is the head-ache inducing whiteness of the forum, and all the busywork I see on every page that will hopefully go away over time, but…Its not really an improvement in my eyes. I hate to be the “IF YOU DONT CHANGE I WILL LEAVE” guy (well, the second of those guys), but I’m finding myself less interested in participating in this forum than others, after the switch,and thats a bit sad.(For me, of course)

Anyways - I’ll keep an eye out for the changes, and when the styles come back, hopefully, so will my interest.

Throw me in with this group who is looking for some way to do this in Discourse. The vBulletin “New Posts” page showed a list of threads (not individual posts) that were:

1. New since your last visit.
  2. Old threads with new posts since your last visit.

It was basically a list of everything new or updated independent of category.

I’m not sure there’s an analogous function in Discourse. I’m guessing at how these work, but it seems like:

1. Latest - All threads in the forum listed by last post date in descending order.

2. New - All new threads in the forum since your last visit.

3. Updated - All existing threads in the forum with new posts since your last visit.

So the vBulletin page seemed to be a combination of Discourse’s New and Updated pages. Is that correct?

You can’t ignore users?
Thats too bad, for the people that need that feature.

It seems simple to have post have a class with the id of the user. Something like <div class="post-by-75">

So you could have a custom css applied with .post-by-75 { display:none; } …(or other CSS applied, like blurry + alpha)

Edit:

ignore all the above it seems that already exist

Not quite. All threads you have posted in, or spent a certain amount of minutes (configurable in your settings) reading, with new posts.

It’s a really handy summary view of new stuff happening in threads you have taken an interest or participated in.

Beyond that, the Latest timeline and the categories let you generally browse all posts sorted by date or filtered by category.

Wendelius

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I think this is a case where the software is trying to be a bit too clever. As someone who is mainly a lurker, and sometimes might open a thread and read it only for a few seconds, that means it would not appear again in the Updated listing. I do see that there’s an option to have the tracking start immediately, so I’ll try running with that and see what happens. I’ve also set New to be considered as any thread I haven’t viewed yet.

Latest will probably end up working for me (I really want one list), but I already miss how vBulletin filtered out stuff that I had already looked at/caught up on.

Some questions:

• Infinite scroll sucks. I guess this is a core design choice for Discourse, but has anyone figured out a way to turn it off?
  • I can’t figure out the difference between “Watched” and “Tracked”. Based on the descriptions, I’m guessing that “watched” sends you more notifications, but I have most emails turned off, so maybe they are the same for me?
  • Replies – it would seem that if more than one person replies to a post, only the first reply will actually show the quoted original they are replying to? That makes reading threads really weird and confusing since you never really know who someone is replying to. Can this be changed?

I’m with Diddums/Razgon/etc. on ignore lists. Qt3 has been a good source of left-leaning perspective for me, precisely because I can squelch the people in P&R who get my blood up the most, while still having their posts shown for reading in other forums where they don’t get my blood up nearly so much. With vB, I had three options (read P&R unfiltered, get angry, punch things; read P&R filtered, hear interesting opinions; ignore P&R altogether). I don’t have the middle option anymore, and my knuckles insist I go with the third, which makes me a little sad.

I’ve never ignored anybody myself, but then I don’t post or read P&R. User-level ignores are a very basic feature that should be available.

I ignored one person on these forums, and they no longer post on Qt3.

Yeah, I would probably have ended up with far more ignores if I ever went in P&R. But even in general discussion there are/were a couple folks I just did not want to interact with or hear from. I don’t presume nobody else did, though.

Yeah. The big problem with not having this in Discourse IMO is that it makes catching up on everything new a MUCH slower & more manual process. It makes me kind of dread having to walk through all the new threads if I haven’t been here in too many hours. And I REALLY don’t think that’s the intended design (right) ?

Diego

That is exactly me as well - its a chore, and thats not really how its meant to be, Im sure.