Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

No, that’s not how dates work. If i went to a message board and read something on 09/01/2001 don’t you think the fact it was on 911 actually means something? It means a hell of a lot more than just a quick line that just states 6 years ago.

Or are you saying really old is is just code for at some point the posts stop counting time and show the date? If that’s the case, what’s that time frame?

I’m working on making it an option in my script. I’ll post when it’s done.

Remember that interstitial time gaps will be shown when more than ~10 days elapses between replies. And you can always hover over to get the actual date and time, to the second, if needed.

Stallman bless you, @arrendek. @wumpus makes Discourse, but you make it great ;-)

What he said.

I’ve added it to my script. Next time your script manager auto-updates (or if you manually update it) then you’ll see absolute dates. I need to make it an option but that’s going to have to be tomorrow or Wednesday. For now, everyone gets it.

I suggest you create a dedicated topic for your script if you haven’t already – so people can find it and provide feedback directly, etc.

Yep, working on it now. Sorry, got ahead of myself. I’ll link it back to that post after it’s done.

Here it is:

And by the by, Discourse is pretty damn easy to work with. I wouldn’t be able to do half this shit with vBulletin, and what I could do would be harder.

lifesaver! Now I don’t have to use my brainpower unnecessarily!

@wumpus is there a way to add a user to an existing multi-user PM chain, or do I need to start a new one? I saw a topic on Discourse Meta that implied it was possible, but I’m not seeing the option in question on my screen. But might just be missing a SUPER obvious button.

Only available to trust level 2 users and I think @tomchick decided nobody gets to be trust level 2 because then people might edit topic titles and – catastrophe and worldwide destruction.

I mean you could safely promote me to Trust Level 2 because I’m a diehard topic-title originalist.

I even got business cards printed!

I don’t believe you. Sign and date it and take a picture of yourself holding it along with a newspaper from today and a sharpie in your…

Wait, ignore that last part.

I don’t trust a man who doesn’t put a black border around white text on his business cards.

Okay but did you see how I took the time to get Qt3’s IP address?

That shit’s dedication, yo.

↑ ↑ this ↑ ↑

“… the tasteful thickness of it…”

Hold on now. I’m sure we all want to hear you out.

Rather than making Armando a level 2 user, can’t you just make this feature available to level 1 people on this site?

I really like the circle showing me how many posts I’m behind - I typically let these build up before entering in a thread for things I’m marginally interested in.

However, I’d like a way to dismiss this for threads I enter but look around and think, nah I don’t want to hang around. How can I RESET it so discourse doesn’t think I’ve been in a thread?