Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

I run this in Firefox - I wonder if Tampermonkey in other browsers does things differently. It shouldn’t, and I’m pretty sure I use this in Vivaldi as well without issue. Will try to think up other suggestions.

It works for me if I install the fonts on my system rather than relying on the script/browser to fetch them from Google’s cdn.

I haven’t been able to figure out why. My webdevfu is like a decade out of date.

Ohhh, I would have never thought of that! I do have that font local as well, so hoping that fixes it for anyone else trying to make it work.

The google font api doesn’t contain a definition for ‘Roboto Medium’.

html { FONT-FAMILY: Roboto Medium; !important; ...

Should be;

html { font-family: Roboto !important; ...

(It also needed a minor colectomy. Trust me, I’m a doctor. Somewhere. AND WHY ARE WE SHOUTING ABOUT FONTS P.S. FIRA SANS ROOLZ)

That did the trick for me, thanks!

Thanks for the fix - no idea why it always worked for me as-is. Post updated.

EDIT: Hah - so this works, but it of course puts the font back to plain ol’ Roboto… still better, of course!

It’s the standard problem with ‘custom fonts’ on the web; If you’ve got Roboto Medium installed on your PC as a ‘proper’ font your browser will make use of it, if not it’ll work its way through whatever rules govern its choice of defaults to eventually end up at something it can display. Typically Times New Roman.

Of course, Roboto is not Roboto Medium so all we may need is a proper fallback rule here since it doesn’t know any better. So we can change the root rule to;

html { font-family: 'Roboto Medium', Roboto !important; ...

But that sucks for people without Roboto Medium and I’m sure we can do better. I’m not much of a Roboto connoisseur* but perhaps merely loading in the more weighted version google offers is all you want here. 400 is the default but it sounds like you enjoy it a bit thicker** at 500. Fortunately we can do that fairly easily via changing the font link to;

//fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Roboto:wght@400;500&display=swap

Then you need to set the font-weight in your root css rule.

html { font-family: Roboto !important; font-weight: 500 !important; ...

That may approximate whatever ‘Roboto Medium’ looks like, though you can of course go through everything google offers here and see what looks best @ Google Fonts.

* Because I’m a fox of wealth and taste and, as stated, Fira Sans.
** (⊙_⊙’)

Appreciate your CSS skills here - that does indeed work as stated on the tin (original post updated as well). I even tried out Fira Sans*, as apparently we now know the answer to the age old question of ‘what does the fox say’.

Also, CSS is dumb.

• Alas, won’t be keeping. I could see it being nicer on a 1440+ res screen.

These days when I click on the category dropdown within a forum, like Hardware and Technical Stuff, the category menu shows up as searchable, with a dropdown of previous search terms already open, which obscures the actual category list. Just me?

It only stays open with mouseover, but still :)

Possibly? Doesn’t happen for me. That kinda has the look of a browser add-on rather than the forum doing it.

I’ve got normal operation, here. Sounds like a possible issue with your browser; which are you using?

Well look at that. Seems to have gone away now :)

@stusser and @Clay

Screenshots are refusing to process to upload. I’m assuming that might be a database issue so pinging you both.

I image this morning, but as you can see image uploads seem fine here.

Edit:

I’ll recheck on the games thread. Thanks for the quick check though!

Sure thing.

Nope. I’m getting this. Ginger_Yellow mentioned the same …

And I can post an image here, just not there on the Games subforum.

Seemed to work fine for me.

Works fine in that same thread too:

FWIW, I’m still having it hang on processing in the FS22 thread.

Weird. It still shows “Processing” for me in every thread, including this one.