Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

Probably deleted last post, or deleted spam post.

Actually, Iā€™m about 90% sure there was a spam post in that thread recently. So, yeah.

Also, edits to the last post in a thread will jump the thread up to the top in Latest view.

The small window size of loaded posts drives me nuts every day. Having to scroll scroll scroll to force page loads. Is there any way to default that to like, 10x the current value? The in thread search is really slow and I canā€™t use my browser search because the content is never on the page unless I hold down page up or down forever.

What platform are you on? What version and browser?

I can search this topic in under 2 seconds, so are you referring to a mega-topic of some kind?

Man, thatā€™d be awesome, esp. since hitting no signal while scrolling down too far on a page (e.g., while riding in the elevators at work and reading) sometimes causes my mobile browser to spazz out.

A lot of times I donā€™t know exactly what Iā€™m looking for, I just remember itā€™s back like 50 posts or something and I just want to quickly scan. But it takes like 5 page loads to do it now.

If youā€™re on Android your page size will be smaller for performance reasons, so I really need to know what platform you are on per my previous question.

Will there ever be a way to swipe and mute threads from the thread list, or would that not be possible with the page framework? I just want to know if I should get my hopes up.

I was hoping for this JUST NOW as well. Well, a way to ā€œuntrackā€ threads in my ā€œunreadā€ list. Some of them I donā€™t care about, but opening them, scrolling to the bottom and pressing ā€œuntrackā€ is too much work, so I donā€™t bother.

Read the ones you want to read, then go to the ā€œunreadā€ view (on desktop, at least), scroll to the bottom and click ā€œdismiss unreadā€. You should get a prompt asking whether you would also like to untrack them.

@wumpus

Hi, Chrome on IOS gives a weird message whenever I try to access qt3. Works on other platforms and browsers.

I looked it up and it seems that maybe some cross-site scripting like ā€œxdomainā€ iframe or something may be rejected by Chrome browser on IOS.

Weird thing is that Chrome on other platforms is working. Thought you may want to look into this.

Do you have any customizations or plugins for Chrome on iOS?

Hi, nope. Itā€™s a normal Chrome on my IPhone 6+.

It happened after the latest IOS update.

Is there any kind of help page/manual? I do not mean the hot keys one, but something that might explain all the tags you can use in posts. If there isnā€™t one, then I would suggest adding a link to one in the hamburger menu.

I believe youā€™re asking for a Common Markdown cheat sheet or reference link. I think having one in the hamburger menu is a good idea.

HI @wumpus, I updated Chrome after the IOS update and the site is working again. So things are well and good now!

Ok great, thanks for the update!

Iā€™m getting pretty frustrated with Discourse on Android Chrome. A lot of times it doesnā€™t keep track of what Iā€™ve read, telling me that Iā€™ve got 48 new replies to the Presidential thread when I actually read them all 10 minutes before and I have to scroll all the way back down in order to find where the new replies actually start. And sometimes when I highlight some text to quote someone, the ā€œquote replyā€ button doesnā€™t pop up!

What version of Chrome? What version of Android? What device? Are you using any plugins or non default configuration?

Also if it is only that topic which you have issues with I strongly suggest creating a new topic, as anything over 10k replies can be rough on low memory devices. (Long story but a list of all post IDs is sent to the device as part of the topic navigation.)

The same thing happens to me regularly on a recent Motorola Moto X Play phone running Android 6.0.1. I use Chrome. No add ons whatsoever. It happens on smaller threads too. But Iā€™ll make a note of which ones.

A typical occurrence is reading marked threads. Switching to another task for an hour or 2 and, when I get back to Discourse, the old threads are marked unread.

Edit: I believe one work around is to ā€œpull refreshā€ the page. If I force a complete reload, then the read markers seem more reliable (indicating they get stored server side OK, I guess). Iā€™ll double-check.

But that negates the advantages Discourse data and dynamic refresh wise. Itā€™s also quite slow as, when you do that, the data has to be pulled, then the page goes blank for a fraction of a second, after which the app shell and the content get redrawn.

Wendelius