Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

Yeah, same here.

Sometimes, I mute a topic and then later decide to un-mute it. Usually, I change it back to normal. The problem is that “Normal” under those conditions is not the same as “Normal” under default conditions, where it automatically changes to “Tracking” if I spend enough time in the topic. I would really like a way to reset the tracking back to the default state, wherein Discourse puts it at “Normal” then may again change it to “Tracking” if I spend enough time there. Sadly, that does not seem to be an option.

I rarely un-mute a topic, though sometimes I wish there was a Hush option to mute a thread for a couple weeks and then automatically set it back to normal. That way I can keep the initial deluge out of Latest but then see it again a few months later when Telefrog posts a news update to the thread or something.

Is there a way to display the post numbers? (As in post #1, post #2, post #3… post #532)

It would make it easier to reference an earlier post.

When you reply to a post, you get an automatic link to it in the reply. Click on the link and it takes you to the post.

Beyond that, on mobile at least, when you are looking at a post, you always see it’s number at the bottom right:

Using the reply functionally is much better though. It lets the reader access the original post in one click. No need to hunt for it.

Wendelius

That’s on mobile.

Click on the timestamp on desktop, and it shows the post #.

Timestamp at upper right (the timestamp click target is absurdly small here due to unusual site settings that is kind of a bug on our end I need to look at) … or click the share / link icon at the bottom of each post.

11 posts were split to a new topic: Android Chrome forum problems?

When filtering and un-filtering a thread Discourse seems to dump you back at the top of the thread, rather than at your read position. (Or approximate read position, assuming that your current read position is now hidden). Pretty annoying in 1000 post long thread and I couldn’t remember which post I was just on!

Is there a way to go ‘back’?

Is it me, or is the Discourse iOS app complete shit? All it does is launch a Safari window. Is there anything else???

I don’t see why an app would be necessary. Especially in Safari, Discourse is better than the vast majority of dedicated apps out there. I cant think of anything a Discourse app might do better.

I think its primary purpose is to allow push notifications in iOS. At least that’s all it seems to do.

On the browser version is there any way to:

1. See all the threads I’m tracking (even if there are no unread posts in them)
  2. Go to a thread I’ve never read before and set it to tracking…but without scrolling to the last post (since I don’t want that to be marked as my ‘last read’ position

Thanks

If you enter a topic you have never entered before it will always be at the first post.

To enter a topic you have previously entered before at a position other than your last read post, click or tap the post count, as mentioned several times earlier in this topic. A pop up will appear and you can choose the first or last post/date as your entry point.

My use case is that I periodically browse the new or latest posts and see if there’s anything I’m interested in. I might not have time to read it then so I want to set it to tracked so I can return later.

Since I have to go to the last post to select ‘Tracked’ I can no longer have Discourse remember where I had actually read up to - it (understandably) considers me to have read up until the last post.

You do not need to be at last post to set notification status, use the control under the timeline at the right. This is visible on all posts. Unless you are on mobile.

Discourse on Firefox works fine on iOS.

Turning off chrome seems to fix my problem, but still not sure the cause.

Thanks. Unfortunately I browse pretty much exclusively on mobile. ☺️

I just stay frustrated with QT3 these days; the forum software on every other forum I read regularly (about 10 in a day) works pretty much the same, with the same general standards and methodology, and I come here and have to read a 784 post thread to figure out how to do simple things.

I know it’s just me being a stubborn old fart, but the forum (and I’ve tried and tried and tried) has made QT3 a place I visit a lot less than I used to, and when I do visit I read/post a lot less. :(