Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

Jakob Nielsen, an actual usability expert, thinks passwords shouldn’t be masked at all.

Also the stackexchange question is talking about sign-up not password reset. A small but important difference.

It’s the exact same form. We reuse UI there identically.

Edit: note that on mobile the last char is not masked which is also a good idea on desktop imo. People complain about login during presentations though, and nobody really presents from their mobile device… yet.

Ok, I have a Discourse question. Recently I’ve had some weird bugs when visiting Qt3. Just now when I opened the “discord question” thread, Chrome notified me first that some twitch swf was trying to install and then when i cancelled that and reloaded I got a popup

that the forum was trying to download something.

Also recently when I visited the “wisdom and aphorism” thread I was autoforwarded to some other website (unfortunately I’ve forgotten which one it was).

I haven’t encountered these things when visiting other sites & forums, so I’m assuming its a Discourse thing? Though obviously I can’t be sure, as it only occurs randomly (as yet ONLY when visiting Qt3).

Perhaps I need to look at script blockers for chrome? (only using ublock origin currently)

Someone is using weird embeds in their posts, I guess. You’d need to narrow it down to individual posts. I don’t see that behavior but I have had Flash on click-to-play since 2011. In newer browsers, click to play for Flash will (finally, jesus) be the default.

Yeah, not sure which posts triggered it. Will try to narrow it down next time it happens. From what I understand, Chrome only runs Flash if I confirm it, as I have the “Ask first before allowing sites to run…” option enabled.

Lets see if and when it happens again.

I’d need to know rough reply number, you can get the reply number by clicking or tapping the link icon.

So I’ve unpinned all the standard ‘Welcome to the Forum’ posts. Is there a toggle or a method to see all the pinned threads that I’ve unpinned. I imagine if I log out I can see them, but is there a way to accomplish this without logging out?

Couple options

• incognito mode in the browser (right click in Chrome)
  • advanced search, specify pinned topics

It does occur to me that we should make it easier to refer to the pinned topics once you’ve unpinned them (for yourself).

Thanks. I tried the incognito method (essentially logging out) to find them.

The search method for pinned threads, which didn’t occur to me (I didn’t know there was an option to search for pinned topics) actually suits my needs just fine. It’s rare I’d want to refer to a pinned thread, and the search is easy enough.

OK, how do you get the text to show up next to your avatar/username?

That’s currently set individually for certain users who’ve drawn the notice of our admin team somehow. Wumpus did just implement a system to allow those “tags” to be doled out as a reward for Patreon backers, but this hasn’t been turned on or configured, and may not be (it’s just a new option the forum system here has now).

Thanks, Armando, I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure that out!

“Spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure this out” would make a pretty good custom title.

Indeed it would. . . @tomchick ;-)

Sure, create a new topic about how to get the custom user title. There is also the Patreon integration to be done by Tom, requires entry of the Patreon credentials.

You would think so, but it gets cut short.

Although come to think of it, that makes it an even better troll.

Awesome, thanks, guys.

We’re here to help!

I know this isn’t the right place for this and I know that I will be criticized and I fully expect wumpus to come hurt me and stuff but man I really feel like you’ve got a few very serious usability problems that I don’t know how you solve.

I personally find infinite scroll to be almost unbearable. I honestly participate less than I would like to because of it. Here’s an example:

Let’s say I have been gone for years (I have been) and I come back and I want to catch up with the last maybe 30-50 posts. In a paged forum all I have to do is go to the 3rd to last page. Here’s what happens in Discourse:

1. I attempt to use the blue scrollie thing to go to the last post.
  2. This does not work for me about half the time. I drag it down to the bottom and nothing happens.
  3. I do this again to get to the end and it works the second time.
  4. I start reading backwards and like the really bad terrain pop-in in old 3D games, the earlier posts suddenly pop in. On some devices the scroll-to-the-past seems broken and I completely lose my place.

So it’s basically very very hard for me to catch up on older posts in a way that is trivially easy in a paged forum.

Long story short, for me pages are essentially a “solved” way of dealing with navigating through a lot of content. There’s a reason that ancient writing technology moved from being written on long scrolls that had to be unrolled to the right spot to pages in a book.

I really get the impression that wumpus simply will not do things in a way that does not conform to the way he wants to do things. I think it’s very cool that he’s done so well with his projects and efforts on SO etc that he can do that…I have a ton of respect for the idea of him having a vision and just gunning for it, but in this particular case it just seems like tilting at the most ridiculous windmill.

I’d like to think that in a perfect world Discourse could be forum software the supported infinite scroll for people that like it and allowed paged reading for people who didn’t but I have a feeling wumpus will tell me that the design is so tightly coupled to the infinite scroll paradigm that it’s “impossible” which is to say prohibitive in the extreme.

Anyway, I don’t really know the history of whatever wars went on over infinite scroll and the conversion to Discourse so I’m sure I’m just repeating something that was said before and probably declared anathema, but I kind of just had to vent and say that I really think that it’s a very bad design choice for forum software.

I’m perfectly happy with infinite scroll in some other contexts (like when LinkedIn is showing me an ever expanding list of people I might know) but for a forum it feels utterly wrong.

But cheers and best wishes wumpus and I hope you succeed and that the group of people that enjoy this paradigm make this another great success for you. For me I’ll kind of have to use it somewhat begrudgingly. :) I admire your chops and visionaryness tons but this one design choice just isn’t for me.

Why? If you’re on a desktop computer you can just jump directly to the last post by clicking on the time / date of the last post, indicated in light grey at the bottom of the scrollbar.

If you’re on mobile, you have to tap on the shaded blue number of posts box, then click on the light grey time of last post indicator. It does have the extra step.

In any case, I love infinite scroll, and I’m not the right one to convince you it’s better. It just clicks (ha ha…) with the way I enjoy reading forums.