Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

I still kinda hate it but shit my UI preferences skew to the actively insane so what do I know?

ā€œEnter not at the end but kinda sorta near the endā€, then?

• Use the keyboard shortcut to jump to whatever exact post number you want, say 450/500. Press the ? key on your keyboard to start. As I recall I think it is the # number sign (pound sign) key but I am on iPad giant edition at the moment so I canā€™t check. Another protip: guess what the END key on your keyboard does? Try HOME as well.

• if you prefer mouse or touch, drag the scroller where you want it to be. Click or tap on the top date or bottom date on the vertical scroll bar to go there.

• to directly enter at the bottom or top of from the topic list, click or tap the post count number.

It is true that scrolling upward extensively is always gonna be a near worst case scenario due to the way height calculations cascade down.

I havenā€™t encountered any of the described issues with infinite scroll, with scrolling to the end, scrolling up from the bottom, etc.

Sounds like a bug with the browser youā€™re using or the site itself rather than a genuine usability issue. I wish every forum I go to used Discourse.

Also you jump to any post on mobile using the jump button at lower left here

Ok thatā€™s interesting and very helpful infoā€¦the discoverability of clicking the ā€œxh agoā€ is fairly low though. Never even occurred to me :)

Using Safari iOS 10.3 on iPhone 6 Plus.
Somehow the hamburger menu disappears.

Itā€™s still functional though. When I tap on the empty space where the hamburger menu used to be, it still works.

Hmm, canā€™t find the edit post button. Is that missing too? Hereā€™s a better screen shot.

I feel as if I had something like that happen to me in the past, and I solved it by whitelisting Qt3 on my content blocker (which people in general should do anyway, unless theyā€™re contributing to Tomā€™s Patreon). I use 1Blocker on iOS, perhaps you do, too?

The ads are gone-- go ahead and whitelist!

Damn it! You nailed it. Iā€™ve always use Purify as my content blocker and Iā€™ve whitelisted Qt3. So I went to check and whatā€™s this Firefox Focus Content Blocker?! I turned it off and all is well. Thanks.

Is there no strikethrough in Discourse?

There isnā€™t! There sure is! (Itā€™s [s][/s])

Thanks man. How did I not think of that. I was trying double tilde and [strikethrough]

Faux-HTML with <'s also gets recognized.

<s>test</s> gets you test

How do i quote text from an external source and make separate blocks of text?

Ie, when i Ctrl+V Ctrl+V but want the quote blocks to be distinct.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec eget mauris eu magna scelerisque pellentesque. Curabitur hendrerit faucibus massa sit amet sollicitudin. Praesent eget orci magna. Nulla tristique tellus ut ex sagittis bibendum. Morbi malesuada enim commodo, interdum nisl quis, maximus eros. Nulla at auctor ex, ultricies porta elit. Nullam ac laoreet neque. Quisque at sapien finibus, pharetra sem vitae, facilisis ante. Maecenas laoreet mi at nibh tempus sodales. Aliquam convallis aliquet congue. Etiam bibendum cursus tortor, eget tempor nisi fringilla a. Ut eget lorem elementum, tristique mauris et, varius ex. Suspendisse consectetur, elit nec vulputate molestie, lectus odio imperdiet arcu, non interdum augue sapien tristique orci.

Proin elit eros, ullamcorper nec urna id, viverra hendrerit felis. Fusce elit massa, laoreet ut metus sed, dapibus condimentum mauris. Phasellus hendrerit nibh ex. Nullam feugiat nulla dictum vestibulum placerat. Aenean eu lacinia urna. Donec in vestibulum nibh. Sed ut iaculis nisl. Aenean semper massa id erat pharetra, vel elementum quam suscipit. Donec vel volutpat purus. Quisque ut odio at sem molestie dignissim. Nunc massa metus, malesuada sit amet ipsum at, facilisis dapibus felis. Aenean imperdiet placerat ipsum, ut eleifend magna luctus at. Nam nec nisl vel magna iaculis laoreet quis a felis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Nulla pellentesque, ante sed ultricies venenatis, eros ante viverra sem, vel faucibus ex turpis ullamcorper est. Pellentesque at lectus lorem.

I paste them in separately, block quote them, but Discourse smashes them together. Do i have to type placeholder spaces for this to work correctly?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec eget mauris eu magna scelerisque pellentesque. Curabitur hendrerit faucibus massa sit amet sollicitudin. Praesent eget orci magna. Nulla tristique tellus ut ex sagittis bibendum. Morbi malesuada enim commodo, interdum nisl quis, maximus eros. Nulla at auctor ex, ultricies porta elit. Nullam ac laoreet neque. Quisque at sapien finibus, pharetra sem vitae, facilisis ante. Maecenas laoreet mi at nibh tempus sodales. Aliquam convallis aliquet congue. Etiam bibendum cursus tortor, eget tempor nisi fringilla a. Ut eget lorem elementum, tristique mauris et, varius ex. Suspendisse consectetur, elit nec vulputate molestie, lectus odio imperdiet arcu, non interdum augue sapien tristique orci.

Proin elit eros, ullamcorper nec urna id, viverra hendrerit felis. Fusce elit massa, laoreet ut metus sed, dapibus condimentum mauris. Phasellus hendrerit nibh ex. Nullam feugiat nulla dictum vestibulum placerat. Aenean eu lacinia urna. Donec in vestibulum nibh. Sed ut iaculis nisl. Aenean semper massa id erat pharetra, vel elementum quam suscipit. Donec vel volutpat purus. Quisque ut odio at sem molestie dignissim. Nunc massa metus, malesuada sit amet ipsum at, facilisis dapibus felis. Aenean imperdiet placerat ipsum, ut eleifend magna luctus at. Nam nec nisl vel magna iaculis laoreet quis a felis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Nulla pellentesque, ante sed ultricies venenatis, eros ante viverra sem, vel faucibus ex turpis ullamcorper est. Pellentesque at lectus lorem.

[quote]like this?[/quote]
[quote]second block[/quote]

Well, thatā€™s what i used to do in Vbulletin, so i guess it still works in Discouse? Trying to become a button-user and using the Blockquote button.

Yep. Blockquote doesnā€™t work.

I agree the button method is a bit of a pain to get working correctly.

Did someone enable the ā€œlike this postā€ option???