Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

It seems bizarre to prioritize recency over relevance.

It’s almost all the time what people want. They don’t give a shit about a 10 year old topic.

You clearly don’t know this board, Jeff ;-)

Well, yes, I do, but the average person doesn’t ;)

We’ll get that in:title search term in soon, I promise.

<3…

They also don’t give a shit about topics that are unrelated to what they are searching for, typically to a much greater degree.

If you put the multi-word term in quotes, you get relevant matches in all cases. Bear that in mind.

Wait. If I use Discourse there will be a bear in my mind? Oh heck. Now he will fight with the snake in my head. You could let us know first, okay?

I mean, cool, but there’s still some fucked up priorities going on in the weighting.

Ok in:title is in place now… plus, thanks to an external contributor we figured out how Postgres supports native weightings and we were able to weight title more heavily. You’ll be excited @Thraeg

Sounds like a re-index is required so it may take a day for things to settle. edit: I manually reindexed everything, so it’s all good now.

Yes, there were. Either postgres added weightings, or the person who worked on this wasn’t aware of them at the time search was built 3 years ago. But looking at the docs, Postgres 9.1 already had this and that was 2011.

Very nice, thanks to everyone who helped to get Title searches added. :D

Nice, sounds like a great improvement!

…and it didn’t even take the resources of Google!

Having someone on the outside look at the search code from first principles was very helpful.

I’m not sure if this is discourse only, but how do I disabled the Google assistant search that pops up on the bottom row of my phone. Chrome browser. It constantly pops up on the forum, often blocking the option to click on the post count.

Oh my god if someone manages to fix the “Back button sometimes takes you back to the last thread you were reading instead of the last page you were actually on” bug I will fucking kiss them on the mouth. It’s so goddamn obnoxious to be scrolled like 4 page-loads down catching up on threads from the previous day, hit back to return to Latest view, and instead get dumped into the last thread I was reading (where I know another back will take me out entirely, since that was what was “before” Latest in my browser’s memory of things), forcing me to reload Latest, which means I have to scroll back down to where I was, waiting on the page loads. . .

. . . which of course I have to wait on, because the bug where if you enter a thread while the forum is loading more, older threads below where you’re looking (spinning circle), when you back out of the thread to the previous view, it’ll slingshot you down 4-5 page-lengths from where you were like crazy.

Weird question; is there a way to upload a .csv file here to share with the forum, or are those potentially dangerous/bandwidth hogs?

I didn’t realize this myself, but a recent feature allows you to set your own forum homepage. So if you’d rather see Latest rather than Categories like me, just go into the settings, interface, and set that. Pretty sweet!

Is this because the topic links to itself, e.g. see this link to earlier in this topic. That’s a jump to a higher position in the same web page, and is by design.

Otherwise do you have repro steps?

It’s not that and it’s what I’ve described before. My usual use case on mobile is thus.

I have a Chrome bookmark to the forum Frontpage (the Categories View, I guess). This opens one of those single view Chrome applets with no URL bar. From there, I click Latest. I then click a topic title to view a thread. I press back. This returns me to Latest View. I click another topic title and enter another thread. Back button to Latest. And so on.

Sometimes, when I press Back, it does not take me to Latest. Instead it takes me to the previous thread I was viewing. I am absolutely confident with no confusion whatsoever that the actual previous / last page is Latest. I do NOT use the breadcrumbs or suggested threads options at the buttons of threads to go directly from one thread to another. I ALWAYS return to Latest before selecting my next thread.

So when this happens, the browser, instead of taking my to the last place I was at (Latest), actually takes me to the last branch off of Latest I followed and backed out of. Funnily enough, if I hit back again, I’m taken to Categories View, which is “correct” insofar as it’s where I navigated to Latest from, but it skips over Latest entirely.

To repro? Go to Latest, click on thread, back out, click on thread, back out, etc, until it occurs. I’m my experience, this error occurs about 5-10% of the time. It’s occurred on two separate Android phones across about three major versions of Android.

Ok cool if we can repro, we can fix. 💖