Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

I keep thinking about just recording my phone while I surf the site to prove I’m not crazy cuz it’s the weirdest goddamn thing

Do you know if this is the old Chrome “Add to Homescreen” bookmark or the new fancy WebAPK “Add to homescreen”?

One way to check is going to your app list (Android Settings > Apps & Notifications > See all apps) and checking if you have a “Quarter to Three Forums” app:

If you have the app, then you are using the new WebAPK and I couldn’t repro it yet.

If you don’t have the app, remove the bookmark and add it again and let’s see if this happens in the WebAPK.

Ooo, I do appear to have the old one. I’ll replace the bookmark tonight and see how it goes!

I have the same issue on desktop Chrome, but at a much lower rate. Forward/Back will skip the topic listing and toggle between the current topic and the last one I read.

Damn, just had it pop up on me using the new webapk version of the bookmarklet. It’s crazy intermittent, but very reliably happens… Eventually.

I updated my link same as you and I’m still getting the same problem sporadically

Hey @LockerK, @ArmandoPenblade and @arrendek

Is the issue just like this one:

I spend a bit trying to repro here in both my phone and on my desktop but no luck so far.

Is there any JS customizations here in the page transition event?

I only run my script on desktop and I don’t have the problem there, only on mobile. So, no customizations, not for me.

Also, it’s the same issue as described for me except:
a) it’s on mobile, never desktop
b) it’s from unread rather than latest
c) it’s when I use the back button rather than a keyboard shortcut

Since my bookmarklet doesn’t have a full interface, I don’t even have the option to try that. D’oh.

Similar issue as described; I almost exclusively browse on desktop and always use the forward/back buttons on my mouse. Usually browsing via the Latest view.

The issue above is mobile exclusive. Can you give me a specific set of desktop repro steps?

I could try surfing the site on desktop the way I do mobile sometime and see how it pans out. I just open a shitfuckton of tabs on desktop, though. Not so easy to do on mobile :)

When viewing old posts, is there an easy way to see the dates of the posts?

e.g. I’m reading the Star Trek Discovery thread and don’t want to go past the 15th October 17, as I’ve not seen that episode yet… but Discourse just likes to lump everything into “Oct '17”, as if that’s a helpful thing to display.

I could click on the timestamp for every single post, but that’s really tedious.

If you’re on desktop, use @arrendek’s excellent Discourse modifying user script to correct @wumpus’s pointless fixation on obscuring useful information. If you’re on mobile, alas…

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

ps: More back button fun. Filter this thread to arrendek, which does a little “reload” animation, changes my address bar, and so I INSTINCTIVELY press the back button only to end up in the Star Trek thread. :’( (Where, coincidentally, Armando is the first person to comment on Episode 5, and therefore the current watermark of spoilerdom). But I realise the back-button wars are long over.

FYI, I’ve noticed the the script can hang a bit and not change the dates on posts right away and blur ignored people under certain scenarios but once you scroll around it will modify them. I’ll look at it eventually.

Yeah, you are still in the same topic, just filtered by user.

We need more cues / buttons to cancel the filtering though, I agree. Right now you cancel filtering by clicking the same user then cancel (the same way you initiated the filtering).

I wonder if it’s some limitation of the history API in Chrome… a curious and I’m guessing related thing happened to me randomly tonight. I refreshed the page on the unread page (I’d been browsing the same way that gives me that repro as mentioned above) and instead of refreshing the unread view it took me back to the last post I viewed in the last thread I’d been in. Then when I hit back it skipped the unread page view and brought me back to the categories screen the app usually starts on.

Dunno.

I browse exclusively using chrome in mobile and never saw this behavior.

My workflow is: latest > topic > back button to latest

So it’s very similar to what you guys use. I’m even spending a lot of time here (northgard and they are billions suggestions are gold) and checking if I can trigger it.

It’s maddening because I have no idea what behavior or threads trigger it specifically. Maybe it’s got something to do with the content of the posts I’m looking at (maybe the current thread ends with a video embed, or maybe the previous thread received exactly one reply while I was “gone”). Or maybe it’s something systemic, like being low on spare RAM, and the browser struggles to keep up. Maybe the keyboard I’m using (SwiftKey) or the fact that LastPass is always active on my phone and desktop, or maybe it’s just my zip code or hair length…

Drives me batty, hah