Hey Seattle folks, want to pay a visit to Valve?

Hey folks, this thread is an offshoot of the other Valve tour thread offer to PAX attendees. Chet has offered a separate tour opportunity for those of us who live in the area so hopefully both groups can be held to manageable numbers.

So let’s discuss who is interested in attending (me!) and also potential dates. Jump in Chet if you have any guidelines or dates you or the larger Valve group would prefer. And thanks again to the Valve folks for the offer!

I’m in for whatever date we agree on.

I’d like to come with my son. This is in downtown Bellevue, right? Am I the only one who doesn’t already know the exact address? Thanks for creating this thread, Pogue!

I guess I’m in for whatever date is decided upon. I have no opinion on the matter except that I would like to go.

I’m in.

Depending on the details (date, time, etc.), I’d enjoy paying a visit to Valve and meeting more Qt3 folks!

I’m up for a local tour + meetup, depending on the date. Also, I’m up for more Artemis at some point.

I’m in.

Rei, I read your post before you edited it and I assure you that I am completely aware of the value of everyone at Valve’s time and appreciate Chet making the offer in the other thread. The intention of this thread is to hopefully do some of the heavy lifting of getting a list of potential visitors together and maybe get dates and times together. I am not presuming to dictate to anyone at Valve, nor am i taking their offer for granted, and hope that i am not giving an appearance otherwise.

Yeah, you’re a good guy Pogue so I edited it after posting. Didn’t want it to seem like a “Hey Internet Free-For-All” – I’ll be in Seattle that week too but am not sure if I want to show my face. I mean, an (game developer) office is an office right?

I mean, an (game developer) office is an office right?

No. Valve is so far beyond the rest of the industry it’s mind blowing. The employee perks there are ridiculous, and the open plan seating (done intentionally vs. “we can’t afford offices” open plan rooms that other developers have) is interesting to behold. And of course you get to see the cool swag, 3D printers, etc.

If you’re a fan of Valve and you have a chance to visit them on a tour, it’s definitely worth it. It’s not Willy Wonka’s or anything like that but it’s definitely significantly different than visiting Random Second Tier Dev.

How much better than Bioware is it? :)

I’d love to attend! One or both of my kids would like to as well, if that’s possible.

For a kid that thinks he wants to make games for a living, I think it’s a great opportunity.

No. It’s the worst thing ever. You should take him to EA and show him how 99.9% of the rest of the game developers are used and abused and spit out.

Friends don’t let friends become game developers without a long talking to.

Most of the devs I know no longer play games themselves. Granted, my sample size of 4 and 3/4 having the business kill their love of gaming bouncing from EA/Bioware/Ubisoft/THQ/Radical/smaller GBA/flash/DS/Facebook-game companies is not the hugest sample. Like the cautionary tale told by the Free Radical thread/post about dealing with publishers, don’t necessarily learn how sausage is made if you love sausage. Plus they’re in late 20s to early 40s sooo…priorities change.

It’s akin to “being a games writer” which is no easy way to riches.

Unless you are extremely driven, find a non-game industry that pays well and offers you free time to play games as a hobby is often better.

hahaha, I hear you. But when you’re fourteen, you should dream a lot. He’ll be tickled to see it.

Heh, when I read the thread title, I had a … different association.

Have fun guys.

rezaf

Any updates?