Hi-Fi RUSH: Devil May Cry, Sunset Overdrive and Guitar Hero thrown into a blender

I downloaded the PC version of this from Game Pass and find the implementation of the “strong attack” a little weird, especially in combos.

For instance, I see there’s a combo that calls for button presses (Xbox controller): X, Y, X, X, where X corresponds to the “light attack” and the Y to the strong. I’d interpret that as hitting the X on beat 1, the Y on beat two, not hitting any button on beat three (the character’s audible sneaker slap), then hitting the X and X on the next two beats.

But when I see the sample animation for the combo it looks like the character is doing “hit(X), sneaker slap, hit(Y), hit(X), hit(X)”. Is it that the strong attack’s animation happens on the beat following the Y button press? That might explain it.

Maybe I’m not doing the strong attack right in the first place. Am I supposed to hold down the Y for two beats or something? I thought hitting the button and waiting a beat before hitting another was sufficient for the game to parse it as the strong attack.

BTW I’ve met the Rocker GRRL and am in the hideout, having beat the first boss out of sheer bloody minded button-mashing.