High Frontier 3rd Edition PBF/Vassal - Remember the Cant!

Definitely red :) That’s why I was worried about a solar flare last turn.

No we’re second year into the red sector Josh is correct.

And congrats by the way! You had pretty good odds and it’s a good plan all around. You’ll even have a lab.

Thanks! Yeah, not sure what the next part of the plan is.

Oh, and according to the 4th Edition Kickstarter, they’re keeping a Tabletop Simulator module updated with the stuff in development.

Due the ruling, I decommed NASA’s other generator.

Then for my turn, I afterburned with my thruster to coax 1 TMP out of the thruster powered by my solar generator out here in the darkness of the asteroid belt, then moved my rocket to the burn on the path to Jupiter, expending my last fuel. Decided not to risk a run through Jupiter’s radiation belts just yet. I also returned my Bernal to home orbit, burning a bunch of dirt in the process. And then took income with crew and colonist.

@Juan_Raigada let us know if you need info.

A screenshot of my new lay at with all my V cards flipped to the black side (including those in the Bernal) should be all I need To plan for the next three turns at least.

Oh, and the patent decks would help too.

Edit: I don’t need it after all. See below.

Ok, figured it out for now (That card reference document is a lifesaver):

Decomission the reactor in the Bernal (Bernal is no longer promoted).

ET produce that reactor into my rocket stack. It’s now a 4/2 rocket with no need of therms.

Net 1WT income op.

Next turn: decommission and ET produce the thruster in the rocket stack, making it a 5/1. And another income op (no event between now and then).

This should cover me for two turns, since I have 5 cards in hand and thus can’t participate in auctions.

Would anyone feel like giving a high level description of what you’re trying to achieve at the moment? This game looks both incredibly cool and entirely incomprehensible.

I think everybody is trying to work towards setting up a lab, which means industrializing a science site and bringing your Bernal there.

Labs gate some of the cooler hardware, and VP goals.

But to get a lab you either need a good setup (like @JoshL had) to maximize your chances to get a comet, or you need to gear up so your rocket is more efficient.

Myself, I industrialized Vesta to use it as a stepping stone towards my next goal (I have several cards I can build there to get an efficient enough rocket). I also like minimizing chance, so that’s another reason I went for a big site (automatic prospect).

The general theme is the industrial development of the solar system, where we are playing competing space programs racing for victory points.

The incomprehensible nature of it depends on how much you know or care about near future / theoretical space technology. All these patent cards with funny names are actual technologies someone has thought up or designed, though almost none have actually been built.

Overview of the game is that we collect patents (all the auctions we’ve been doing) in order to construct a rocket with all the various required parts. We are just now leaving the first phase of the game which is primarily auctions and card acquisitions. We are now in the race phase of the game where we’re trying to claim various asteroids.

With these claimed asteroids (comets, etc.) we can produce higher tech stuff from the flip sides of the cards we have. That level of tech will allow us to get to the outer solar system, which will be the next phase of the game.

All of this is in order to achieve certain victory goals on the cards for points. We get points for all of our claims, factories, but the game ends when 3 “future stars” have been collected. These are generally difficult and major projects, one of them is to ram a comet into the earth!

TLDR; fly rockets around, build factories amass points.

Bye, @Grunden, you can go if you do my turn as I specified above

Was planning on it once I drag my butt out of bed, coffee, etc.

Also I want to point out that, as with other Eklund games, it is much easier to play once you know the rules than to learn the rules themselves.

Ok, NASA log uploaded with the above moves. Playmat afterwards:

Note you didn’t say to decomission the radiator since you no longer need it. I imagine you’ll be doing that before taking off again.

So UN rocket coasts to next hohhman point:

Beginning a recruit operation on Heavy Water Survivalists

ESA: 0WT
PRC: 9WT
NASA: 5WT (Can’t bid)
UN: 6WT

Starting bidding at 0. @Matt_W is the only one who can bid.

I’ll bid 1

I’ll match of course.

And I pass:)

Ok, UN wins auction paying 1WT. Sunspot disk advances, no event.

For reference since we’re nearing blue phase:

@JoshL you’re up!

Tempting as it was to industrialize that comet, I just took 2 income ops for 3WT, so I can start using my colonist op again. I can’t come back here for 10 more years anyway :(

@Matt_W up. (vlog posted)