High Frontier 3rd Edition PBF/Vassal - Remember the Cant!

I switched to my crew thruster (for radiation protection) and flew to Lutetia, using Jupiter’s gravity to throw me back down the sun’s gravity well. Crew’s prospect roll 1 was a 5. Prospect roll 2 was… a 3. Whew! Colonist industrialized. (Forgot to move the marker on the tracker for M type factories.)

I’m leaving for Big Bear in about 10 minutes. We’ll see how my ability to play my turns goes. Enjoy your weekends gentlemen.

@Juan_Raigada

@Grunden, please, execute my turn:

Flip thruster to black side
Income op for net 1WT

I thought flybys only produced burns not thrust and thus cannot be used for landing.

You can’t enter a lander burn with flybys, but there’s no lander burn there and my crew thruster has plenty of thrust for that landing.

Oh, I missed you switching to your crew thruster, gotcha.

Right. Out there in the Ceres zone, with that heavy rocket, my thrust with the other thruster was 0. I had to afterburn to make though a burn last turn.

Yeah, I was worried you’d snake my prospect earlier, I’d neglected to notice you had your crew available for landings.

Ok, Juan’s turn updated as specified. Also record keeping:

• 2 WT to me for claim/industrialzation taxes
  • M site tracker update
  • VP tracker update for green & red.

Unsurprisingly my rocket coasts to Hygiea:

Where I prospect with a roll of 3 paying myself 1WT in taxes.

Sunspot disk advances. Event: Inspiration

For reference for our friends on the road:

PRC Playmat

NASA Playmat

Enjoy your time in the moutains Matt. Back to you @JoshL!

I industrialize the comet. UN gets 1 WT in taxes. I do a dry mass adjustment. Colonist takes income (net 1 WT).

Due to Calypso, I now have a lab. Unfortunately we never really figured out if Paleoconservatism means you have to have a lab to do research operations, or you have to do research ops at a lab. It makes a difference to me, since although my colonist is at the lab, they can’t do research ops (wrong icon).

My hand is too full to do one at the moment anyway.

vlog posted, @Matt_W up, although he’s, like, going outdoors and stuff. Weird.

BGG is undecided as well https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1782099/paleoconservatism

Personally I prefer the “have a lab” interpretation. Also M1 states that crew/colonists can perform all ops remotely every for those restoring ISRU on the crew/colonist card. It’s a crushingly powerful policy as it is, especially if it happens early.

I do think the at wording means you have to be there, as it’s consistent with certain futures´ wordings (do an Op at a Lab, meaning clearly the colonist doing the op is at the site).

But I don’t want to be too much of a dick here.

Third edition living rules spell it out:

I3.7 Paleoconservatism Policy (all players but white). If the Politics Disk (B19) is on the “Paleoconservatism” space, players other than the white player cannot perform Research operations unless they control at least one[am] Lab[an] (I13.1.1).

• All players may still take part in auctions, however.

Oh, and uh, my hand actually isn’t too full to do an auction. Forgot that rule already!

Ah, nice.

I concur with that ruling: controlling a lab is enough

I mean, it’s pretty hard to misinterpret.

Which means I might have to switch my policy.

Ok, after @Matt_W goes, somebody:

Decomission and free market the radiator in my Bernal.
Do and income op for 1WT.

Tomorrow night I will be able to take my turns normally again

Thanks everyone for interrupting your game to answer a very vague question.

I’ve been reading this thread while looking at the Kickstarter for v4

I look at the map and it’s fantastic and, clear to me - at least in principle - what it’s designed to do. I read the cards you’re posting screenshots of and get a general sense of what they’re for (and also really enjoy the content). What was least clear to me was what the actual game was.

I’m really close to backing the Kickstarter at this point.

Pros: fascinating design that hits the bullseye in terms of subject matter interest.

Cons: none of my other board games get played, why would this?

I’m also considering the v4 KS but my eyes just glaze over when trying to understand the rules. SpaceCorp 2025-2300 is probably more my speed at this point in my life. I too have more games than time.