High Frontier 3rd Edition PBF/Vassal - Remember the Cant!

Hm. But you’re not decommissioning a support of the robonaut. The Ericsson Engine doesn’t support the robonaut. At least, that’s how I’ve always played it, but you’re right that the text might be read differently.

Well, specifically “If both the robonaut and refinery need a generator decomissioning just one will power the resulting factory”. Why would they put that parenthetical in there otherwise?

If they both needed an “e” generator, you’d only have to decommission one “e” generator.

Right, but that’s just the normal rule for sharing supports with that interpration and wouldn’t need expanding. It also says “You only need to decomission one of each kind of support”.

Yeah, it does say that. So I guess I’ve always played it wrong? It seems weird though. Is there some thematic reason why the robonaut is non-functional for prospecting without a specific generator, but functional for industrializing without it?

I’ve always played it Josh’s way too. But I’m open to playing it however.

I really doesn’t affect me so I don’t have a strong opinion about that, it just seems that’s the way the rules are written, otherwise I would expect the rule to say ‘and all supports’ and leave it at that without the other language. I guess thematically they’re being merged into a one factory and share power.

I always played it so you need to demos soon legal supports, because otherwise it’s not a support.

Decommissioning only the e generator does not fulfill the requisite of decommissioning a refinery and robonaut and THEIR supports.

Yeah, the more I read it the more I think Grunden is right. It might be weirder if there were more than two kinds of generator (could you decommission one that supports neither?) or any refineries that required a reactor other than “any”. But there aren’t.

I’m open to whatever ruling we decide on

Yeah, again I’m fine either way I just can’t think of a reason for the “extra rules” without that interpretation. Again, maybe there’s a FAQ or BGG discussion about it somewhere. Too busy trying to plan burns to look for one at the moment.

Here’s a thread where someone asks this exact question, and then Phil answers a different question:

UN boosts refinery giving NASA their cut. Rocket formed (finally) along with 5WT of fuel.

After much number crunching involving giant rockets and mounds of fuel, UN decides to save cash and take a slow boat to the asteroid belt hohmann:

Event: Pad Explosion Space / Debris (jeez, like the 4th one of these). Doesn’t appear to hurt anyone.

Over to you @JoshL, we’re all very excited to see your turn!

Edit: I realize I neglected to set my thrust on my playmat if you could take care of that on your turn.

I think you also forgot to reduce your WT by the 5 you loaded on to your rocket, I’ll fix that too :)

Well we should formally vote on the rules question, since it affects Juan’s turn:

When industrializing, do we operated by shared support rules (i.e. supports and their supports must be decommissioned, but supports can be shared for this purpose) or by one-of-each-kind rules (only one generator, one reactor, etc)?

I vote for shared support rules.

Worth noting that the 4th edition rules eliminate the ambiguity:

This Operation allows you to build a Factory at a Site where you already have an unindustrialized Claim. Decommission an operational robonaut and refinery card, along with their required support chains (♢ J1c). This places a small cube on top of the Claim, and this combination is your new Factory. Performing this Operation is a Glitch Trigger.

1. ♢ Overlapping Support Chains. The cards that are Decommissioned can share a support (see ♢ J1b, ♢ J1c). Their Spectral Type is irrelevant.

I vote twitch the 4th edition rules too

Sure we’ll go with that.

Yeah sorry, i redid that turn about four or five times so I missed that step with this iteration.

My turn! I fly to Comet Wilson-Harrington, much to Matt’s relief, I’m sure. I spend one burn (2 fuel steps), and I pay 4 WT for Failure Is Not An Option to get through the hazard.

Then I do a prospect op. With my colonist I succeed on a 1 or 2, and with my buggy I get two tries.

First roll… a 2! Success! Claim disc placed, UN gets 1 WT.

Then I realize that I’m now broke and can’t do a 2nd op with my colonist. Oh well, I don’t want to go back once I’ve rolled the die.

Can’t believe that worked! Yay!

vlog posted, @Matt_W up.

Oh, and I guess my vote is irrelevant, so yay!

Isn’t that a red site?