High Frontier PBF/Vassal - Spaceward Ho!

Alright, so after some discussion in this thread, I think there’s enough interest to start a game. We will be playing using Vassal, with all communication in this thread.

How to set up Vassal:

1: Download version 3.2.15 from this site and install it.
2: Download the High Frontier module (2.7.0) as well as all 4 extensions from here, and put them in the Vassal modules folder.
3: Open Vassal and select Load Module from the file menu bar, then navigate to the High Frontier module and select it.
4: In Vassal, right-click the module and select add extension, then add the first of the 4 extensions you downloaded. Do this for all of the extensions.
5: That’s it, you can now play High Frontier in Vassal.

How to take your turn summary (shamelessly stolen/modified from this thread on BGG):

1 SUMMARY: On your turn (see below for more details)
1.1 Load and step through previous logfile (.vlog)
1.2 At prompt at end of logfile, select no and close the game
1.3 Re-open game and open save file (.vsav)
1.4 Start a new log
1.5 If doing research operation (auction), move card from patent deck to research op. card slot
1.5.1 Right click the pile from which you took the card and select shuffle
1.5.2 End logfile, put in dropbox
1.5.3 Post in this thread about auction
1.5.4 after auction, current player
1.5.4.1 Load and step through previous logfile (.vlog)
1.5.4.2 at prompt at end of logfile, start new logfile
1.5.4.3 give winner cards, adjust WTs
1.6 Post your movement at least up to the lagrange point containing a aerobreak/radiation/hazard before doing the roll*
1.7 do all die rolls using this website. You’ll need to register an account (free) and send me the registration email, after which I’ll add you to the game log. All dice rolls must include an explanation of why the roll was made.
1.7.1 after a die roll, NO alterations of parts of your turn before the die roll are possible unless a rules violation was made
1.8 update your VP table if necessary
1.9.1 advance turn tracker to the next year/player
1.9.2 if last player
1.9.2.1 update sunspot, use the website posted above to do the random event roll, then update the board as necessary
1.10.3 end log, then save the game, put both files in dropbox, post a description of your turn in this thread

*Note that you can move before, after or in between your operations as you choose (but you can’t do operations mid-move), and you don’t have to move your rocket, bernal and freighter all at once.

Rules:

Each player should aim to check this thread at least once a day, to participate in auctions and conduct diplomacy, if necessary. When your turn comes up, try to get it in reasonably fast to keep the game moving. We can of course take breaks on request.

All communication and diplomacy should be open, so no PM’ing.

We’ll use the latest version of the living rules (august 29 2014). It’s available from the Yahoo group, and will be in the dropbox folder.

Logfile format: We’ll be using the following naming convention for logfiles: L(year)(faction)-(part number). The part number is irrelevant if you’re able to your whole turn in one go (no auctions, elections and/or diplomacy). Example: PRC just did an action on his third turn, so he’s now doing the second part of his turn: L3PRC-2. If he had chosen to boost instead of an auction, he would have been able to do his whole turn in one go, so: L3PRC. The savegame format is the same, but without the L.

Auctions:
When any player initiates a Research Operation (an ‘auction’), all eligible (less than 4 cards, not including the Crew card) players may bid or pass as they see fit- no turn order is needed. Players are free to negotiate and to discuss an auction in any way they see fit. All auctions will run until all eligible players have bid/pass. If you initiate an auction on your turn, end the logfile after initiating the auction, then save the game, then post both files to the dropbox, then announce the auction in this thread (please mention the card(s) in question, including any support cards). After the auction has been resolved, re-open the savegame, give the card(s) to the winner and subtract the cost from his water supply, then complete your turn.

Movement:
Please show movement in vassal log as detailed as possible stopping at each hohmann and lagrange point along the way. You must include a description of your movement at least up to the lagrange point containing a aerobreak/radiation/hazard in the die roller log.

Operations:
Indicate which crew/colonist is making each operation.
Example: PRC crew does Research Operation

Inspiration/Auction/Recruitment
After drawing a card from any patent deck (or the colonist deck), or making an inspiration burn, be sure to right click that deck and select shuffle. This is to avoid peeking, but the downside is that you can no longer be sure that a given card will ever come up (although the more players we have, the less of an issue this is). An exception is the Exotropy event (because it’s hard to plan for) where you just select the exotropy button on the patent mat, then right click it and select exotropy.

Glory/ventures
Note that the glory and ventures track on the score board is wrong, so we’ll have to use the ones on the map board itself, and add those points manually at the end (so instead of one any site glory spot, there is one for any site in the jupiter zone and beyond and one in the uranus zone and beyond. Each glory disk is worth 2 points, each venture disk is worth 3).

Elections: Elections require blind bidding, which is a little fiddly. The vassal module has a built in feature that can be used for this, though. Click the notes button and choose the “delayed” tab. You can then write a hidden note with your bid (don’t include colonist votes), which comes with a time stamp, that can later be revealed. When initiating an election:
1 -The current player calls for an election and submits his turn with a hidden note. He/she also posts here about the election.
2 -Then, all players have 24h to PM the original player their bids. This doesn’t need turn order, and we can use the forum logs for proof if needed (I’m sure we are a trusty bunch, anyways). The original player’s bid is checked via the hidden message function as proposed, so no cheating either.
3- The player who called the election tallies the votes, and adjusts WT for all participating players.

Rejected idea

The player who rolled the event (in case of an election event), or the player who did activism operation does this before posting the file to the dropbox (the file name should be prefaced with “election”), and all players will then do the same in turn order. Once everyone has done so, we’ll have to go through one more round where everybody clicks reveal on their note. The current player then tallies the votes (including colonist votes), deduct WT from all participating players, and moves the political marker according to the wishes of the winner. Then he ends his turn. (if anyone has any ideas for a more convenient way of doing this, please let me know).

Game Specific Rules:

As a starting point, I imagine we’ll be playing the advanced game with all modules. If anyone has a suggestion for one or more house rules, post them here and we’ll take a vote when all suggestions have been made.

Accepted house rules:

Not accepted

1: I’d prefer to leave out the combat module, partly because I haven’t played with it before, so I’m not too familiar with the rules, but also because I don’t think this game was ever really meant to be about combat. If someone attempts a Footfall or New Venus future combat is back in from that point on.

2: I propose to leave out the glitch and pad explosion/space debris events. It’s true that those events add an extra dimension in terms of risk-taking and hand management, but it comes at a cost of a (potentially significantly) longer game, not to mention much gnashing of teeth. Solar flares and budget cuts are still in.

3: Instead of the bust rules from the manual, I suggest we bust Luna (4 players), Mars (3 players), Ceres (2 players). I think the rule about busting the subsurface ocean of Callisto is outdated, since it’s no longer a particularly attractive site.

4: I suggest that all players start with 12 WT and that we start the game with a faction auction, then move on to a round of Idea Turns as per section C1 of the rulebook. The starting player will be randomly determined.

Players:

1: UN - Grunden
2: NASA - Juan Ragaida
3: PRC - Sharaleo
4: Shimizu - Nikolaj
5: ESA - JoshL

Ok, maybe, can you tolerate a complete newbie stepping through his first game?

Sure thing. I was actually considering asking you to set up a dummy email address for the dice rolls. The only problem is that if we all have access we could just delete said email, right?

edit: You may want to try out a two-player solo game in preparation, just to get a sense of the rules. That’s what I’ve been doing for the last week or so, and it’s helped me get a good grasp on them (I think). If you have any questions, just ask them here, or in the other thread. If you PM me your email address, I’ll send you the latest version of the living rules. Or you could just sign up for the High Frontier Yahoo group, where the rules are hosted.

Coolio, sounds good!

You are right, I cannot set per user privileges on a shared mailbox, so that won’t work. But I might be able to do that with a discussion list, then each individual would only be deleting their copy of the die roll announcement, not the actual server side data, I guess. If you were to email say, dierolls @dominionsqt3 .com, then all subscribers would get the email, but nobody would have access to delete the message for everyone. Could work. I’ll have a test…

You can also email the living rules to sharaleo@ the above addy if you like! :)

Nikolaj neglected to add the download links to the OP, so:

Vassal Engine
High Frontier module

Alright, that sounds pretty good.

I’ll send you an email.

Sorry about that. We had a power outage in my building today, and my laptop was running low when typing that post, so I made a backup in txt file before it shut down. When I copied it the txt back into the post, after the power came back on, I must’ve forgotten to re-insert a couple of links. I’ve edited the original post with the links. :)

Ok, I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for setting this up.

I agree with all your house rule suggestions. However, if someone attempts the Footfall or New Venus futures, we will have to use the combat rules.

Good point. Should we introduce the combat rules if that happens, or just rule out those futures?

My preference would be to allow combat if it happens; but I could go either way.

Alright, let’s go with that, then. Unless someone else wants to take a vote?

How frequent are turns to be (how often would I have to open vassal on my computer?) I might be interested if it’s once or twice a week… I can check the forums/do auctions more than once daily…

Ok, so I have a discussion list working…but I have had to log a ticket with my provider to sort a little issue out, probably because I have no idea what I am doing! It does not stop the list from working, just an aesthetic issue with a subdomain appearing in a URL where it should not because it no longer exists).

Anyhoo, for those that are not aware, I run an email service for Dominions3 games played at QT3, see here - http://www.dominionsqt3.com/ Basically, anyone that plays Dominions here at QT3 has there own personal @dominionsqt3.com email address based on there handle here, which allows for easy, threaded communication between players without the need to clutter the PM system, nor the need to share personal email addresses.

I can create addresses for those playing this game of HF to use, or I can subscribe your personal email to the discussion list if you want to PM me the details (assuming you are the kind of person that finds multiple email management onerous). The email I set up is perfectly compatible with whatever mail clients you are using or is alternatively web accessible.

Essentially, this will allow anyone to post to dierolls @dominionsqt3 and have the whole group receive the info. As per the rules set above, in this case it would only really be for die rolls performed by the game admin. All other communication would be in thread.

I guess the advantage here is not having to sift through forum posts to find die roll results, they would all be in one place and it may make things easier for Nikolaj, depending on his workflow - whether this ends up being easier than the web based options listed above remains to be seen (though the public one listed seems to require a bunch if repetitive info to be re-entered every single time a roll occurs? I can see that being a pain).

So, it is available if we want to try it.

Wow, this is a thing. Fantastic!

I think we should expect the game to last for around 50 turns, with glitches and pad explosions out, so one turn a week would take around a year, while 2 turns a week would take half a year. I’d really prefer to aim for around 3 turns a week, which would take 4 months (plus a bit extra for the occasional break and such). If you expect your schedule to clear up in a month or so, I guess we could start slow (2 turns a week?) and then go a bit faster once you have more time. If people are okay with that?

It should be noted that actually taking your turn isn’t that much work, and planning it out probably takes longer. Unless you happen to be the last player, in which case there’s a bit of busywork involved with executing the events and updating the board (including die rolls and decommissioning all relevant cards in case of a solar flare). If you end up being the last player, we could have the first player do that instead until your schedule clears up, if everybody is okay with that.

I definitely think we should use this. However, just to be clear, there won’t be a game admin as such. All players are responsible for their own logistics, die rolls, etc., with the last player being responsible for event resolution. We would still use the site roller website, but using your list thingie we would only have to enter that one email address, and we would all get a copy of the die result, which would serve as documentation. As such, there wouldn’t be any need for each of us to actually check every email we get, because it’s just there to verify the result of the die roll, which would also be posted in this thread.

Might I make an alternate suggestion of the Hamete dice roller:

The important feature is that it keeps a dice log that all of the players subscribe to via an url. So we would simply need to post a result to the forum thread

Grunden: Roll for first draft pick (2d6) 2 + 1 = 3

And the shared log would keep a copy of all results, players, and reasons for the roll for any verification or questions. This should cut down on the email spam considerably and would allow us to keep discussion in the main thread.

Alright, that does seem much simpler, although it requires registration. Let’s go with that. I already opened a log, so everybody else would just have to register and send me their registration email. I’ll update the OP accordingly.

Sharaleo: How do I get web access to the dominionsqt3 email?

Players are welcome to send me their dice log and dropbox emails.

Details have been PM’d to you and Grunden. The other two already have them set up. Not sure we will end up using them, nor the discussion list, but it is all set up if we do.

Emailed! I assume you are just going to set up a shared folder?