Highfleet (Microprose!) has a super cool interface

What are you doing to me :O
I still have the first Independence War in my backlog…

Could those issues be fixed in an update?

I’m not doing anything…

Haha, brilliant. The antithesis to the mesmerizing (but equally infuriating) Lunar Flight.

If anyone was wondering about the graphics, I just found out you can turn dithering off, which makes a huge difference and removes the grainy filter.

Lunar Flight is a piece of piss once you get a feel for the normal flight envelope of the lander. It only gets stupidly hard when you compete in the leaderboards which forces you to do stuff like fly ballistically, like pitching forward and firing the main thruster to really fly across the map. :)

Why wouldnt you fly that way?!

Because death. Certain, instant death!

But so rewarding when you pull it once in a lifetime XD

http://www.microprose.com/downloads/manuals/highfleet/HF_user_manual_v06c.zip

Glorious manual. I have experienced more UI issues mainly with selecting my ships and refueling, I’m hoping the manual will help. The tutorial was nice up to a point but then you’re kind of left with a lot of unanswered questions.

The aesthetic of this game is extremely Wolfgang Petersen’s Dune.

Argh, this game is so up my alley and I want NewMicroProse to make lots of money so they’ll make things OldMicroProse did. But it sounds like the UX really needs some serious tweaking, so gonna let this sit on the wishlist and hope enough people buy it that they fine-tune the frustrating parts.

Am amazed at all the cool, experimental stuff they are lining up.

… Did you change your nick? I remember some other name paired with that avatar.

Wow, this was totally not what I was expecting. I’m very much down for a skeuomorphic lander game.

Regarding the RPS review
@TheWombat
Not all of them actually. Highfleet was covered before in a preview, then in another news, then now in a review, then again in another release news because one of the previous chaps wanted to object to the review himself. While Sin Vega said too in a tweet that it was her take, but that she could understand it would appeal to others differently. The whole coverage, an interesting diversity of takes on a game that is certainly controversial as to what kind it actually belongs to:

Kotaku also posted its review, which was written enthusiastically

Really, it’s all about the emotional link you develop with the game. By now though, there are so many ways to get acquainted with the contents, especially through what is posted on Youtube, or even the launch stream of the dev himself, that it has become easy to see if it appeals to you or not. It just so happens that if it doesn’t you will find the gameplay tedious quickly, but if it does, you will be unable to resist its charms. But hey, that sort of stuff doesn’t come up every day as of late, so I’ll call that refreshing to some extent ;)

Interesting variety, indeed. But the stuff that seems to be baked in to the game in terms of interface, and the actions you have to take and how you take them, makes me really want to wait on this one. It sounds like it would be utterly infuriating to play, as much as I like the art style and ideas in the game.

No widescreen (edit: ultra wide) support make this a pass for me, at least until it gets it.

By “widescreen” do people mean ultrawide? Surely the game supports 16:9.

Microprose bringing back old school gaming :)

4:3 support confirmed! ;)