Highkoontz

Single line Haiku. Keeps the poem unbroken. The way it should be.

One Liner Whiner, will you please shut the f*ck up? I’m gonna vomit.

If you want them to be really Japanese, shouldn’t they be written top-down and right to left? Let’s see you do that!

Tooth Fairy gathers
Easter Bunny brings baskets
Koontz analyzes

Cathcart, you are nuts. I can’t believe you did that. You need a hobby.

Nice try, SpoofyChop. You can’t demote me for that. Listen to Kitsune!

Yeah, just don’t go into the Tyjenks calculator thread… :oops:

1. There once was a man from Peru
    Whose limerick stopped at line two.

2. There once was a man from Verdun.

edit: I just read dirty limericks… none of this fancy schmancy stuff. I’m sure Kitsune can tell you that english haikus are bastard thing designed to make elementary school kids think that they’re writing somethign profound.

XPav, sorry, I really didn’t mean to be pretentious or demeaning, I just thought the whole situation was ironic. :oops: After all, if all I did was correct mistakes about Japan, I wouldn’t be able to do anything else on this board. :wink:

Heh, though its said that haikus have long been used for political propaganda in Japan. I can still remember some very famous ones I learned in my childhood about traffic and pedestrian safety if I think on it…

-Kitsune

Oh, I’m just repeating what I’ve heard other people say when talking about english haikus. I don’t know how accurate they are. :-)

Heh, though its said that haikus have long been used for political propaganda in Japan. I can still remember some very famous ones I learned in my childhood about traffic and pedestrian safety if I think on it…

Ahh so its like a jingle then.

Conjunction Junction, what your function?

Oh, okay then. Glad to hear I’m not coming off that way. :)

Yeah, I suppose a jingle would be a good way of thinking about it.

Though really the thing about haiku and waka and Japanese poetry in general is its visual flavor. I’m not a poetry expert, but what learns in school is that the crushing of the dye rock and mixing with water to create the dye, getting it the right consistency and then feeling the brush absorb the dye and touch the paper, as well as the expertness of your calligraphy (apparently the ideal is still “humanly off, therefore beautiful”) and the feel of the dye bleeding into the paper. Its alot like anime that way. Some Heian broad said that ink is intellectual blood a thousand and a few hundred years ago and its stuck ever since. Its supposed to be a bleeding together of the signified and the signifier in the words: your supposed to feel the natural imagery you describe if your words are apt enough, you’re supposed to get a connection between what they mean and what the actual things are. You know, Plato and all that. This is easier in Japanese because the words have got all sorts of picture-related meanings.

To make a long story short, the ideal hundreds of years ago was to kind of cursive write a haiku to your friends as responses in societal situations and your pen didn’t leave from the first word to the last of the haiku, the paper. So that’s where the whole “one line only” thing comes from. So everyone would be taught how to write poetry as a way of conversing with people in polite society and one needed the ability to come up with impromptu poems, and they were usually used for political or societal reasons. So haiku and other forms gradually morphed into just a tool, and since they’d always legions of very formulaic rules and formulas applied to them after centuries of thought, they gradually morphed into the present day of form of short bursts of words that are easily indentifiable at a distance or in the mind’s eye: hence stuff like traffic jingles. These days, its trendy to pick up the brush between letters, like in English plain handwriting (there were no commas or periods or question marks or quotation marks or any punctuation whatsoever in old Japanese).

So I guess it wouldn’t be really right to say they’re dumbed down or anything like that: they can’t get much dumber (okay, so some are really clever, I particularly remember one warning about not licking frozen poles in winter that somehow incorporated one’s ass sticking to a toilet) then the use they have these days over here anyways. Interestingly enough waka’s still enjoy much more respect for modern poets. Not sure why that is.

Boring Lecture of the Day: Over! It should be late in the US right now, huh? You can use this to get to sleep. :wink:

-Kitsune

See where you are mistaken, Kitsune, is in thinking that I called your Japan. I called the other Japan.

So ha.

(Hasn’t anybody noticed that I’m always talking outta my ass here? I can’t believe people are debunking me with actual facts. What a waste of time!)

:wink:

Rywill, you rock dude! Your posts made me laugh out loud. Oh, the irony!

They just look normal, but all your posts were haiku. How do you do that?

First I went, “Aw, shucks.” Then, “Wait–this is sarcastic.” But then I got it.

Rywill, I’m so glad. Now let’s forget the haiku, and talk like normal!

Fine with me, Jim. I hate haiku anyway. I’m happy to stop.

Huh, “Fine with me, Jim”…
Something’s wrong with that sentence. Doesn’t quite feel right.

My head is pounding. Please, please stop while you still can. Think of the children!

He meant Jimmy, Jim. Stop trying to ruin this. You snobby spoil sport.

I’m making no sense. I’m contradicting myself. Can’t you see that, guys?

And now, one that none of you will ever top, the ultimate haiku:

Bestiality / Abnormality, of your / Sexuality.

Thankyougoodnight!