Hillbilly Elegy on NetFlix

If Armando wrote a script about his life and a competent director turned it into a movie, people would no longer even care about Citizen Kane and whatnot.

I’m just hoping for a surprise post-credits scene involving squatting over a gravesite somewhere in Kentucky.

The work of foley artists truly goes unappreciated. The “fist in a bucket of oobleck” was inspired.

I grew up in a county in the bottom economic quintile among all Appalachian counties. I read the book, and in the individual details he wasn’t wrong. Given enough opportunity and given enough support you can move upward, but that usually means getting the fuck out of there and maybe coming back after you made good to try and help.

My main takeaway is how similar it all is to other impoverished communities whether by race or religion or location. People love their own people even when they recognize how screwed up they are. There’s a hard human emotion that protects those we know and love inside our brains, and the corollary of that is pushing against things that say otherwise even when we know they are right.

As for the movie I don’t care particularly, perhaps it will slide a bit of attention towards the impoverished rural communities. If you want a drier but much more in-depth source (plus shit-tons of practical knowledge) I highly recommend the Foxfire books.

I heard enough about the book that I didn’t ever care to read it, but a few hour Ron Howard movie will be about right treatment,

David French interviews Ron Howard and JD Vance:

Ron Howard slowly morphing into Tommy Lee Jones, I see.

If you gotta grow old, there are worse ways to do it.

Review Roundup

Dammit, for 5 seconds there I thought he actually said that.

I had exactly the same response.

God I always fall for Onion headlines before I notice the little green logo.

That one was an LOL for me.

I don’t doubt he did, just not publicly. ;)

John Boorman was able to.

I don’t know who that is, but I assume we’re talking about Winter’s Bone.

Your penance is ten Charms of Making.

Fucking hillbillies.

John “I’m a piece of shit” Voight.

J-o-n is the actor.

J-o-H-n is the guy who owned George Constanza’s LeBaron before him.