Hinterland: The yes its out thread

Yep. Every game there is access to different things and the game depends on how you manage what you are given. It is about adapting. The scarcity of resources is definitely different and certainly separates it from a Diablo-esque game. Those coming in expecting to operate like they would in a hack-n-slash title will have trouble initially. You have to be much more mindful of things.

NOTE: If you see the poionous spiders, be very wary. A couple of those with added poison damage can knock you smooth the fuck out. With mobs in general, it is sometimes best to edge into range so that you pull only one or two at a time.

SPACE BAR to PAUSE!!!: If a fight is getting hectic, feel free to pause to assess the situation. You can drink potions, change equipment and send a party member home all from a paused state.

My impression after about a half hour of play is that it’s an enjoyable little game. I haven’t really had any problems so far, except that my guy is a bit shit at fighting. I don’t take people out into the wilderness with me (yet), and I’ve got no problems with food. Not got many resources yet. Except souls…

All of our drooling over it for months did not help with expectations. I tried to hit reset and come into the game and take it as it came. If you do that and take it for what it is, it is great fun and insanely addiciting. No, it is not the deep city-building/strategy/RPG that we may have built up in ouor minds, but for a 20 dollar game made in the time it was, I think it easily does everything TM set out to do and focuses on ‘teh Fun’ rather than some of the other features which it certainly lacks.

Lack of manual is a little disappointing.

The need to loot every corpse individually is something every game like this should avoid - there’s no reason to put something like this in a game when better mechanics have come to be.

Otherwise I’m intrigued. It has a little bit of Stronghold (old school, mind) to it.

I’m going to have to try it on normal with the game length set to long but I’m willing to say its fun, but for me personally so far Dwarf Fortress with a good tileset is funner. But thats because I prefer growing my community more than fighting.

The interface is a bit wonky but was easy enough to figure out once I puzzled out double clicking on villager portraits. Liking the game quite a bit after an hour of play. It’s not super deep from what I can tell but after an hour I can see myself playing several games of it. I am completely in love with the underlying concept, though several orders of magnitude more complexity would not go amiss. See: Dwarf Fortress.

I wouldn’t get too down on the game putting you in situations were a restart would better serve you. From what I can tell it’s meant to encourage replayability with shorter game sessions, so a restart isn’t near the punishment it is with most games.

Also it’s another example of Steam’s broken vista support. I had to launch it with steam having administrator permissions, otherwise it would just never show a window and run as a background process indefinitely.

I just finished a short game on easy. It’s fun. With those settings I breezed through the game in about an hour and felt like I was just getting to the ‘cool stuff’ when it ended. I’m going to start a long game on difficult now.

Completely agree. Dwarf Fortress should be my favourite game of all time. But I just can’t get to grips with the ASCII.

I’m guessing that Tilted Mill at some point made a conscious decision to try and keep it reasonably light, rather than going down that route, which is fair enough - I guess there is not a huge audience for that style of game.

I’m looking forward to getting a better run at it tomorrow.

I hope you’re talking about this:

Utterly fantastic game!

Hey all,

We’ve added a manual to the official site (PDF version coming soon!)

Awesome. Thanks for the update guys.

Oooh, Sweet!

I nearly always start off playing games on some average/normal difficulty. In Hinterland, however, starting off on easy gets you going with stuff and warms you up to features. Hour or hour and a half for a few short games on easy and you should be ready to go. Medium-sized games lets you play for longer and you start having different options open up with regards to visitors and the upgrading of their buildings.

I’m astonished at how badly documented and explained this is.

Wow, it’s funny. This game is exactly what I thought it would be. And I love what I see so far.

First question though, regarding food:

Should I just keep advertising until I get some food producers initially to get into my town?

Advestising costs gold (2 per slot I think) and you’ll need some gold to build the homes for the food producers. So you may want to wait and take out some level 1 sites and get some more loot and gold before going ad crazy. You can also talk to (click on) the visitors and kick them out for free so new visitors can show up sooner.

Just got it! I like how quick you can have game just gone gold with steam.

Played a bit, can’t really say anything yet. Time to sleep for a while now, but eager to return to my little community tomorrow!

I agree, I just finished a game on medium/medium. Here are some questions and concerns I have.

1. What does each spell caster do as their attack? Such as the difference between a high priest and a light priest.

2. Prayers that are researched, if it doesn’t say specifically, do they work all over the map?

3. I wish that on the minimap it will show the corpses of your followers to let you find them easier to loot their bodies.

4.Starting a game on difficult, I was not offered any food producers, there should be some kind of safe guard put in place so that you will always be offered a food producer from the start. edit: Didn’t know you could kick out visitors without a penality so never mind about this one then.

1. Do support spell casters level at all? It doesn’t seem right that they’re not getting any exp for keeping my guys alive.

2. What is the difference between random resources and all resources?

3. When villagers are creating something (bows, potions, shields, etc) I would like to be able to mouse over the item to see what it does. Also I would like to tell them specifically what to make.

4. What does the blessed icon mean over my character?

5. Lastly I would like more information regarding enhancement items (plows, maps, traps, etc). Such as the difference between using a map on a hunter, and using a snare.

Other then that list I like HinterLand, only suggestions I would have for expansions would be more follower types, perhaps unique events that could happen, and maybe being able to choose theme lands (undead world, fire world, etc)

Yes, very much so. Noit the RTS like game.

It’s what comes to mind with the building of structures and whatnot. Granted, in strong hold you never controlled a central character and sometimes it was unpossible to get all the little AI creatures to do what you wanted them to do (hey, like Majesty. . . ).

Reed, thanks for the manual link! Now, how about some rapid-looting facilitation. ;)

Oh man would I love a direct sequel to that game… I think I’ve logged almost as many hours on Stronghold as I have on X-Com.

Never even heard of D&D Stronghold. Sounds awesome. Curse you Apple from keeping me away from PC Gaming during the 80’s and 90’s!

Having some minor visual problems now. The minimap started only displaying the top half, some of the job icons are overly large on the followers screen obscuring their level, and in the town overview the top corner is mostly obscured, as if it’s not zoomed out far enough or centered incorrectly. Nothing game breaking, and the more I play the more I am liking it.

Just got two followers perma killed, including a healer I was starting to love. Didn’t even know that was possible. New stuff is constantly showing up, including a guy who it’s later claimed can build ballistas? Awesome. Some raiders also showed up while I was out adventuring and I heard a bunch of coin sounds, which was them stealing food and gold. I managed to catch up with them outside of town while they were fleeing, from what I could tell they had all the missing items which I was able to recover. Very nice.

Is “misc inventory” the same as “town inventory”? I’ve been dumping my town helping items into the town inventory, assuming it was. Am I supposed to be doing something else with them, like assigning them to the workers/buildings they benefit?