His Dark Materials BBC series, based on the Philip Pullman books

Casting is in:

James McAvoy and Lin-Manuel Miranda - what’s not to like? Sam Elliott was perfect in the thoroughly flawed movie and owns the role of Lee Scoresby, but I think this will be good.

In February 2018 the BBC reported that casting was almost complete and that shooting was shortly to begin in both Wales and the Arctic, where some establishing shots will be filmed. On 27 July they confirmed that shooting was underway.

Aha, I did not see it until now.

Worldwide rights go to HBO.

Teaser

Great cast. And it’s nice to see Daphne Keen getting more work.

Not a single supernatural element shown in a trailer for a very supernatural series. Interesting choice. Or maybe they just don’t have any finished effects shots yet.

I’m trying to remember: the supernatural elements tend to come later in the series, don’t they. The first book is more “mystery/dangerous” stuff. Its the second, and especially the third books, that really lay on the supernatural/religious/anti-religious material.

Certainly some heavy CG/fantasy stuff later in the first book, though.

They’re still shooting the season; this doesn’t premiere until much later this year. Nowhere near post-production yet.

Uh, the dæmons? Pretty front and center from the get-go.

Thats looks excellent.

Agreed.

That looks fantastic.

If this is as good as it looks, I think HBO may have found their inheritor to Game of Thrones.

Excellent cast, btw.

I believe this will wash the taste of that awful Mortal Engines movie out of my mouth, if it ends up being half as good as it looks.

it looks…ok, but to me, it looks just like the movie. If the movie didnt exist then sure but… it does. I’m not sure this is really needed. I’ll start watching it anyway as my wife is a fan but I feel like ive been here before, and quite recently.

I like what I see from the trailer and the casting looks solid.

As for the movie, I treat it the same way I do the Dune movie, neither ever existed.