Hitman III - Hat trick of Death

By the time Hitman 3 arrives on Steam, I’ll have hopefully finished Hitman 2.

:D

That’s not how I read it at all. Here’s the official post:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-pre-launch-guide/

The carryover process requires an IOI Account and can only be done through a web browser, it’s not possible to do it in-game. We will have the website ready to go before launch, but it is not live yet. Once it is ready, we will share the news via ioi.dk and update this post.

Here’s more about how it will work:

– Progression can only be carried over from HITMAN 2, including progression you have from the Legacy Pack (HITMAN 1 locations within HITMAN 2).

– Progression can only be carried over from within the same platform. There are only three options:

HITMAN 2 (PlayStation) → HITMAN 3 (PlayStation)
HITMAN 2 (Xbox) → HITMAN 3 (Xbox)
HITMAN 2 (PC/Steam) → HITMAN 3 (PC/Epic)

Note: “PlayStation” = PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5.
“Xbox” = Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.

Essentially, it doesn’t matter what specific console you have earned progression on. It only matters that progression can only move forward and within the same console ‘family’.

– Progression carryover is a one-time process, meaning once you have performed a carryover for a particular platform, you will not be able to do so again at a later time.

– If you have played HITMAN 2 on multiple platforms, you CAN perform a carryover for EACH of those profiles, but only within the same platform, as listed above. For example, if you play H2 on Xbox and PlayStation, you can carryover your H2 Xbox progression into H3 Xbox and independently carryover your H2 PlayStation progress into H3 PlayStation.

– When you complete the carryover process, your existing HITMAN 2 progress will remain as it is (i.e it will not be removed/deleted). However, your progression in H2 and H3 will NOT be synchronised.

– If you have already started playing HITMAN 3 and THEN choose to perform the progression carryover process, you will lose all progression earned within HITMAN 3 up to that point. We recommend you carryover progress before starting HITMAN 3.

Looks like you’ll have access to all the Hitman 1 content without buying Hitman 2 content. Hitman 2 content will be 80% off.

HITMAN 3 Access Pass on PC
We’ve done everything possible to make this process smooth and player-friendly. However, due to various circumstances out of our control, we want to acknowledge that the process is different to our initial plans for PC players. We also want to share some of the initiatives we’ve set-up to make sure that PC players the chance to keep enjoying the benefits of the World of Assassination.

The HITMAN 1 GOTY Access Pass will be available to claim in the first 10 days after launch for anyone who purchases (or has pre-ordered) any edition of HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store.

Owners of HITMAN 1 on EGS (including all players who claimed it when it was available for free in August) will get a free upgrade to the HITMAN 1 GOTY Access Pass at any time after purchasing HITMAN 3.

The HITMAN 2 Standard Access Pass and HITMAN 2 Gold Access Pass will be 80% off for 14 days after the launch of HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store and will continue to be discounted regularly.

Our hope is that these initiatives help to ensure all HITMAN 3 PC players can able to enjoy the new game with full access to HITMAN 1 and their progression carried over as a minimum.

And if you already own Hitman 2 on Steam, you can carry your progression over to Epic using IOI’s website tool (which isn’t up yet.) I’m actually considering buying H3 and H2 on Epic even though I own H2 and H1 (and all add-ons) on PS4.

Ah, no. Now that I read it again, I see that’s not true. Your progression will carry over, but you do indeed have to rebuy H2 to bring your levels over. That does indeed suck.

Yeah. To be able to play those missions in H3, on Epic, you gotta rebuy them.

I’ve started a Patient Gamers thread (awesome subreddit, btw) about playing H1 & H2 until H3 is on Steam.

Yeah. No thanks. I was leaning towards waiting for the Steam version just out of the pure convenience of already having both previous games there already. This latest news cements that.

Plus, by the time it comes over, it will be discounted! Win win.

Well, time to wait.

That’s… a pretty convoluted process. Link accounts before starting H3, got it.

Lol, the Hitman Forum boards are losing their minds over this on PC.

Ehh, for the first weeks after release, they’re giving away the H1 DLC for free and the H2 DLC at 80% off. So what, that’s like 5-10 bucks extra to have both? And you can keep your unlocks either way.

I dunno, consoles games are always more expensive for no good reason and you get free stuff constantly on PC too. That’s like the only time a PC gamer will have to pay a bit more and they still come out way on top in the grand scheme of things.

Hmmm, so IO gets a money hat from Epic for exclusivity then requires players to repurchase content they already own. Shareholders must be happy.

I was a little disappointed that I hadn’t gotten through all of Hitman 1/2 content I’d bought because I figured I’d be tempted by the lure of the Hitman 3 upgrade. Now it looks like I’ll have plenty of time to definitely not buy Hitman 3 until I’m sure I’ve finished all the prior content.

I thought it was a bit dodgy when I got a popup from the Epic Store saying I could get the H1 Access Pass for free with a preorder. In my head that already had a value of $0 twice over (since I both bought it and it was given away as a weekly freebie), but they’ve outdone themselves by making the loyalty incentives negative dollars with that suspiciously indeterminate 80% off. If I were the wagering type I’d be betting the discount is 80% off the Hitman 2 Gold MSRP of $100 lol - I definitely noticed that the official price for Hitman 1 GOTY on Epic is $60. The world of assassination is a cute idea, but personally it hasn’t been much more than the old levels were ported over. Are there even any new mechanics this time around? For some reason this time around the big feature I heard about was … reflections? And a … camera?

I’m thinking someone noticed that Hitman 2 Gold’s going rate during the winter sale was about $12 and had a brilliant idea of how to make the Hitman 1 and 2 prices go up again. I’ve also revised my internal theory that the James Bond game might be part of the “World of Assasination” from wishful thinking to hahahaha-no.

Look at that, Hitman III just got delayed a year.

Absolutely. I am so pissed.

I didn’t want to split this series between Steam and EGS anyway, but I am still surprised they decided to do it this way. I have the Collector’s edition of Hitman 2 which includes the gold version for steam…having to rebuy, even at discount, simply because they chose to go with EGS exclusively…yeah, no.

The real kick to the dick and the balls here is you can only import unlocks from Hitman 2. Essentially the message is: Please re-purchase Hitman 2 (and DLC?) on the Epic Store in order to be able to transfer your unlocks to Hitman III.

On the upside, I think that Steam Hitman 2 progression will import via the IO account, if only because Hitman 2 isn’t on the Epic Store. Folks are saying that if you own Hitman 1 only on Steam this means you’ll need to download and import into the freebie Hitman 2 Starter Edition. OH WAIT does this mean your progression is b0rked if you’re for some reason using the freebie Hitman Season 1 on Epic?! It would be a hilarious triple slap in the face if you had to import Hitman Season 1 progression on Epic by running Hitman 2 Starter on Steam before starting Hitman 3… (EDIT TurinTur remembered that Hitman 1 progression doesn’t carry over to Hitman 2 so maybe they dodged that bullet?)

Actually, the lack of Hitman 2 on Epic might be why the unlock stuff is a mess - maybe their agreement with Epic included Hitman Season 2 but they’re so far behind on Hitman 3 that they’ve given up/missed that target. Would fit with why they also can’t do preloads of the PC version. Maybe the effort of the port vs sales of Hitman Season 1 on Epic made them realise it might not be worthwhile to put in the effort to do Season 2.

Hitman 2 didn’t import the unlocks from Hitman 1, so I am not surprised Hitman 3 doesn’t either.

Right, but on the contrary Hitman 3 does, and don’t ignore the whole new scenario here.

Hitman III is exclusive to Epic store. You need Hitman 2 on the Epic store in order to import your junk to Hitman 3. (because fuck Steam)

The free Hitman 1 platitudes by Epic is…useless in terms of importing your shit to Hitman 3.0.

The point is, Hitman THREE does support importing your unlocks, just in a limited bullshit way.

That seems impossible to believe. They’ve already done whatever integration works needs to be done for two other games on the exact same engine, and now they’re instead doing extra work to make this “access pass” concept work.

They clearly knew exactly how this news would be received. (Announcing this on a Friday evening? Classic). Given this is contrary to what they’d said before about being able to import your levels from Steam, it seems more likely that this is some kind of a commercial problem. Either Valve is making it hard for them to do this (unlikely, given similar things have been possible before) or Warner isn’t playing ball (seems plausible, given they have no financial interest in Hitman 3, and thus only care about maximizing the Hitman 2 revenue).

The unlocking is done though a web server they created that registers progression, there’s no special loading of the older saves: one game tells the server “this is unlocked”, the other is receives the information by the server.
I guess on consoles, exclusivity contract language prevents unlocking though games on other platforms to avoid money spent outside the ecosystem; on the PC… who knows, but someone’s greedy.