Hitman III - Hat trick of Death

It seems I own Hitman and played it for 77 minutes, and I own Hitman II and … have never played it? I don’t have any time played or last time played. I could have sworn I played this but I must be thinking of the first game (played in 2017). That’s wild. I am super interested in the idea of this game but for some reason have never been able to get in. Should I pick up Hitman 3 and see if I can finally get into this, or stick with maybe launching Hitman 2?

It’s weird how much younger/smoother 47’s face looks in Hitman 3 compared to 2.

There are potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay in Hitman 1 and 2. I’d fire those up and dig in. If you like, then get Hitman 3 later when the price drops.

This new Hitman series remains one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. I think what’s hard about it is that it’s a weird kind of sandbox. You have objectives, but they’re layered on top of each other: multiple objectives for different ways to kill your targets, for instance. I really enjoy the Escalations for how they force you to really learn a section of a level, and do so in an organic way.

I never played any of the Hitman games, but fell into the hype for 3, along w/ getting some strong endorsements for the series. I own Hitman 1 for free from the Epic giveaway a while back, and found Hitman 2 Gold (Steam) on sale at cdkeys for under $10 bucks. I’ve only played the Hitman 1 training mission (and 2nd play through via alternative methods) and I can already tell this should be fantastic.

I guess the question is, can I unlock the Epic Store Hitman 1 levels in Steam Hitman 2, in order to play w/ any engine enhancements, or is that part of the waiting game we’re playing w/ IOI?

You should play Hitman 1 or 2, first. Same experience than this game will offer, really.

Wait, really? I haven’t followed any of the press stuff about this, but is Hitman 3 really just more levels with the same gameplay as Hitmen 1 and 2? No new meta-progression or gameplay elements or campaign structure or anything?

-Tom

I was talking in general terms. I’m sure there will be a pair of new tools (one it’s a hacking camera thingie) and some new trick the AI can do, but Hitman 2 was already pretty much like Hitman 1 except with a multiplayer mode no one played, and I have no reason to believe Hitman 3 will be different. At least I haven’t heard anything bold and innovative as part of their marketing.
I was actually expecting having a 2 player coop, as the plot allows for it, and they have the mp system half done from H2, but nope.
I’m not saying it as it’s something bad. There is usually ‘new’ stuff in these games is usually is bespoke, handcrafted stuff, that are part of the levels, and not ‘systemic’ stuff.

The rest of the meta-progression is mainly unlocking new starting situations, some new weapons to start with, a couple spots to stash gear in the level…I think that’s it? The rest is cosmetic stuff like suits to wear and skins for the weapons. I’m wondering if I missed a bunch of new features or if that’s it…
Oh, they showed unlocking a ladder that they said would be persistent across runs so you can permanently unlock new routes/shortcuts.

Yeah, it’s going to be basically more of the same, not that it’s such a bad thing.

It’s like one huge game that’s gotten expansion packs and tweaks for five years.

I dislike how young they are making 47 in general. He looked the best in Absolution, should have just kept that.

I find amusing how they tweak and retweak his face in every entry, despite being all versions of the same bald guy that everyone recognizes at this point. Slightly more pointy chin in this game, slightly less pointy in this other one, slightly older in this one, slightly younger in the next.

I like Blood Money the best. Hitman 2 was a definite improvement over the 2016 Hitman.

Reviews are positive:

It sounds great! But is it great enough to buy on Epic? I know it’s petty, but having Steam achievements for this game is a definite plus for me.

Any PS4 reviews?

So what’s the current situation with this? If I buy Hitman 3 on the Epic Games Store, and I own all the Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 content on Steam, I can import all the content into my copy of Hitman 3, right?

-Tom

Ooh boy, this is not easy to explain. Even if you own the games, the only things you can do at the moment on PC is transfer over your progress (e.g. mission stats and unlocks). Purchasing Hitman 3 on EGS will give you access to the first set of missions from 2016, so you can play through those but not the sequel content unless you want to buy them again on EGS right now. Owners of Hitman 2 won’t be able to play the missions for at least a couple of weeks even if you already linked your accounts.

The current steps to transfer your progress requires you have an IO account. First you need to start Hitman 3 and login to that IO account. Then you’ll get an option to carry over you progress which will take you to here (warning the website’s getting hammered): https://profile.hitman.com/carryover

From here, you need to login with your EGS account to link it. Then it should be synced up and you can just follow the steps to transfer over the progress. According to IO, in a couple of weeks Hitman 2 will unlock for Steam owners. This whole process really sucks!

I’m not really interested with whether progress is unlocked. I’m just curious whether content is transferred. And it sounds like the answer is no, but Io is supposedly going to change that in the future.

So, no point buying Hitman 3 today if you already have it on Steam and want all your Hitman stuff in one place? Nice work, Io.

-Tom

It’s so annoying. I’ve unlocked a bunch of achievements for Hitman 2 in Hitman 3, but all the missions are greyed out and unplayable (it just takes you directly to the Hitman 2 EGS store page). Just wait and avoid the hassle.