Hobbit-Sized Human Species

And now for something truly strange–care of the Los Angeles Times

Isn’t it possible they found skulls of children?

etc

Well there goes this guy’s career. Maybe you should email him Mtkafka… be gentle when you break the news to him.

Childrens’ skulls aren’t fully fused, you can tell.

I think. Don’t quote me.

I’m just saying… its just that they find a few skulls and then INDONESIAN HOBBITSSES!!!

Probably just some pygmies.

etc

One huge way to tell adult from child skulls is the dental structure. Not only how the fusing is (as Mike pointed out) but also how worn the teeth are from years of use, same with the jawbone, etc.

The skeletons also have significant differences from modern pygmies, from what I’ve heard. On the other hand, they’ve been found in mud and dirt as recent as 13,000 years old. This of course brings up its own mysteries.

13,000 year old mud?

Stop the presses!

Heheheh. :P

Well it is a big deal. Previously, it was thought that only Neanderthals lived “alongside” modern humans. If the findings in Indonesia pan out as expected, that theory is gone. Bye bye.

What hobbit Indonesians (and Neaderthals) say, basically, was that we were all along the path to speciation when advancing civilization worldwide put a stop to it. So much for the politically correct diaspora theories.

I knew it! I knew Lord of the Rings was real! And people tried to tell me it was just fantasy. Yeah, right! Eat that, losers! Hobbits are real! Now if they just find an elf skeleton, and, like, some bones from a Nazgul, then the whole thing will be seriously irrefutable.

In your face!!

This confirms what shift6 said.

What I want to know is: how is it possible that we never found fossils of this species before?

Bye,
Steven

We didn’t look where they were buried.

According to one of the scientists interviewed on BBC radio this morning, it was also the teeth that helped identify the skeletons as human, apes including chimpanzees have large canine teeth, but these skeletons have human sized canines.

They were also positing the idea that some of these creatures may be still alive in some inaccessible southeast Asian rain forest, but that sounded a bit fantastical to me.

Doesn’t Tolkien mention Hobbits having an ability to disappear swiftly and silently? I’m with Green on this. Next time I’m in Maine I’m going looking for Ents.

Quite the opposite. This find shows that “the politically correct diaspora” Homo displaced (that is, wiped-out) other hominid species wherever they found them.

There were several distinct species that descended from Homo erectus, but only one survived.

The theory would still exist. At this point, there’s no proof that this species interacted with Homo Erectus or Neanderthals. Only that they existed at the same time in different parts of the world.

Quite the opposite. This find shows that “the politically correct diaspora” Homo displaced (that is, wiped-out) other hominid species wherever they found them.

There were several distinct species that descended from Homo erectus, but only one survived.[/quote]
Or that they interbred to form Home Sapien.

Homo erectus died out about 300,000 years ago. This species (or at least this sample) seems to have existed about the same time that American Indians settled North America and Druids were carving mass stone artifacts in Europe. I’d call that a significant difference in time, and I’d say if the 13,000 year age is correct then it is extremely likely they interacted with Homo sapiens. Further, the NPR article that I was listening to mentioned that native people of those islands currently have oral traditions (stories) about “the little people”. That’s saying even more about their probable interaction in history, if true.

That would suck for evolution. The presumed inability to interbreed is why we call them a different species in the first place.

If they have oral stories about the little people, that makes me think that the hobbits may have survived beyond 13,000 years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if they find skeletons as little as 4000-5000 years old.

That writeup was funny, too. The writer was really working hard to make a Middle-Earth comparison.

Well, dogs can interbreed and there are wide and varying shapes and sizes for them. But, I don’t know nothing about evolution and all that.