Hockey!

Assists are NOT like batting average in baseball without having them batted in. Assists directly translate into goals. When there’s an assist, there’s a goal scored somewhere. And when there’s goals, there’s wins, of course. Some guys just excel at setting other guys up for scoring the goals and I don’t think they are any less valuable for it. edit: Well only slightly less valuable, you still need to pair them up with someone who can put the puck in the net.

Thornton’s biggest problem, as you mentioned, is that he doesn’t show up in the playoffs for whatever reason.

I think part of the problem is they count too far back on assists. Personally, I think the assist should only be given to the guy that got the scorer the puck, not two people back from the goal.

“If it continues like that and we continue to use it, we can use that to help us. That’s the non-skill area of the game, the block-and-tackle part of the game where we have a chance.”

He’s basically admitting the team sucks at playing hockey.

I was a Bruins fan until they traded Thornton. The team broke my heart that day. You can say all you want about how he choked in the playoffs and wasn’t a good fit or whatever, but he put people in the seats and was great to watch. There were more Habs fans in the Garden this week than Bruins fans, and that should say something to the inept front office.

I really think the Patriots did a good thing for sports in Boston by setting the bar high. The Sox and the Celts are realizing that a good team = financial success. Why can’t the Bruins figure this out?

As a Bruins fan I’m proud of the way this young team has been playing. Seeing the team fight like this even makes losing to the Habs bearable. Loving these hard hitting, physical games.

A lot of potential for next season, with a better offense.

Well, first you gotta get the good players to want to come, and that’s not easy to do. I’m no fan of the Jacobs and think their decision to gut the team was incredibly stupid, but I think the GM has done a good job of getting people that fit together well.

As a Leafs and Pens fan I’d just like to say: “HAHAHAHAHAAHAHaha, so awesome.” I really hope that the series ends tonight but Ottawa probably has enough pride to put in a decent effort. I’m expecting a goalie change, too.

I’m a Caps fan. Boo Philly.

Also go AVS.

Well, goodbye, Senators, the only team not to win a single game in the 2008 playoffs…

And goodbye Wade Redden, you’d think. Why didn’t they keep Chara instead?

Good work, Pittsburgh. Especially Marc-Andre Fleury, who I expected for years would be a washout, but now he’s a superb goalie. Go figure.

I was really worried about how Fleury would do when he came back from his ankle injury. I figured he’d be shaky-but-okay and the Pens would lean on Conklin for the playoffs. Never figured he’d end up so unbeatable and Conklin would just end up watching.

That disallowed goal must have been a heartbreaker for the Ottawa fans, though. Legit call, I think, but ouch.

And yeah, I cannot for the life of me think of a good reason to keep Redden instead of Chara.

The only thing I can think of is he’s a Canadian Olympian.

Lets go Preds! Gotta love Detroit’s now-annual early round collapses.

Didn’t they collapse in the conference final last year?

They collapsed in the 2nd round, if I remember correctly.

edit: I don’t remember correctly. They did lose in the Western Finals.

Nope. Lost in six to the Ducks in the conference final.

Yay Pens!

It’s enough to make you wish Ottawa had done worse in the regular season. If you’re going to make the playoffs, at least put some effort into winning a game or two!

That sort of uninspired play gets you no rewards, just an early exit. If they’d not jumped out to a strong start, and sucked just a little more, maybe they’d have had a shot at a higher draft choice.

I can’t believe I had an exam during the Pens triumph! At least I caught the highlights when I got back to res. Everyone here either cheers for Detroit or Ottawa so I got a lot of dirty looks walking around in my jersey. Good times. I really hope the Flames make it to the next round, too.

I’m rooting for the Colorado Avalanche, but the Wild are putting up a good fight. Most games have gone into OT, and they are tied 2 to 2. Having Forsberg back has certainly helped.

I love seeing Forsberg back on the ice, doing his thing. Magical passer, that guy.

Bah, I hope the Avalanche rolls down a mountain.

— Alan