Hogwarts Legacy - WB makes a full AAA RPG for Harry Potter

Some people are in “bitch eating crackers mode” on anything to do with this game due to their animosity towards Rowling. I highly doubt the devs were making a secret dig at trans folks by naming the character Sirona, but at this point there’s no way to get them to yield even an inch of ground.

Well my daughter got all A’s again (can’t be my kid!) and has an Xbox. We both want to play at the same time so screw it. She will play on the Series X and me the PS5. So we’re about to time travel and spend way too much on a single game. ;)

I just read a czech review where the woman in question played 60 hours of the game and did all quests and sidequests. She is a huge Potterhead who grew up on the books and did cosplay for them. She gave it 7/10.

Some take aways:

• the story is apparently much poorer than the books, the main protagonist is the Mary Suest of the Mary Sues, instantly great at everything, helping everyone

• it is RPG in marketing only, there are no meaningful choices that would affect anything serious

• The best questline in the game is both preorder bonus AND Playstation exclusive at that!

• despite the flaws, she overall enjoyed it

Seriously doubt it, it’s all performative.

I want to check more on the PC issues, as one thing that kills my interest in a game is poor performance. I’m not talking about “oh noes my framerate dropped below 60 fps once” type things, but the freaking out trees and hitching and whatever people have mentioned gives me the willies.

Invoking BEC made me laugh, and I suppose you’re quite right there.

We played up until the title screen as it’s not fully installed. The art style and controls are certainly on point. We made a ridiculous character that we are just playing to test the game out. Full install will finish in 20 minutes. I haven’t been this hyped for a game since Red Dead so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

Reviews read like: ‘Clunky inventory, not actually an RPG, bad story, spell selection sucks, the good stuff is PS5 only, but I love Harry Potter…9/10’

Come on.

Gotta love getting stream bombed with user names consisting of a character’s name and the fate of the character all at once

I have no idea what that said, but you’re right! I should give up playing games.

The reviews I read (or watched) — PCGamesN, ACG — sounded nothing like that. If anything, it was the opposite.

It’s weird to see issues with a PC port. It was understandable back in the day when you had completely different architectures at work in the PS1, PS2, and PS3, and even the Xbox 360 went with PowerPC. But PlayStation and Xbox have been x86/x64 platforms for a decade now.

And presumably, dev was done on PC.

So what’s the deal with this exclusive mission on the PS5 that’s apparently the best mission? Is it one of those Call of Duty deals where it’s exclusive to the Playstation for a year, then it comes to the PC and Xbox versions?

Edit: Looks like a 1 year exclusive, yep:

Hogwarts Legacy Quest is PlayStation Exclusive for at Least a Year.

Yep. It becomes available in a year. I would take “best mission” with a bit of a grain of salt, perhaps.

I believe Stephanie Sterling touched on this earlier today on Twitter. They confirmed such a character is in the game but only in an extremely fleeting capacity. A token non-event, essentially.

That’s so irritating. Come on Avalanche, you’re supposed to throw Sony a bone that’s meaningless to most people. Has Call of Duty taught you nothing?

On their podcast Digital Foundry complains about issues with PC games’ shader compilation resulting in poor performance — it seems to come up almost every week or two with them complaining about it appearing in one game or another. I don’t understand the technical details, although I’m sure a lot of people here do. But their bottom line seems to be that many PC games are having major issues this generation in comparison to their Console brethren.

that is so obnoxious, makes me not want to buy the game. Its the same thing they did with Avengers and Spiderman only on PS. WTF is up with that shit? Hey i get it, playstation wants you glued to there console 24/7… can we get them to stop doing this shit? its actually WORSE than just outright making the game exclusive imo.

Just to be super specific about my own quibbles, it looks Souls-like, which I can handle, but on PC does it lock you into controller-speed turning like Elden Ring (there’s $60 I won’t get back, even though I’ve watched an entire playthrough on YouTube) or can you turn at mouse rate? That’s my litmus test for melee/Souls/whatever games. I can’t do controller turn speed.

Are you planning on playing with keyboard and mouse? I’d certainly make sure to look for reviews specifically for that as I have a feeling it’s not going to be great keyboard and mouse.

We played for like 2-3 hours and now I’m going to wait for it to unlock tonight as I’m going to have to replay all that anyway. Unless it takes a dramatic left turn somewhere this is exactly the game I was hoping for. Extreme amounts of detail into every little thing. I just ran around for a half hour checking out the castle. It’s ridiculous.

I do hate the way they did the map. Finding where you are going is not going to be super easy unless it’s a quest you are specifically trying to get to. Not a big deal, but ya not a fan of that. (Or I could be using it wrong. I don’t think so though.)

One thing is for sure is that this game doesn’t just encourage you wandering off it’s highly encourages it. Completionists should have a field day with this one.

Maybe it’s on purpose? I had wondered how they would do a game with the physical Hogwarts being constructed in the game and it being as big and confusing a place as described in the books where you can still get lost after attending it for a few years. Perhaps a confusing map that doesn’t make it easy is on purpose?