Holiday 2020 Stusserbeast recommendation?

I see. This is helpful, thank you @Nesrie and @Quaro. Yes, I know the deal expired but I am on the hunt for something comparable for Cyber Monday.

Cyber Monday deals are good. If you find one you like, pull the trigger. If you don’t, keep looking. Some of the best deals don’t show up until Mid December which is a huge risk for people buying as a gift but those just looking for a deal… who cares if it shows up in January right?

Of course this was pre-COVID so… some norms are nolonger norms.

Many “deals” are nothing of the kind. Watch the Wirecutter to see which ones are worth your attention. They do the homework to see if 1) the product is worth buying and 2) if it’s actually a discount.

This looks like a good deal?

$799 after coupon.

10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10400 processor(6-Core, 12M Cache, 2.9GHz to 4.3GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6
16GB, 1x16Gb, DDR4, 2666Mhz
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive + 1TB 7200 rpm 3.5" SATA Hard Drive

That video card is around 350. CPU is around 170. Have to dig in deep to see if that’s a regular mobo or one of dells custom ones. Harddrive combo isn’t bad… hate that it’s not at least 500GB but for some of the machines we’re lucky they ship an M.2 at all. If that’s ADATA , those two ar probably around 100 together.

What excites people about this one is the GPU. Problem is, that’s the easiest thing to replace later. The rest you’re quasi stuck with.

I think you could probably do better, just a ballpark guess there, not actually seeing better just yet.

Whelp Slickdeals seems to lukewarm like your deal, although a number of them are getting 10 - 15% Cashback with it. You might go check out that deal there to see if you can get that cashback stuff if you’re truly interested.

Thank you for the help @Nesrie

Using some Amex, DPP and some other Cash Back program, some of them are getting it down to 600. At 600, definitely a deal.

I figure if I can make my PC last until Holiday 2021, a PC with a Ryzen 5600 and a 3060Ti and an M2 nVME SSD and 16-32 GB of RAM and a decent power supply and case and Windows 10 should come in around the $1000 range by that point.

In fact, that should theoretically be possible now if supplies weren’t short, right? Ryzen 5 5600 is supposed to be MSRP $220. RTX 3060Ti is $400. Motherboard for around $170, 1TB NVME SSD for around $100. Hmmm, that only leaves $110 for the RAM, case+power supply and windows. Maybe it’s not possible afterall. But maybe by next year?

$299 - 5600X
$399 - 3060ti
$150 - mobo
$100 - PSU
$100 - SSD
$100 - 16GB RAM
$080 - case
`---------------
$1230 or so, plus tax/shipping, and you won’t get the GPU at MSRP as all the AIBs will markup OC versions, etc. Call it $1350 realistically.

I’m looking for a $600-ish desktop gaming system for my daughter for Christmas. If you see any good deals in this price range, please share! Thanks.

Well, I know what I won’t be doing over the holidays. My new gaming PC was supposed to arrive December 18.

$699.99

10th Gen Intel® Core i5-10400 Processor at 2.9GHz (6 core)
16 GB Ram
256 SSD + 1 TB Hard Drive
Intel ® Wi-Fi 6 (2x2) + Bluetooth® 5.0
6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Graphics
10/100/1000 Mbit Ethernet

Costco so good with returns, and this system apparently uses standard parts so you can upgrade it later if you want.

Reading the comments, only a 400w power supply though. So when I want to upgrade the video card, will have to upgrade power supply too. I wonder if Lenovo makes it easy to switch those out in those cases?

If the parts are actually standard, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Based on the thread people think the power supply is standard standard, so should be okay. Though the main thing that makes this a good value is that the 1660 Super is a perfectly good value gaming GPU, so I would only really recommend this system for people who plan on using that card for awhile and then potentially upgrading in a year or something. (Or who could use the 1660 in another system)

It’s not like the rest of the components are going to eat power though. NVidia have to assume the CPU alone can peak draw over 200W in their guidelines - a 10400’s peak draw will be less than half that. They also assume that the PSU’s quoted wattage is a good bit higher than the 12v rail power, which is less common nowadays. Assuming the PSU actually does 400W on the 12v rail, I wouldn’t be surprised if a 3060Ti is good (maybe even a 3070). The AMD equivalents when it comes out will probably be a little more power efficient and less spiky, so would be even more likely to work.

It’s weird how the 1660 super is still basically the “budget” card to get. I think AMD’s next RDNA2 card should be a low end one to try and steal a march on NVidia.

The 1660 (super and Ti) is also the only model in the 1000 series that has an updated NVENC encoder, which is good for Oculus Quest, twitch streaming, or anything that involves low latency streaming from your PC like steam remote play. It’s not even in the 1650.

I just bought the Lenovo listed above and am loving it; thanks @Quaro! (Made my case to my wife and it worked!) Cyberpunk 2077 looks great and runs super smoothly at 1080p & Ultra. It seems like a strong base, too, for possible future gpu upgrades.

I was in checkout on the Costco site, then thought to call my local warehouse, and they had 21 of them in.

Thanks again! 🤗

I’m surprised it runs on Ultra, though I guess that’s Ultra with no raytracing so it does kind of make sense. But really solid for a balanced budget system you can just run out to a store and pick up, and optionally upgrade later without much trouble.