Holiday Sale Damage Thread

Nice catch. I was wondering why you would buy something that’s only $2 off in the sale, so I went to it, and even though it was showing me a sale price of $17.99 on the sale screen, on the game’s page itself it was only $10.

Bought.

Just picked up Resident Evil 2 Remake on Xbox One for 66% off.

All I know about this series is that Milla Jovovich is hot and some guy jumps out at the player and cuts him in half with a chainsaw in one of the games. I read that RE:2 is the best of the series (in this day and age, with 4 being good if you want to kick it old school) and it doesn’t matter if you’ve played the first… which is great because apparently this franchise has been around for 25 years and has had countless sequels, spin-offs, and remakes… and I don’t want to play them all. But I guess #2 works as a stand alone story and is worth playing on its own. So here I am, buying the game on discount and hoping to have a good time.

I’ve been eyeing this one, this and the WH40K: Inquisitor: Martyr: Have Another Colon or something. I don’t really need either but, you know. Tis the season or some such.

Apparently, 4 isn’t old school enough. It is, however, one of the best games in the series and the first of the “modern” RE games that got rid of the tank controls, allowed you to upgrade weapons, and got rid of slow-moving conventional zombies with more action gameplay and less puzzles.

Still, great pacing, good combat, some goofy/crazy plot points and boss battles. RE 4 is just a fun game overall, but RE2 is probably more representative of the older games in some ways.

I think my holiday sales are finally over.

PC:
Steam controller ($13 and change after shipping, tax, and Steambucks)

Xbox One:
Kingdom Hearts III ($15; needed something for free shipping and don’t have regular access to a PS4 at the moment to play my copy on there when the big DLC expansion finally comes out)

Switch:
AI: The Somnium Files ($30)
Downwell ($1.50)
Danmaku Unlimited 3 ($2.50)
Gato Roboto ($3.99)
12-month Switch Online card ($14.99)

Other:
Anker USB-C cable for my Switch ($12.99)
Eight buttons and a joystick to repair one of my fightsticks ($31 and change with tax; one of the major consumer-focused arcade parts vendors was doing a Cyber Monday sale today, so I got everything for 25% off and with free shipping)

I bought significantly more than in previous years, which feels a bit weird, but I’m happy with everything I got.

I spent an embarrassing amount on DS and 3DS games between the BOGO sale Gamestop was running, and the eShop sale. Picked up physical copies of Pokemon Conquest, Advanced Wars: Dual Strike, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter Stories, and Fire Emblem: Birthright. Also grabbed digital copies of Stella Glow, Culdcept Revolution and 7th Dragon III Code: VFD.

For Switch I grabbed Labyrinth of Refrain and Puzzle Quest. On PlayStation I just spent about $120 on $150 of store credit across a couple deals. Only game purchase with that credit was Devil May Cry 5.

I hope you’ll share your impressions on both of those. One being NIS, I’m scared of the lore dumpings, the other I only read conflicting reports everytime I try to look some up.

This was so much fun.

Didn’t get anything on Steam yet, but I am still adding/removing games from my cart, heck I might hold off on the steam games till the winter sale in 3 weeks, I have a few hours to decide.

Thinking of getting for STEAM:

Jurassic World Evolution
Warstone TD
HOB
The Spatials: Galactology
DARQ
Disco Elysium

PS4 games I bought black during BF week:

Spider Man GOTY
Infamous Second Son
Days Gone
The Last Guardian
Shadow of the Colossus
Ratchet & Clank

Hardware I bought on BF:

8TB WD external hd.
2TB Crucial MX500 SSD.
64GB Sandisk Cruzer Flash Drive.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I finally got one thing from the Steam sale.

That’ll be it for me for likely the rest of the year.

giphy

I’ve got Total Warhammer 2 in the cart at Fanatical, for $17, and there’s a 95% chance I’ll buy it tomorrow. I wonder if the two “mystery keys” are worth it… (Probably not.)

So far:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (origin)
Resident Evil 2 (Remake) (GMG)
Heroes VII Complete (Steam)
Forza Horizon 4 Lego expansion (Xbox)
Shadow of the Colussus Remaster (PS4)
Wipeout Omega Collection (PS4)
Dad of War (PS4)
Waterpik (Amazon) - wait, this isn’t a game, it’s teeth peripheral.
Xbox One Recon Controller (Amazon) - again, not a game, but at least it’s a game peripheral.
Amazon Prime month (Mrs Maisal - Squeeeeee) + Nick Hits (Avatar: The Last Airbender Seasons 2 and 3 + Legend of Korra if I have time).

I’m not as optimistic as @BrianRubin about being able to resist the Christmas/New Year’s sales though. I bet I’ll add to my backlog in that one too.

3 months of XBox Game Pass Ultimate ($25 CAD, half price)
Civ VI Gathering Storm ($20ish from Fanatical)
Street Fighter V Champion Edition Upgrade Kit Bundle ($33 CAD from Steam)
Hitman 2 Gold ($20ish from Fanatical)
Metro Exodus ($20ish from Epic)
SimCity 3000 Unlimited ($3?ish from GOG)
Knights and Bikes (from GOG)

Hmm ok… I did end up getting a few Steam games!

Aragami Collector’s Edition
Salt and Sanctuary
Golem
Hero of the Kingdom III
Jurassic World Evolution Deluxe

XCOM 2 collection (for $21 dollars, now THATS a sale)

Thea 2 ( I refunded thea 1 when it came out after 45 minutes of play time…it had the interface from hell…lets hope 2 is better)

All I ended up nabbing over the long sale week/weekend was that deal on HOMM VII complete on Steam. I did get State of Decay : Year One Survival Edition for free as a reward for owning the original and holding out for a $5 or less sale (that never happened) on YOSE. Looks like I’m not the only one either judging from the amount of YOSE adds in my Steam friends activity feeds. I actually started playing it last week, and now I’m totally hooked all over again.

I gave serious thought to making several purchases at several different digital retailers, but in the end I kept talking myself out of them with a combination of:

• Winter/Holiday Sales are coming
  • You need to play more backlog games first
  • That looks like a prime Humble Monthly or other Bundle candidate

That’s not to say I did not do my part for the economy over the weekend though. I dropped $380 at NewEgg on long overdue hardware upgrades which will become my Christmas presents from my wife and kids. =) They had a monster deal on a Ryzen 7 2700X for only $160 (that’s an $80+ discount), and I got a nice MSI mobo and some GSkillz Ripjaws RAM and a CoolerMaster 212 EVO heatsink/fan to round it all out. Plus the Ryzen came with 3 months of Xbox Gaming Pass AND a free copy of Outer Worlds.

Picked up:

• 2 Steam controllers (one for my son, one for me)
  • Finished my GalCiv III DLC (didn’t have Retribution)
  • Citystate
  • Hyper Knights & Battles DLC
  • Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions DLC
  • Aragami collector’s edition & Knightfall DLC

edit - oh, I also pre-ordered the DLC for Total War: Warhammer 2: The Shadow & The Blade, but that wasn’t really a part of the sale so much as me being me.

I was wondering why everyone is buying State of Decay. Aragami was fun, really liked it.

Grabbed a bit more from steam:

• Antagonist
  • Batman Enemy Within
  • Date Warp
  • Don’t Give Up
  • Glass Masquerade dlc
  • Hexcells collection
  • Sceptic’s Guide to Magic
  • Skylar and Plux’s Adventure
  • Snowball

I’m still gaming on 300$ Acer & 100$ Lenovo ideapad toasters. Flashy computer games can wait until I work through my backlog of old/indie stuff. :)