Holiday Sale Damage Thread

Total damage is around $150 for me, including Knack 2 and Everybody’s Golf on PS4.

Indeed. I still love the game. I spent most of the holiday tagging some new planetary nebula. Elite remains the best exploration game you can buy. There is a good few hundred hours of pure gaming goodness in Elite if you start today. That said Frontier REALLY need to up their development cadance in the game and add more gameplay systems. Looking back the whole Thargoid stuff was a huge mistake and the wrong direction, it left the elder game very under developed. Anyway hopefully they will get back in track in 2018.

The Humble Monthly is pretty awesome. It has definitely saved me money in the last year, especially during these sales.

Humble has definitely curtailed my spending as well. I’d have probably taken a flyer on Agents of Mayhem but that game screams Monthly headliner to me. Final damage:

PC:
Fire Pro Wrestling World
Sword Coast Legends
River City Ransom Underground (bought and refunded)
Okami HD
Cuphead
Concrete Jungle
Hue
Stories: The Path of Destinies
Hyperdimension Neptunia U

PSN:
Yakuza 0
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Concrete Jungle was thanks to everyone here mentioning it and I’m enjoying it so far, but expect to hit the same wall that @lordkosc did.

Also picked up both seasons of Con Man on Steam. Lesson learned - Steam is set up to sell games. Their video library features and player leave a lot to be desired.

So how many games from last year’s Humble Monthlies did you actually play? I got 5 bundles (of all kinds combined) in 2017, and didn’t play even a single game from 3 of them. It would have been cheaper to buy the games I actually played individually.

That’s how I feel about it, honestly. Unless the headliner is something that I’d want to play and don’t mind shelling out 12 bucks for, I’m not willing to take the risk. Got way too many games to futz with already. Plus what with IGN buying Humble, who knows whether our extra unredeemed/undownloaded Humble games will even be around in a year or two. Remember the D3D fiasco.

I’ve played at least one game from each month’s bundle, but more importantly, it has added to my library multiple games I do want to play but simply haven’t had time (or taken the time) to try. So when I get the urge to buy something in a Steam Sale or a weekly sale, etc. I simply don’t, because I already have others I could play backlogged in there and with each passing month, a game I thought I’d like to try (especially indies) ends up in the bundle and therefore I’ve saved money over the long run.

That’s how I view it, anyway. I suppose it’s better to spend the grand total of $0 on anything until I’m ready to play something, but the Monthly seems to satiate my need to buy another PC game for the price of one lunch out a month.

@Papageno Redeem your games or give them away ASAP. That’s what I do. I just add them to my Steam account so they’re mine as soon as the bundle hits. I have a few to give away/give to my kids that aren’t redeemed because they’re duplicates, but having stopped buying a lot of things on impulse, most games just go right into my Steam account.

Get outta here with your logic and reason!

Fair enough :) If you’re actually playing some games from every bundle, a money saving argument seems justified. I just get the feeling that it’s not how bundles end up working for most people.

I guess it depends on their commitment to saving money? If you’re buying things in sales that you always play, then you’re better served without the Monthly.

It’s like any subscription, though. Sometimes you’ll get right to it and sometimes you won’t. Magazines, music, you name it nowadays. Everything is a service. If you’re paying and not using it, that’s on you. Value is different for everyone when it comes to subscribing.

What I really like is I own these games. It’s not like PS Plus or Xbox Live Gold where they’re only available if I keep paying. These are keys for games I will never lose until the nuclear holocaust started by Trump or I die, whichever comes first (or both at the same time!).

If I get the Company of Heroes 2 bundle as a gift, can I redeem everything but the base game?

Hmm, I think it depends on whether it’s a single key for everything? Maybe you get everything but the base game added to your account, and lose the extra base game.

Well, I would purchase it as a gift, and hopefully get separate keys, but I am not sure.

Unless explicitly mentioned, no Steam bundles give gifts. I think the only ones that do are Valve stuff, and they might’ve stopped doing that when the “complete the set” bundles went live.

One final addition to my damage after a friend mentioned they’d be interested: Tabletop Simulator 4-pack

I love Steam Sales. This year’s haul:

Tyranny
Pillars of Eternity
Tides of Numenera
Dishonored 2

And a few bucks spent on Warframe gear and cosmetics. I have some great gaming ahead!

Oh man, I love this. I mean I say that as someone who never actually played the RPG, I just collected sourcebooks and modules as reading material. They always had such great adventures in them, I wish I could have tried them out but I didn’t really have any fellow geeks as a kid. Aw man, my story got sad.

Oh, I hear you. When I visit my parents’ house, I think that I should take back the shelves’ worth of Palladium Books games that I collected and almost never got a chance to play with human friends…but I had a great time reading them.

I think I remember at least one earlier Star Trek RPG. Which one did you have? The one I got just came out last year, so there aren’t many (any?) sourcebooks or adventures yet. It’s by Modiphius, not FASA.

https://www.amazon.com/Modiphius-Entertainment-Adventures-Rulebook-Playing/dp/1910132853/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514899016&sr=8-1&keywords=star+trek+adventures+RPG

I think if I GM it for my friends, I can “borrow” a lot of adventure material from the Star Trek Online game. It will be a lot easier to run an adventure for tabletop game than it was to write scripting and set up all the art for a fan mission in STO. On the other hand, this particular edition or ruleset emphasizes challenges where can players use a gamified scientific method to solve technobabble problems, or exploration for its own reward. It’s not combat nearly all the time like in the MMORPG. Would the old modules you mention transfer over to the new game?

I decided to add to my collection a bit. I had a budget of about $40.

Aven Colony, Round 2. I returned it on release for being boring. I picked it up and will keep it this time as the price and content are better. ($15)
The Guild 2. I quite enjoy these games. It is too bad that this one is so entirely broken that it is worthless. ($3)
Stars in Shadow. I got a big fat feeling of meh on this one. Returned. ($0)
Stellaris Synthetic Dawn. I am not sure if I will play the expansion content much but I play this game too much not to buy the expansion ($8).
Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Good buy. Goodbye, Chloe and Rachel. ($11)
Motorsport Manager DLC. If I ever play this again I will use this DLC. ($2)
Max Curse of the Brotherhood. Looks interesting. ($4)
Turbo Dismount. Looked more interesting watching JackSepticEye playing this. ($3)
INSIDE. What the fuck did I just play? LIMBO on shrooms? ($10)
Dex. This seems underrated but I will find out more when I actually play it. ($3)
Metal Dead. It looks stupid which is perfect for me. ($2)
Sunless Sea, Round 2. Another blast from the past. This should be a game I like but the speed and punishing aspects of it (terror, fuel, food) just killed the exploration. I downloaded a mod to boost speed and eliminate those annoyances. I ended up playing it for 4 hours last night and actually enjoying Funless Sea. ($5)
Planescape Torment. Simply because it is the best RPG ever. ($7)

Total spent: $72.

Damn Steam sales.

I only bought two games:
Regions of Ruin: Having a blast at this game! Why is there (social) Xmas and new year to interrupt my gaming time?
Dungeon Warfare: Has good reviews and want to play another TD next to Defence Grid 1+2

Maybe tonight i’ll buy Portal 1+2 for my wife. She has a new laptop and i could introduce her to Portal 1 and after she has finished it, play Portal 2 together.

All my Star Trek stuff dates from the 80s, and actually I’ve still got a bunch of it stuck in a closet somewhere. I think I’ll dig them out when I get home and post some pictures for comparison.

Not much for me this time. I threw almost everything on my wishlist instead for the next sale. I miss the giant publisher bundles.

Trillion
Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon
Fairy Fencer F
Doki Doki Literature Club

Put a couple hours into Trillion already, it’s interesting. Princess maker + Visual novel + SRPG. Similar to ZHP or Guided Fate Paradox if anyone else enjoyed those.