Holiday Sale Damage Thread

Ironically my Sale Damage is only from gifts to other people so far.

I believe I picked up Hearts of Iron IV for @ShivaX

Also I bought Nioh for @Scotch_Lufkin because he whined about it not being on sale, which is more ironic, even.

It’s Christmas-time, though!

It’s completely worth it and getting a sinple player update alongside a multiplayer update… soonish.

I love Thea. It’s one of my top games. Technically it is repetitive but it never feels that way to me. I have almost 400 hours into it. Its’ gotta to be my most played game of all time outside of maybe some of the MMOs I used to play.

So, I have $22 I could spend and stay within my goal, but coming in under my goal would be good too.

Every time I’m tempted by a game I ask myself, “Do I already have a game that will fill this role as well as the one I’m considering”?

The Surge? I think I’d enjoy it just as much if I played a second play through of Lords of the Fallen as another class.

Kingdoms and Castles? I’ve only tinkered with Tropico 5.

Shadow Warrior 2? I can play more Doom and go after some of the challenges I missed, or play on a hardeer difficulty.

Polaris Sector? Well, that one is harder because I haven’t been too crazy about any of the recent space 4X space games (Stellaris, Endless Space 2, Gal Civ 3), but I have been meaning to go back to Civ IV and see if I can rekindle my love for the series. V and VI aren’t bad, but haven’t pulled me in nearly as much as IV.

Northgard? Seems like it shares similarities with The Settlers 7.

Does anyone else use a similar strategy when trying to keep their spending in check?

I may pick up a cheap game or DLC. How is Regency Solitaire? I liked Fairie Solitaire quite a bit. I’ve been playing Fairway Solitarie on my phone, but the free to playness of it is souring me on it.

Regency Solitaire is really great, for its atmosphere and obvious attention to details. It’s more of Fairie/Fairway Solitaire, with a writing I fondly enjoyed, but I am not a native speaker.

When I got money I want to compulsatory spend but would prefer to wait for better deals for my own games, I check my friend’s wishlist and hopefully, something lurking at 75% off is there! (when they are not from Canada and didn’t clear it all overnight ¬_¬)

XCOM 2 tangent: should I play XCOM 2 vanilla first, for the first time, and save War of the Chosen for my 2nd playthrough? Or should I install and play them both?

For XCOM 1, I have no problem with Enemies Within. In fact, I can’t imagine playing XCOM without Enemies Within.

Yes, XCOM2 + WotC was a pretty big hit. I think I’m done this year.

I’d just play War of the Chosen. It makes XCOM 2 substantially better. There really isn’t a reason to play the game without it if you own it.

I only have one monitor, so that’s not an issue for me. That said, it’s kind of tough to figure out. I printed out the manual last night (only 14 pages, but beats a blank) and plan to spend time with it over the weekend.

Do you own Stars in Shadow? If not I recommend that over Polaris Sector. They are different but I find Stars in Shadow more fun.

I haven’t played WOTC but watched a “let’s play” of the first few hours. There is so much going on on the global map, it’s bonkers. Might not hurt to play the original campaign through once so it doesn’t feel so overwhelming. Assuming you have the 60 odd hours you need to play the game twice. Or maybe you like stress in which case WOTC looks perfect :)

I know it’s been said many times, but the Steam sales just aren’t the same without the 12-hour flash sales. They were what made the sales fun and worthwhile for me, at least.

Yeah… Back then I definitely bought more games, but I’m not sure I actually spent more on games then (or played more of my acquisitions) than today. Guess the main difference is that my backlog isn’t growing as fast as it used to?

I second this emotion.

We’re they that low though? I don’t remember buying 6 month old games for $10 or anything like that. Now, pretty much everything on my wish list is on sale. Anything over a year old is very cheap it seems, except some of the big AAA games.

It could be my memory sucks, but I just don’t remember getty crazy good deals 4 years ago.

There was a time it was pretty crazy, especially with AAA games in my souvenir, and especially with Amazon going overboard to match up and beat Steam at their game. I remember getting GTA 4 and LA Noire for 5 bucks, which was pretty insane.
I don’t mind the current sales, but I only buy minor indie stuff. I understand people aiming for bigger titles being disappointed by the now much less crazy discounts.

So far I only bought one game for myself on sale, a whopping $3 savings was had when I picked up Low Magic Age for $3 and change.

Hey guys, Low Magic Age is really fucking cool and everyone should get a copy. I gifted a copy to @Knightsaber and my cousin, because they didn’t have it and enjoy 3rd edition DnD,which is basically what this is. So much potential here, and tons of fun to be had as is for THREE DOLLARS.

Anyway, I also gifted Dominions V to @Knightsaber because I think he’ll dig it and I like supporting Illwinter. It’s not on sale though, so I’m not sure that…counts?

I gifted @ShivaX a copy of Age of Rivals because it seems a little like Spectromancer and he and I both love that. I’m going to get myself a copy of AoR as soon as I get some more funds, which should be before the end of the sale. In fact, I have a list of things I’d like to pick up when I get some cash, which will either be today… or next Friday. Hard to say.

Blank _241dbfe1e13ccd85903fe5b6b28a80dd

:)

I bought quite a bit, filled in some old gaps, bought a few new games too. Although this may be a product of both getting laid off recently and breaking my foot - my wife is actually asking me to hang out at the pc and not try to walk around.

Age of Rivals $4.99
Final Fantasy IX (Never played it!) $10.49
FTL $2.49
Hollow Knight $9.89
Satellite Reign $2.99
Spelunky $1.49
Steamworld Dig 2 $12.99
Tower of Time $12.74

This is really smart. I mostly just try to remember all the games I bought in the last sale that I haven’t started playing yet. But that isn’t as effective. Trying to think of specific games I have that I haven’t started playing yet that are similar to the ones I’m tempted by in the sale sounds like a better technique.

Let me try:

I shouldn’t be tempted by Shadow Warrior 2 because I have to finish FPSs Wolfenstein 2, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Cop first.

I shouldn’t be tempted by CoD: Infinite Warfare because I have to finish CoD: Black Ops 1, 2.

I should be tempted by Steep because I have to first finish SSX, the Xbox 360 reboot of the franchise.

I shouldn’t be tempted by Redout because I hated the last few Wipeout games, so it makes no goddamn sense that I’m still tempted by the genre. Reminder: I probably don’t like futuristic racers any more. If a new Star Wars: Pod Racing game comes out, then talk to me again about futuristic racers Rock8man.

I shouldn’t be tempted by Batman: Return to Arkham, because I’ve already played through both those fucking games already. Wouldn’t you rather play new games that you haven’t played before but bought, and are sitting in your damn backlog instead?

Ok, this is starting to get a little hostile. I’m putting Rock8man in a timeout. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea.

I mainly put together a Steam wishlist before a big sale and only purchase those games, and only if they’re a bargain. No impulse buys. I won’t even visit the main store page, lest I be tempted. This seems to work out well for me.

If I’m not finding any super bargains, I might pick one game in my wishlist I know I’ll play right now, just to treat myself. I try hard not to dump more games into the backlog. But as you guys know, that’s often a futile effort. :)

Actually, thanks for reminding me. I do have Stars in Shadow - which I haven’t played in a while.