Holiday Sale Damage Thread

I picked up a couple copies of Sword Coast Legends thanks to recommendations here, one for me and one gifted to a Steam friend.

I will probably pluck an item or two off the wishlist in the sale but not much. Too many games in the queue still waiting to be played.

I could be misremembering too. I think more games had steep discounts back then. It probably took at least a year after release before games would get 50% or better discounts though. Today, it seems like more games are trying to avoid the 75%+ discounts to retain some value but there is a small portion of AAA games that have seen some very quick discounts - like Bethesda’s Prey, Wolfenstein 2, Evil Within 2.

Renowned Explorers: International Society
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Maybe it’s best to take baby steps :-)

What is it about this game that warrants so many positive reviews and so few (2.8%) negative reviews? Please inform me, as I don’t know much about it and feel like I’m missing out! :-)

Hopefully someone else can share, I am in the middle of building my new PC (yay!) so I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. It looks like it might play like the old ‘Commandos’ games, which were a lot of fun.

I have $22 and change in Steambucks right now (trading cards are amazing!), but I don’t have anything I’m actually looking to buy on PC right now, and haven’t for a while - everything I’ve felt like playing has been on other platforms, primarily Switch, and that’s on top of my continued lack of a computer viable for gaming.

I did buy copies of Sword Coast Legends for myself and my girlfriend, since it’s on fire sale, and I picked up SteamWorld Dig 2 for $15 on Switch and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

It just has such good system for handling stealth, line of sight, movement, abilities, the ability to plan out simultaneous actions. The artwork is great. It’s challenging (sometimes a bit too much for me). The UI is good.

The two games I really want (Dragon Age:Inquisition and Mass effect:Andromeda) aren’t on Steam. What I want from Steam doesn’t go on sale (Dark Souls 3 DLC).

Pretty good bullet points; I agree. I also like the theme a lot.

That sucks. This goes on sale on Xbox on every sale.

Now I just need to play it. Going back to Dark Souls 3 after such a long break (in which I finished Dark Souls 1, and DLC, and Dark Souls 2) was a bad idea. I’m just not used to it anymore. Maybe I should start over instead of trying to kill that giant tree.

I wasn’t going to buy anything, but now I am seriously considering buying several games anyway. Ori and the Blind Forest (not sure my pc will run it though), Pillars of eternity (probably very time-consuming…), hearts of iron IV, Sword Coast Legends, Age of Decadence…

Talk me out of (some of) these, will you?

Edit: after reading some more, I talked myself out of Heart of Iron. I definitely do not have the time to get into that game…

DS3 isn’t as good as DS1, but what could be. There are some really good boss fights in the game though. Not quite Artorias good but close.

I really enjoyed it up to the place I got to. I thought it was a lot more like Dark Souls 1 than the sequel (which I didn’t enjoy).

You were still in a part of the game that wasn’t so linear. Later on it becomes more like DS2. But there are lots of call backs to DS1 in the game and I thought it was a good game. One thing with DS3 I liked was that if you wanted you could summon on almost every boss, whereas I don’t believe that was the case with the other games. After 2 run thrus I have now beaten every boss but 3 solo, and one of those I will always summon on because of a certain NPC.

Just skip Mr. Tree for now and come back later. Which reminds me, I need to go back and kill him before I finish the 4th Lord!

Killing him early opens up the magical world of Boss weapons.

And now Star Traders: Frontiers. That should be it for me. I recently picked up Rim World and Dominions 5.

The reviews make is sound so intriguing.

“Качественная реалистичная RTS, практически не имеющая современных аналогов и конкурентов и способная растопить сердце самого либерального любителя стратегий. А для патриотических тактиков это просто жемчужина.”
7.7 – Riot Pixels

“Фанаты жанра в лице «Сирии» получили отличную стратегию — зрелищную, сложную и реалистичную, а также позволяющую почти для каждого боя придумать с полдесятка вариантов прохождения.”
8.0 – Игры@mail ru

“Резюмируя (и перефразируя одного из персонажей “Белого солнца пустыни”) - за Державу НЕ обидно.”
8.4 – Gmbox

It was hard to pass up Elite Dangerous for $7.49. I also got Age of Wonders III for the same price yesterday and then proceeded to play it for 3 hours. I spent most of that time mentally kicking myself for not buying this game a long time ago. I LOVED Master of Magic back in the day and AOW3 scratches the itch.