Holiday Travel

Hey folks,

I was just curious what everyone is planning to do this year over the holiday season. I have about two weeks I can take off but still trying to figure out what I’m going to do so also hoping for some inspiration that won’t break the bank ;)

… This may also be an excellent place for secret santees to drop some additional hints

Well, last night I booked a 5 day trip to Rome for the week before christmas. Got some cheap flights and rented an apartment, really looking forward to exploring the city. Hopefully it won’t be that packed!

Nice! I’ve yet to been to Italy but it’s on my bucket list. I always mull over which season to visit in and up pushing it back over and over…

Well, it does help that I live in Europe, so a quick trip is easier to make. Seasonwise, I would avoid the peak of summer due to the crowds and the heat, so Spring / Autumn are usually good choices to head off. Assuming you are not bound by school holiday schedules…

Like I said, not sure if peak christmastime to the heart of the catholic church is a sensible choice for my trip, but it’ll probably be fun anyway!

I’m in the same boat, here. We’re forced to burn 3 days of PTO between Christmas and New Years, so I figured we should just go away somewhere. Looking into it, the cruises we typically due in August are 3x-4x the price over the holidays. Not unexpected, but kinda hard to swallow.

My wife is digging around for options, but it looks like it’s gonna be a “staycation” again this year…

Do you recommend cruises in general? I’ve yet to go on one and have noticed that even moderately expensive cruises are actually cheaper than staying in decent hotel in most locations so I’m pretty intrigued. I do worry a bit about being ‘stuck’ if I don’t like it though.

If you happen to have to get to England from NY and don’t like flying, spending 5 days on the ship is quite relaxing :)

I’ve been on cruises for my last 6 or 7 vacations. Frankly, I can’t imagine being ‘stuck’ in a resort on the same beach for a week. I love waking up every morning in a different country.

Minor update - after going through a dozen possible itineraries we decided to embrace the winter and opt for a ski trip in Vermont. Seems to be the most economical of the options we were looking at. Hoping I don’t get a concussion crashing into another person this time around!

Looks like the Speed 3 remake is gonna be LIT