Hollow Knight - convince me to keep playing

It’s one of my favorites of 2017! The music and atmosphere is top notch. I still can’t believe it was made by such a small team.

Just for those popping into the thread, it’s received a decent discount on Steam, and it’s well worth checking out. :)

Hit the green area, wish fast travel was a bit more prominent as I walked all the way back to town from here to buy some gear.

Yeah for a sequel I would love to see a Dark Souls 2 style ease-of-use enhancement by letting you warp to and from any bench.

Bought it, it it likely to be ok for 4-6yo’s to tool around in?

Yeah, it’d be fine. The tone is kinda dark, but also cute? They won’t get terribly far or appreciate the things that are really great about it, but I assume neither of those things are so important for kids just dinking around.

I was going through this thread thinking I knew exactly what you were talking about and then I realized you weren’t talking about Shovel Knight. I didn’t realize we had two different blank knight games.

Yeah, I used to think the same thing. It was posts in the “What will you play this weekend” thread that set me straight on it, and I realized that they were two different games.

Both excellent games. I prefer Hollow’s Metroidvania structure over Shovel’s linear level collection, but that’s definitely a matter of taste. Both feature some amazing level design. I find Hollow less frustrating, which I think is the main reason I like it.

I just hit 100% completion on Hollow Knight, although there’s definitely more to do. I have all but one charm, and all the mask and soul upgrades. I think I’m about to hit the final boss for the second time.

Waypoint’s has a great feature on how in a year full of Soulslikes Hollow Knight stands out against other seemingly similar games.

I just started playing this, why didn’t someone tell me it was so good, you jerks! ;)

Picked this up tonight more or less on a whim, and I feel pretty well sucked in after an hour of play. I love the art style, and it’s really nailing the lonely and desolate vibe of the Souls series for me.

I do tend to suck at platformers, though; so we’ll see how long I stick with it.

I really love this game, but I keep getting frustrated with moments of not knowing where to go next. I’ve had to look up several times something I’m missing after roaming the levels looking for where to go. Does this get better later? I’m up to the Mantis dudes near the Fungal Wastes.

The platforming isn’t too bad except one optional challenge area.

Sense of direction is the same throughout. Take a peek at a walkthrough if you don’t have the patience for it like me. It didn’t bother my experience at all.

Fungal Wastes tip: you can super jump off the bouncy mushrooms. But I’m pretty sure you’re already past that.

My experience was more that I usually knew several places I could go, but didn’t always know which was the best next step. That’s easier to deal with than being stuck, because you can at least go see if you feel outclassed in each area and pursue the one that feels easiest. When you looked stuff up, what kinds of things were you missing? Wall-climbing areas?

I’m really enjoying it but fearing the next boss. I look at walkthroughs to see which general area I should head to next and where the next bench is. I did the same in the souls games to find the next bonfire. I’m not as hardcore as you guys but it is at a difficulty level I find enjoyable.

Boy, I have just fallen head over heels for this thing. The difficulty level has hit a perfect sweet spot for me so far, the soundtrack is incredible, it’s flat out gorgeous to look at, and the world design is outstanding. I meant to play for just a few minutes this morning, and it’s sucked up pretty much my entire day.

Yeah I need to get back to this, tiny trains taking up all my free time.

This is the thing I was most pleasantly surprised by. I’m used to some dark, moody platformers being just brutal. (I’m looking at you, Rain World.) Hollow Knight is consistently challenging, but I always come out the other side.

Er, eleborate? 😀

:D

This thread!