Hollow Knight - convince me to keep playing

Frankly, none of the other Metroidvanias released in the recent years come close to what Hollow Knight is offering in my opinion. It is one special game.

I don’t think you’re wrong. I just wish it had a better save system.

I wish I had known you could cheap it, back when in-game finances were an issue and when my ghost got teleported some odd places!

This game is just too sad to keep playing. I’m feeling emotions about killing these poor bugs, and as I progress through the game the world changes in some bad ways. Am I the real monster?

Maybe you are not? Maybe you can choose to become it?

It’s interesting, this is part of the spectrum of multiple emotions and approaches I felt during Dark Souls, until (Dark Souls spoilers)the Catarina knight was killed alongside me in a battle, at which point I lost it and swore to end that world and its fallacy, and proceeded to destroy all of it, to the wonderful ending.

I must confess I have no idea of whom I am so far in Hollow Knight, excepting there are big, hanging signs, showing I am disturbing stuff that should be left alone. Damn that curiosity thing!

Well I found your metal balls, what arseholes.

I have so many different bosses available to fight now, it’s kind of overwhelming. Also I think I’m two movement powers behind on re-exploring the world.

I am not sure how far I am in game, but I finally got this working! :D

The way the levels intertwine, gives me DarkSouls-esq hot flashes of joy. :D

Team Cherry have released a new beta update on Steam and provided a status update for the Switch port.

Very nice! I am still only half way thru this, gotta get back before I lose my L33t timing skills.

Lifeblood is out!

I’m really excited about the Switch version. I’m maybe halfway done with the game on Steam so I stopped playing for now so I can restart on Switch. Will be a great game to play on flights.

Man, I honestly don’t know if I want more content for this game, especially if it’s harder than the rest. Is that dumb?

Not at all.

This isn’t the last major update. It’s like a mini update.

I may not even bother to reinstall. Most DLC feels like an annoyance and can’t recapture the original experience. Hollow Knight definitely falls into this category.

Switch version came out last night. Really well done and I don’t even mind that I’m starting over.

As an aside: I wish games would generate a save password (like old NES days) so I can switch platforms without starting over.

Which platform did you play on first and how does the Switch version compare? I’m thinking hard about getting this…

I played it on PC but didn’t finish. Once I knew a Switch version was imminent I set it aside to wait for it. I can’t comment on how it plays docked as I only spent my 3 hour flight this afternoon playing it. It looks fantastic and just as good as the PC version. Gameplay is a perfect match with no performance problems. Load times are minimal to non existent. Well worth $15 especially if you’ve never played it.

I’ve never played it before and picked it up yesterday. I’m having a blast, so far. My daughters also both are enjoying it. Cutting their teeth on Spelunky finally is paying off. ;)

The NintendoSwitch subreddit seem to love it.

I played 10 hours on the PC and the switch version is just as good, controls are tight as well. Plays great in handheld mode. I would recommend this to everyone!