Holy $%^&! Baldur's Gate 3 news 2018 !

That’s so strange, the story was pretty much concluded and concluded again in 2 and its expansion.

Here’s an apparent denial, though the question obviously is, how believable is it?

Personally I enjoy the visuals and the engine on D:OS, so reckon that it would be a nice upgrade from the infinity engine. How well Larian could do with a solid narrative is not that clear.

We reached out to Larian Studios and they denied the rumor, adding that they haven’t bought any IP and they are continuing to work on Divinity, though the next project (codenamed Gustav) will be properly announced only when the time is right.

There may be a Baldur’s Gate 3 happening - could see trying to cash in on Divinity/Pillars/Wasteland success - but I can’t imagine Larian would be interested in doing it.

Yep, agree with both of you. Larian, from narrative standpoint, doesn’t seem like the right fit for the seriousness/darkness of BG. Then we are back to why would Fargo lie (doubtful). Maybe like the piece says, it’s his studio…

Most accurate thread title in this place.

My reaction.

hahahahaha!

I don’t know why I need more Baldur’s Gate. Don’t get me wrong, I think 2 especially is one of the all time great CRPGs. But nothing about that is inherently transferred to a sequel or other game using the name (remember Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance?), nor is the story in need of a conclusion.

Nice jazz hands Scott!

I don’t understand this sentiment. Who cares if the “story wrapped up well” before? Why would anyone that loved the original games (especially 2, who doesn’t adore 2?) not want a reason to do it again, this time with (dare we hope) an updated engine and maybe (double dare we hope) updated D&D rules, like 5E? Fuck the story, it’s all about gameplay for me, and I want more of that. A great story would be a nice bonus.

Amen, and I have no faith whatsoever in the Divinity team to deliver on the gameplay or story fronts at this point.

If it’s made by a new team, with a new rule set and a new engine, how does calling it “Baldur’s Gate” mean anything?

Yes! Still one of my favorite games. Before BG:DA I used to think ARPGs are for PC-only, but this game proved me wrong. Probably one of the best games on the PS2.

There have been many ARPGs for the consoles since then, including Diablo 3, which is really great on console, but I still think the original BG: Dark Alliance is still the best ARPG for consoles.

I finished the game in Coop, with one friend playing a sorceress, another playing a dwarf fighter, and I was an elvish ranger I believe. And our reward for finishing the game? We unlocked a dungeon that was really fun, which we played as a new character called Drzzt, apparently someone from D&D books. Anyway, we had gotten used to the 3 characters in the game, so to play someone with completely new abilities and rhythm for fighting was an amazing bonus reward for finishing the game.

Oh man, that brings back good memories. Thanks for the reminder.

Because it takes place in or around Baldur’s Gate? And maybe features characters from the first few games? It could be an all new tale that picks up 10 years later, or something. Also, the obvious answer is, brand recognition. Also also, it’s still Dungeons & Dragons.

10 years later would be good. But they can go into prequel territory and tell some backstories. How about Gorion in his youth? How Jaheira Met Khaleed?

I’d be all over that. Baldur’s Gate 2 is my favorite RPG of all time!

Imagine Baldur’s Gate 3 in 2019…Icewind Dale 3 in 2020…Wizardry 9 in - well I can dream!

Don’t get me wrong, if the entire original team that did Baldur’s Gate 2 wanted to do a third one, or at least everyone that personally impacted the design and development of that game, I would be chomping at the bit. But that team is scattered to the four winds. All calling something Baldur’s Gate is at this point is trading on name recognition. I would love a faithful, substantial D&D CRPG (preferably with turn-based combat), but if it’s not going to meaningfully inherit the legacy I would actively rather it make its own way than pretend to a connection with Baldur’s Gate. And frankly, I would want it to use a different setting (Forgotten Realms is fine but I have been there and done that, and it’s not inherently interesting to me the way things like Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Planescape, etc are. But heck, even somewhere in the FR we haven’t been yet would be better than more Sword Coast.).

Sure, I can see that. And to some extent, I agree.

But mostly I don’t really care - as long as we (fucking finally) get an official D&D licensed game. The last one that wasn’t a multiplayer/multiplayer mess was probably Temple of Elemental Evil, aprox. 20 years ago or whatever.

And I for one would love a 5E D&D game, even if it’s RTwP (which of course it will be). Pathfinder is the closest we’ve come to scratching that itch for some time, outside of non-D&D stuff that’s close (like PoE).

I mean, if they make a good D&D CRPG and call it Baldur’s Gate 3, i would play it of course. I just don’t see anything inherently exciting about that name. Frankly, the Pillars games are about what I would want out of a BG followup anyway, minus them still being RTWP.

And for the record, I brought up the story because there -are- game series out there that abruptly ended with big sequel hooks left hanging and so even if a sequel project for those didn’t have the whole original creative team attached it might be exciting just to get some kind of resolution. (Shenmue, Dreamfall Chapters, etc, though those two have happened/are happening.) Baldur’s Gate is not that.

On that, we definitely agree.

NWN/NWN2?

Especially their expansions HOTD and MOTB respectively.

Sure, but that was still 12 years ago or whatever. NWN 2 was only a few years after ToEE, according to a quite search. My point is it’s been a really long time, I didn’t mean to exclude NWN 2, especially since Storm of Zehir was my go-to D&D experience for a super long time.